Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: @ or ☺?  (Read 1457 times)

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
  • novice Earth-stricker, dabbling modder
    • View Profile
@ or ☺?
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:15:03 am »

I cannot understand the rules that govern the character used by dwarves...

In adventurer mode, the party members are shown with @ and every other creatures (including dwarves) with the charater from their raws.
In fortress mode, it seems to be the contrary, your dwarves are ☺while all other dwarves are @. Members of other species seem to be shawn with the character from their raws regardless from citizenship.

Do someone have an explanation to this ?
Are the dwarves treated differently in fortress mode because of something in their raws ? because they are part of the player's civ main specy ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:23:00 pm by gadestryll »
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: @ or ☺?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:43 pm »

In fortress mode, my dwarves are ☺.

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
  • novice Earth-stricker, dabbling modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 01:24:23 pm »

oh, sorry, i got confused while writing, my dwarves are ☺too of course ^ ^
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 02:00:52 pm »

I think the logic is that you, the Adventurer, are given the distinctive @ as "that's where you're at" (or some other, better, way of phrasing it). And you know what you are (dwarf, human, animal man, etc). Companions are something I've not perfected the recruitment of (always used to be more trouble than benefit, those you could even recruit, and I'm not quick to change on that front), but if they become @s too then that's to show party-membership I presume, to override examples of their cousins' appearance that they'd otherwise take.

When running the Fortress, you don't have 'a' dwarf (and the idea is to see them as independent pawns, not directly possessed extensions to your will), so faces (or bearded faces, depending upon the exact tileset rendered) are chosen.

Depictions of 'others' then rotate around that. Not the 'you or yours' character, but the global raw-native one or (when it clashes) gives trader-dwarves the '@'dventurer symbol to distinguish them from your faces.

(I'll have to fire up a fort to check this... I'm just so used to seeing and understanding whatever I see that I'm not entirely sure what I do see... It just makes sense when I do.)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 11:28:21 am »

Isn't @ fairly standard for roguelikes anyway?
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 11:29:13 am »

Yes, I think every roguelike uses @ to represent the player character.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 02:11:10 pm »

A @ looks kind of like a bearded face turned 90 degrees
Love, scriver~