Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ...about Wells  (Read 1855 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...about Wells
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 04:07:52 am »

... the guiding principle there. The baddie in question cannot be able to path to the top of your grate in order for it to work. If he has a path to the top of your grate, he will be able to destroy it from below. That's the actual function of using TWO grates in the inverted U-bend.

So even if they are below it, if they can path to the top of it somehow, then that fact allows them to destroy it from below?
Yes.

It's a logical relative to dorfs being able to build e.g. walls while standing on ramps or diagonally to the building site only if there's a reachable tile perpendicular to it where they could have stood.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 11:46:22 am »

I've always built them as a large (2-3 z levels, 5x5) cistern a few levels below the actual well, filled by gravity through a tunnel coming from the river sealed by floodgates. Aside from water apparently becoming stagnant after a while, is there a benefit to doing the pump thing?

The cistern is sealed up after digging and before filling, so it should be secure that way (anyone who gets in that way is in a drowning chamber, and would have to climb the well to escape).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 12:03:47 pm »

I've always built them as a large (2-3 z levels, 5x5) cistern a few levels below the actual well, filled by gravity through a tunnel coming from the river sealed by floodgates. Aside from water apparently becoming stagnant after a while, is there a benefit to doing the pump thing?

The cistern is sealed up after digging and before filling, so it should be secure that way (anyone who gets in that way is in a drowning chamber, and would have to climb the well to escape).

It is much easier to control the input to the water channel when a pump is involved. A floodgate may get blocked if you need to shut the thing down, and re-arrangement of the inlet is difficult. Using a drawbridge may avoid the blockage issue (unless a titan or large creature gets in there somehow), but it's still not as great as using a pump.

A pump can be switched off by removing the source of power. Either tell the dwarf pumping to stand down, or pull a lever. Pumps also allow you to build entirely above-ground cisterns and wells.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 01:24:53 pm »

It is much easier to control the input to the water channel when a pump is involved. A floodgate may get blocked if you need to shut the thing down, and re-arrangement of the inlet is difficult. Using a drawbridge may avoid the blockage issue (unless a titan or large creature gets in there somehow), but it's still not as great as using a pump.

Makes sense.

A pump can be switched off by removing the source of power. Either tell the dwarf pumping to stand down, or pull a lever. Pumps also allow you to build entirely above-ground cisterns and wells.

Here's where you lost me: Are you aware above ground is synonymous with "outdoors" or "where the sun lives"?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 01:29:54 pm »

I use drawbridges.

Managing power was never fun for me, but that's just me. I like building control rooms with levers now that you can label them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »

Here's where you lost me: Are you aware above ground is synonymous with "outdoors" or "where the sun lives"?
If you want to fill that above ground cistern so water can spew out of your 20z statue of a vomiting dwarf, it is either pumps or buckets.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 [2]