Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Mad Castle : Round 4  (Read 14374 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mad Castle : Round 4
« on: April 13, 2019, 10:41:34 pm »

This is a game about building a castle. For the purposes of murder.

The rules are very simple.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the map. It will expand in any direction as needed.  First 8 people to post their throne location and their first room get the spots in the first turn. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:03:45 pm by piecewise »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Castle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 10:53:33 pm »

((Can the throne room be placed mid-air like in, say, 15,50? And then build downwards from there to make a tower with the throne room at the top?))

I'll assume I can. Place my throne at 20,50, and build a pillar from 19,50 to 6,50 to connect the throne to the ground.

The pillar has a thin spiral staircase going around it from the outside, forcing people to be exposed to the elements if they try to reach the throne. The steps are just wide enough to leave room for a single person, who would have to keep their backs against the pillar to not fall.

Every grid, there will be 1 to 6 trapped steps with pressure plates, which, if pressed, would cause a stone arm with a boxing glove to emerge from the pillar and punch whoever activated it from behind. This, of course, would push the victim and cause the poor guy to fall to it's death.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:22:05 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 10:59:29 pm »

I'll start to dig, actually...

The king of the deep began below the surface, crafting a secluded place where he could survey the castle and maintain the trap systems of the construction.
Begin at (37, 0), and create a safe-room with scrying enchantments coating the walls. Size doesn't matter, only that the surveillance enchantments are sound.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:12:09 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:59:45 pm »

I think you need to make the map smaller so that we can actually look at a reasonable amount of it at once.

Let's put our throne at gridspace 20, 2 (in X, Y form), because elaborate underground bases are cool and also I can see the location without scrolling around.

The "room" I build goes from 19, 5 to 19, 0, and is, essentially, a giant pit. The bottom is filled with spikes, and snakes and insects slither and writhe between the stakes. The walls of the pit are lined with the occasional rod, and even a few actual platforms (the largest one at the doorway to the throne room); in order to navigate your way into or out of the caste ("castle", barely), you must be able to jump, swing, or otherwise propel yourself from one rod to the next until you reach the platform and exit you seek; a single false movement, and you will be sent tumbling into the spikes and scavengers.

Did I do this right?

EDIT: I did not do this right.
Nevermind, ignore me for the time being. Just pull me in as the first replacement guy.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:12:28 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 11:03:59 pm »

"Heh. We're all alone in our endeavors together. My throne shall hold the depths, you all... Do whatever."
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 11:11:03 pm »

((Can the throne room be placed mid-air like in, say, 15,50? And then build downwards from there to make a tower with the throne room at the top?))
You can, though  lets limit it to 25 up for now.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 02:15:47 am »

Are there meant to be grid numbers? I can't see them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:13:27 am »

I shall build my throne room at 12, 5 and it'll look like a basement with a big throne in it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 11:46:52 am »

Are there meant to be grid numbers? I can't see them.

Look on the black edges of the image. They're somewhat faint. If you're on a phone and the image is shrunk you may need to zoom in.

I'll assume I can. Place my throne at 20,50, and build a pillar from 19,50 to 6,50 to connect the throne to the ground.

The pillar has a thin spiral staircase going around it from the outside, forcing people to be exposed to the elements if they try to reach the throne. The steps are just wide enough to leave room for a single person, who would have to keep their backs against the pillar to not fall.

Every grid, there will be 1 to 6 trapped steps with pressure plates, which, if pressed, would cause a stone arm with a boxing glove to emerge from the pillar and punch whoever activated it from behind. This, of course, would push the victim and cause the poor guy to fall to it's death.

((Generally grid coordinantes are written in (X,Y) fashion where x is horizontal and y is vertical.  I'm assuming, by the numbers, that you've switched these around in this post))

[1]

Your throne, the throne of Randomness, ends up perched on the top of a single tall pillar of stone. Instead of a staircase of traps and punches you get a rope ladder and a sign that says "NO PEASANTS ALLOWED" taped to the bottom.

I'll start to dig, actually...

