Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There is an army on the march. Is it possible to witness and join the fight?  (Read 4313 times)

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello there,

My situation (as player)

I never got hooked in adventure mode before (I've been coming and going from DF since 2012). I decided to try it now that I have an interesting history/motivation for my adventurers.

I started as a peasant dwarf from Spearbodice (of the Constructed Grizzle). I got myself some masterpiece bronze equipment from the armory, got a sworddwarf to follow me and we went on our way to recover Necroobey.

I visited one of the sites from the Tenacious Tin (which is at war with my civ), expecting that the elves would attack me, but they didn't. Why?

Anyway, I visited Syrupebeak (a fortress from my civ) to to ask the whereabouts of Neecrobey and see if anyone is interested in joining me when I heard a rumor that an elven army from the Tenacious Tin is on the march to attack Syrupebeak. I talked to a milita captain of the fortress and asked to join. He declined me because I am not good enough. Now I really want to delay my search, wait for the siege and join the fight. Has anyone seem a siege happen during adventure mode, is it possible?

Related question: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171372.0 in which is said that I could wait for years. What would be a way to wait until it happens, would it be possible to skip time using some hack or similar just so I can see that siege unfold in adventure mode?

Background/History

Its the year 255. I am a Carpenter Dwarf from the Dwarven kingdom of the Constructed Grizzle. We are at war with the elves from the Tenacious Tin since 88. Up to 126, we lost 17 battles and won none. Since then, our kingdom crumbling, there had been no battles with the elves.

In 250 we settled in a side adjacent to a Tenacious Tin retreat that was full of iron and flux stone. Steel began to flood our ranks from Syrupebeak while we prepared for war. The dwarves in Syrupebeak returned to their senses after a period of turmoil (I retired that fort with about population of about 90).

In 253 Spearbodice was founded, exporting legendary bronze armor to the mountain home. We wanted elven blood. By the end of 254 a vile force of darkness besieged us. Goblins came to test our mettle. We lost many good soldiers. This proves that we are not ready to march on the Tenacious Tin, but they did notice our intentions for war and besieged Syrupebeak 3 times already (after retiring). Many dwarves died, but the fortress stands.

Many adventurers stopped by the fortress' tavern asking about Necroobey, a lengendary pig tail cloak made in Syrupebeak. It seems that it is missing and no one knows where it might be. So, I decided to become an adventurer, recover Necroobey and master a martial skill (retired Spearbodice, again, with about 90 population).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:49:14 pm by pi_Age »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Hello there,

My situation (as player)

I never got hooked in adventure mode before (I've been coming and going from DF since 2012). I decided to try it now that I have an interesting history/motivation for my adventurers.

I started as a peasant dwarf from Spearbodice (of the Constructed Grizzle). I got myself some masterpiece bronze equipment from the armory, got a sworddwarf to follow me and we went on our way to recover Necroobey.

I visited one of the sites from the Tenacious Tin (which is at war with my civ), expecting that the elves would attack me, but they didn't. Why?

Anyway, I visited Syrupebeak (a fortress from my civ) to to ask the whereabouts of Neecrobey and see if anyone is interested in joining me when I heard a rumor that an elven army from the Tenacious Tin is on the march to attack Syrupebeak. I talked to a milita captain of the fortress and asked to join. He declined me because I am not good enough. Now I really want to delay my search, wait for the siege and join the fight. Has anyone seem a siege happen during adventure mode, is it possible?

Related question: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171372.0 in which is said that I could wait for years. What would be a way to wait until it happens, would it be possible to skip time using some hack or similar just so I can see that siege unfold in adventure mode?

Background/History

Its the year 255. I am a Carpenter Dwarf from the Dwarven kingdom of the Constructed Grizzle. We are at war with the elves from the Tenacious Tin since 88. Up to 126, we lost 17 battles and won none. Since then, our kingdom crumbling, there had been no battles with the elves.

In 250 we settled in a side adjacent to a Tenacious Tin retreat that was full of iron and flux stone. Steel began to flood our ranks from Syrupebeak while we prepared for war. The dwarves in Syrupebeak returned to their senses after a period of turmoil (I retired that fort with about population of about 90).

In 253 Spearbodice was founded, exporting legendary bronze armor to the mountain home. We wanted elven blood. By the end of 254 a vile force of darkness besieged us. Goblins came to test our mettle. We lost many good soldiers. This proves that we are not ready to march on the Tenacious Tin, but they did notice our intentions for war and besieged Syrupebeak 3 times already (after retiring). Many dwarves died, but the fortress stands.

Many adventurers stopped by the fortress' tavern asking about Necroobey, a lengendary pig tail cloak made in Syrupebeak. It seems that it is missing and no one knows where it might be. So, I decided to become an adventurer, recover Necroobey and master a martial skill (retired Spearbodice, again, with about 90 population).

You can intercept them, i am not sur eif you can pop in mid-invasion though. They are on teh world map anyway as one or several asterisks and you can find them. They do actually travel. You could also kill them all if you are so inclined.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile

You can pop in mid invasion. I have done that before, and I came to see almost a hundred armed goblins and elves. I am not sure if that happened as i was playing or if it was already underway in worldgen.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

You can pop in mid invasion. I have done that before, and I came to see almost a hundred armed goblins and elves. I am not sure if that happened as i was playing or if it was already underway in worldgen.
invasions happen as you play due to world activities, not just a worldgen thing so it seems you can pop in mid-invasion then.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure the game would connect you to the invasion in legends mode though

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

my previous experiences would suggest if you DO pop in its possible both sides will attack you, when I encounter an army on the march (of any race/civ) they seem to attack me no questions asked
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness