Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ...about Wells  (Read 1838 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
...about Wells
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:52:09 pm »

Sometimes you just have to see it accidentally flood your abundantly stocked hospital to fully appreciate it.

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...about Wells
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:00:53 pm »

These types of events breed players that install airlocks all over their fortress as if they're on a planet without atmosphere lol. We've all flooded our base with one type of liquid or another, welcome.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:33:52 am »

Nice that you had a door in place!

I remember my first aquifer pierce where I dug out my base in the solid rock, but then wanted to expand some rooms up near the top and found out that water flows down out of aquifer tiles.  There were no doors in place for me in those newly carved rooms, and a torrent of water poured down my stairwell.

Trying to drain my basement level into the caverns, I found out about the deadly effects of currents as my new waterfall sent several miners over the edge.  One survived with broken legs but drowned under the constant downpour before I could rescue her.

I was eventually able to contain the flood, but I ended up having to condemn half of my digs to submersion.

You're doing great!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 04:13:24 am »

You should've run the water through a diagonal space on the z-level below to depressurize it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 10:37:39 pm »

Having suffered the occasional zombie apocalypse, I try to have doors to every room just in case. 

You should've run the water through a diagonal space on the z-level below to depressurize it. :)

That's a great idea.  That way I could leave the cistern always open to the brook and not have to pull the lever just in time to stop another flood. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 03:29:10 am »

Having suffered the occasional zombie apocalypse, I try to have doors to every room just in case. 

You should've run the water through a diagonal space on the z-level below to depressurize it. :)

That's a great idea.  That way I could leave the cistern always open to the brook and not have to pull the lever just in time to stop another flood. 

While depressurizing water is very handy, leaving a passage into the fortress open is not, unless you intentionally wants to increase the danger by inviting "guests" (while the threat is limited to those that can handle being submerged in water, those that can tend to be the biggest threats).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 04:21:16 am »

Might a bronze colossus or the undead be such underwater guests?  I was just thinking fish and turtles would move in.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 07:37:42 am »

Titans won't drown. Undead don't either, but I suspect they won't path through water (using living critter pathing). Crocodiles and other semi aquatic critters shouldn't have any problems with going in that way either, so it would be a matter of pathing logic. Bronze colossii obviously don't have a need to breathe either. (non vermin) fish [such as the once dreaded carp] could definitely end up there, as could giant alligator snapping turtles.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:27:32 pm »

I fixed it: I had to wait until the brook froze to drain the cistern, but the diagonals do indeed stop the water level from rising past them.  Also, I added a bridge to stop giant crocodiles.  I did see some salmon in the stairways earlier. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 09:37:03 am »

You can use an inverted U-bend to block any building destroyers:
Code: (Side view) [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒7▒
▒#7#▒7▒
77▒777▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
# = Floor grate

You build the grates using an opening to the side, which is then sealed off before you let the water through. You can build the interior grate (pictured on left) below your well, instead. You could probably get away with just making sure there's no ramp or stairs on the interior side. The important part is to make sure there's no valid path to the top of the exterior grate, because that leaves it vulnerable from below whenever your fortress's front gate is open.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Grimbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 04:26:31 pm »

Lol. Where were you yesterday!?

I'm new too and last night I decided to build my first real water system including a proper well and a trap that dumped a river's-worth of water on invaders to flush them into the caverns.

Cut to an hour later, and since I didn't make sure that the cavern I was shunting water into was itself venting, my well backed up and overflowed into my Temple District. Jewelry Row was wiped out. Since it was an emergency, I pulled up the drawbridge and released the trap. This lowered the water to a reasonable level, but not before nine dwarves were either drowned by the initial flood or were sucked into the well.

Now my temples are covered in fungus and my main entrance is a high-pressure waterfall. Worst of all, a mom and her baby were on the bridge when I flushed it. I figured they would be dead after dropping five levels into a cavern full of warring troglodytes and batmen, but they're still down there living off of vermin. Rescue operations are in effect.

Next time, I've got some more ideas to apply to my water system. Like "put your well on a lower level than anything you want to keep dry" and "make sure the water's got somewhere to go".
Learning is fun!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 04:44:04 am »

.Next time, I've got some more ideas to apply to my water system. Like "put your well on a lower level than anything you want to keep dry" and "make sure the water's got somewhere to go".
Learning is fun!

Learning this way definitely makes for some great stories

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 04:34:56 pm »

Based on my own experience, using a wall grate depressurises the water. Alternative, you can use diagonals.

You could install a system to deliberately flood a section of the fortress through a well, and you can definitely build drainage and control systems to cope.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 05:41:07 pm »

DID I MISS *pose*

A THREAD *spin*

ABOUT *twirl*

WATERWAYS?!?!?!!? *FINAL POSE*

To my eternal sadness, my many MSpaint diagrams showing how I like to build various water projects were lost. Anyway the point is that water that is forced to only flow diagonally will lose pressure, and therefore will not flow upwards out of a well. It's the simplest way to do it.

Oh hey I found some old diagrams relating to the well aspect.

Spoiler: ON WELL SAFETY (click to show/hide)

ONE MORE SPECIFIC THING.

You will need not only to use an inverted U-bend to prevent baddie access via your new waterway, but also understand the guiding principle there. The baddie in question cannot be able to path to the top of your grate in order for it to work. If he has a path to the top of your grate, he will be able to destroy it from below. That's the actual function of using TWO grates in the inverted U-bend.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:42:55 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 09:02:38 pm »

... the guiding principle there. The baddie in question cannot be able to path to the top of your grate in order for it to work. If he has a path to the top of your grate, he will be able to destroy it from below. That's the actual function of using TWO grates in the inverted U-bend.

So even if they are below it, if they can path to the top of it somehow, then that fact allows them to destroy it from below?
Pages: [1] 2