Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Zorbus (D&D inspired roguelike)  (Read 36721 times)

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zorbus (D&D inspired roguelike)
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2020, 11:19:46 pm »

Release 39   (24-Jul-2020)
  • By pressing A you automatically approach and attack nearest seen hostile creature with a melee- or a reach-weapon. You can use autoattack just for approaching so you can use it to chase down a creature or to narrow the range to it for a ranged attack, spell, etc. If no openly hostile creature is seen, a target creature is selected from those who get gradually more hostile against you. Autoattack ignores creatures in areas blocked from autopilot. Autoattack is disabled if your current Health is under 30% of max Health (the percentage can be changed from the settings).
  • The default keybinding for autopilot changed to P. Blocking autopilot areas changed to O, clear all blocks to CTRL+O. If you use the game updater, it's best to reset keybindings because of these changes.
  • If the game crashes, it tries to save the game. A crash report is created into the Crash-folder.
  • Settings: Option to disable log top add (new messages added on top of the log instead of the bottom, on by default).
  • The game is saved if you select "Return to main menu" from the game menu and the setting "Save on exit" is on (on by default).

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2020, 05:50:04 pm »

Release 40
  • New setting: Never flee. If on, creatures other than companions never flee. Some creatures, usually those using ranged attacks or spells, still try to maintain distance. Character obituary will not be sent to the leaderboard if this setting is on or turned on during a game. Off by default.
  • New setting: Death splash animation. Procedurally generated death splash animation instead of the "skull on red square" animation on creature death. Off by default. Thanks to Lagi for the idea.
  • New setting: Brighter darkvision. If on, the tiles seen with darkvision are a bit brighter, but only if your lightsource is unlit. Off by default.
  • Fixed a bug where you could auto reach attack a creature behind another creature. Other autoattack tweaks as well.
  • Buffs are listed when you inspect creatures with the target cursor. Previously only harmful effects were listed.
  • Small tweaks here and there.
http://www.zorbus.net

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2020, 11:11:57 am »

A new gameplay video showcasing some of the special areas, ambient sound and sound effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37BrD6Wz_0

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2020, 06:34:27 pm »

That's really amazing !

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 04:24:37 am »

I don't know how I didn't know about this before. I am dabbling in roguelike development because I love the concept, and it looks like this one has one of the best interface and immersion features. The floating text and clear indication of ranged enemies alone are such great features. I also didn't expect enemies to be animated (floating torso but still), amazing job. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the tileset, but it grew on me as I was watching the demonstration video.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2020, 06:36:42 pm »

Release 41   (09-Oct-2020)
  • (Regular, not Greater) Amulet of Health was bugged, it didn't protect against disease. (thanks to Zero for reporting this)
  • Fixed a bug where the game unnecessarily created crash saves into the Crash-folder. You can delete your existing Crash-folder.
  • Duration listed in descriptions of items with duration effects.
  • New item: the Orb of Withering. This orb creates a necrotic field that prevents all creatures on the dungeon level from regenerating Health or Stamina (naturally, by talents, or by items) for the duration of the effect. Also affects vampiric attacks.
  • Added archetype characters (warrior and wizard) to character creation. These are pregenerated, quickstart character types.
  • Some new sound effects.
  • Small fixes and tweaks here and there. Some typos fixed.
http://www.zorbus.net

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2020, 12:48:40 pm »

Great , i will have more characters dying in level 1 :D

Got a fun run so far with an elf.

While running away (good my elf seems to be fast to move) from a slow animal that turned hostile before i tried to go close and tame it, i met quickly Abhak that is one of the "hippofolk". Coming with a ranged and melee weapon he happily accepted to follow me in that attempt to survive the 1st level and  i was no less happy to finally have a chance to survive more.

Then in a room with a pentacle and a strange lever, i went the cautious way and pulled the lever :D , to my surprise instead of doing something that would have killed my character in a way or another, 2 summoned zombies joined my party.
Wow, after so many quick deaths, would this character be the one to break my losing streak ?

Then moving into an open room, a flash of light and 4 or 5 bandits appeared all over. "You've just been ambushed millord !" on of them told me.
Poor guys, they had no idea that this time my character was not a lonely easy target.

My trusted hippofolk killing machine told me , as optimistic as ever, "We're not gonna die here, Robpuk" (my character name there)
I was wearing my recently lighting-enchanted flail and charged to melee (got some nice piece of armour found from a few treasures rooms too so my elf was much less frail than usual) .

The 2 zombies rushed as slowly as they could, but it's the intent that count , right ?

During the fight, one of the young bandit screamed "Please, don't kill me mister !" but i'm not sure Abhak even know what that meant as he struck him down with his morningstar without even caring.

It's great to not be on the pointy sticks wrong end for once after a battle :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lots of fun with Zorbus.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2020, 12:53:27 pm »

question :
I accidentally clicked on "Continue" before spending my all skills points. So i'm running around with unspent points that i want to spend.
Can't find any ways to go back to the point allocation menu.
How can i proceed ?

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2020, 01:20:56 pm »

I accidentally clicked on "Continue" before spending my all skills points. So i'm running around with unspent points that i want to spend.
Can't find any ways to go back to the point allocation menu.
How can i proceed ?
You can do that only in next level up, but the points are stored. I some cases you may actually want to save skill / talent points for later level up (some talents are only available after certain experience level).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2020, 01:31:23 pm »

Ah thanks, good that at least the points aren't lost.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2020, 09:58:07 am »

I get occasional error messages when it can't initialize the sound, so the game doesn't work right.