The king of the deep began below the surface, crafting a secluded place where he could survey the castle and maintain the trap systems of the construction.
Begin at (37, 0), and create a safe-room with scrying enchantments coating the walls. Size doesn't matter, only that the surveillance enchantments are sound.

[2]
The throne of Paranoia is placed within a partially buried bunker. A single crystal ball in the room shows a view of outside between bursts of static and foreign infomercials.

I shall build my throne room at 12, 5 and it'll look like a basement with a big throne in it.

[5]
The throne of Escapism ends up within a large basement chamber utterly filled with entertainment materials and items of all kinds. TVs, video games, movie projectors, arcade cabinets, cocaine dispenser, kegs of alcohol, kegs of pizza, extensive bookshelves stocked with books, dvds, and board games; all manner of things to help one pass the time.

I think you need to make the map smaller so that we can actually look at a reasonable amount of it at once.

Let's put our throne at gridspace 20, 2 (in X, Y form), because elaborate underground bases are cool and also I can see the location without scrolling around.

The "room" I build goes from 19, 5 to 19, 0, and is, essentially, a giant pit. The bottom is filled with spikes, and snakes and insects slither and writhe between the stakes. The walls of the pit are lined with the occasional rod, and even a few actual platforms (the largest one at the doorway to the throne room); in order to navigate your way into or out of the caste ("castle", barely), you must be able to jump, swing, or otherwise propel yourself from one rod to the next until you reach the platform and exit you seek; a single false movement, and you will be sent tumbling into the spikes and scavengers.

Did I do this right?

EDIT: I did not do this right.
Nevermind, ignore me for the time being. Just pull me in as the first replacement guy.
This actually looks fine to me (mostly). Using it.

[1]

Your throne, The throne of Perversion, ends up in what a pink neon sign declares the "SNEK PIT". It is little more than a cobble stone lined crater in the ground studded with free standing stripper poles around which large and seductive serpents dance in highly suggestive ways.

Four down, four to go before the first turn is done.

Here is the map link, I'm leaving it as a link instead of embedding because of the size. https://i.imgur.com/OsSd3dm.png

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 12:42:40 pm »

Action for dev:
"Build a courtyard, at 54, 6, and fill it with flowerbeds that emit sleeping gas.  It will also have small, sharp-toothed gerbils that will finish off any unwary intruders.  It'll be open to the sky, and decorated with stone statues of angels.  If it reaches the pillar to the left, build an empty archway through it."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 01:11:12 pm »

Another version of the image with a different background

Numbers may only be visible when zoomed in https://i.imgur.com/Y9QvF2t.png

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »

In!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 01:25:25 pm »

Build a throne at 70, 2.

The throne itself is a black mass of outsize limbs, mandibles and layers of chitinous armour, the endlessly decomposing corpse of some incomprehensible insect deity, slain and forced into a crude seat. The creature's unformed young have hatched half-made inside its body, and crawl ceaselessly through the cramped passages, scraping at the slowly rotting flesh.

The rest of the room is composed of rough earth, glowing fungi on the domed ceiling offering the only light. Countless insects of all descriptions crawl upon the walls, some the size of cats, while the husks of countless more are piled deep across the floor.
One wheel short of a wagon

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 02:09:15 pm »

Yeah, no, bury the “snek pit”, that’s all absolute shit.

Addendum: have all the people who constructed it executed for treason. That is not even slightly what I designed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:14:23 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 04:23:41 pm »

Build Life throneroom at 2,5
(I’m assuming I can include a secret room, if not then keep the surface room and ignore the secret part)
On the surface, a lush and exotic garden/zoo. Flowers, trees, fungi, and other less easily describable things are in abundance. As well as animals and other creatures in pretty gilded cages. Butterflys and bees and birds fly about. However, underneath the garden, accessible through secret doors, labs and test chambers are hidden, the animals from above are corrupted into new beautiful, terrible shapes.
The throne is made out of a tree shaped to look like a throne, and contains a secret passage to the labs underneath.
-edit- if the room expands enough to encroach on the basement room, just have the garden ramp up to a terraced garden on top of the other room.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:32:38 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7