Other than that, played 23 minutes, 9 deaths. A few have been bad starts (I killed 4 enemies, tried to escape, was killed by 4 more in the starting room. Or came down the stairs right next to the boss room). I like that all 4 stats are important to any character.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2020, 10:37:25 am »

Some things i learned :

- it's a very good idea to remove your lantern as you don't want to paint such a giant target on yourself when moving in dungeon (plenty of enemies have companions and if all of them see you, you're in huge trouble), even if you don't have infravision (important to note that some enemies have it) you can always light up some lantern, torch or lots of various fire place in the rooms if you really need, stealth is a must do to increase your chance of surviving long enough.

- some enemies are way too strong for you to even try to fight them (by example you may run as early as floor 4 into 2 uniques "sinister young women" that are always together, don't even think of fighting them : they're incredibly resilient and will destroy your health and your allies healt in no time, they have amazing equipment on themselves and from my tests they even have a few healing potions to get back to full health , making your effort completely wasted) before getting several more levels and -really- good equipment, don't try to fight those overpowered enemies unless you have a -lot- of allies and summons.

- allies, don't play a loner, you always want allies, always ! more firepower is an absolute must in Zorbus considering how resilient (potions and various health restoration i saw enemies having) enemies can be. And in case you're in impossible situation they can be the meat shield you need in order to escape to safety.

- same as nearly all the roguelikes : never ever forget to run away far to heal, some things can halve your health in seconds (poison by example) regardless of your protections (perfect way to lose a character), use dark places to cut the view between your enemies and you, then move to other room far enough so the enemy give up pursuit, hide and rest/heal , don't try to still fight when you have less health than your enemy, your character is nearly always going to die. Rest at every opportunity if you're not in full health, you can never be sure you're not going to run into something that can 2 shot kill you soon.

- unless you enabled "Never Flee" in the options, enemies (and ally) of any kind will want to run away when they're severely hurt, you will need a ranged weapon in addition to your melee ones. It's a must, you can use ranged weapon to attract attention too , it's super important in some location in which there's only 1 entrance (all the rooms that feature a wizard and his golems seems to be a 1 door only, making them death trap as the wizard will always poison cloud/fire wall you to half-death in just a couple of second if you try to go only melee in plain light)

- don't try to open a chest or touch anything if you don't have full heath, rest before doing so, traps , mimics, animated furnitures can be deadly if you're already hurt.

- every time you see a good armor or a good weapon, take them even if you have much better on yourself, the reason is that each floor has a teleporter (the red ones) to the trading plane that contain some permanent chest, put the excess of item there (shops never buy anything that isn't a potion or at least a +3 item) so next time you get an ally (that is not an animal), you can move back to the trading plane and give them better equipment than they have.
Overall you want your ally to be strong to not die fast, precious meat shield.
But carrying too much weight put a burden on your skill, so leave things up to when you have cleared enough safe path between items and the teleporter so you don't run into an enemy with too much weight on you.

- a life saving tactic : with a ranged weapon shoot, move back until there's 1 or more square of distance , shoot, move back again until at least 1 square of distance and shoot. Best done in the dark so it works even better with creature without infra vision (though i guess it's harder to do if you can't see in the dark yourself) It takes a lot of arrows with those pea shooters that ranged weapon can be but with many of the "it will kill you 80% of the time in melee" monsters, it can seriously help.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:19:27 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2020, 11:10:56 am »

Yeah, I got better about removing my lantern after 2-3 plays.

I've only been poisoned twice, and it killed me once. Because drinking the antidote took too much time, and the poison ticked first.

Good advice on the furniture. My best character got taken out by a mutant on the second level.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2020, 11:31:06 am »

Yes, being in full health is of extreme importance in Zorbus.
And because in that game there's (thanks the dev for that) none of those annoying timed or food clock forcing you to do anything, you always want to be full health to avoid a lethal surprise (ambush can happen, and depending what is ambushing you it can be close to a game over).

Additionally, each floor up the difficulty, so in Zorbus there's no fight that will make you think "oh it's just another variant of rat ... boring i'll just kill it" like in some other roguelike.

Probably why it's so easy to lose characters in floor 1 as you're so underequiped, outnumbered and outpowered by nearly everything when you start :)

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2020, 11:44:02 am »

I get occasional error messages when it can't initialize the sound, so the game doesn't work right.

Other than that, played 23 minutes, 9 deaths. A few have been bad starts (I killed 4 enemies, tried to escape, was killed by 4 more in the starting room. Or came down the stairs right next to the boss room). I like that all 4 stats are important to any character.

I compiled a new executable (replace the old one with this) that displays an error code when audio init fails:
http://www.zorbus.net/tmp/zorbus_42b.zip

Also, you could try to reinitialize audio from the settings by unchecking / checking the "Sound effects" option. Tip: When in the settings menu you can filter settings items by writing a keyword so if you write "audio" then "Sound effects" is the first setting.

The dungeon generator tries to place the first starting room and rooms after descending to a new level to safe areas, but that's not always possible.

The game is still considered to be too easy by many players... I don't know if these players have tried the latest versions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12