Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Zorbus (D&D inspired roguelike)  (Read 36707 times)

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zorbus (D&D inspired roguelike)
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2020, 07:32:10 am »

The Crash-folder is under the game folder, created when first crash-save is made.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2020, 06:56:28 pm »

Ah, unfortunate then. Game didn't outright crash, and there's no crash folder :-\

Guess I'll just keep an eye out, see if it happens again. Bout the only setup I can give for reproduction is the character was an aesimir, stats split even between spirit and mind, starting talent team spirit or whatever that XP boost one is. Skills I think were magic primary with search secondary if there were any points left over. Probably the... fifth or sixth sequential restart? Maybe more, there were a lot of dead celestials involved in reaching the point of quadraphant :P

E: Fiddling with the reroll on character creation has made me intensely miss the autoroll function some roguelikes implemented, just an fyi. It was bad enough when I just thought it capped out at 46, but then seeing a fifty pop up? It hurts, somewhere deep in the min-max-y part of my heart. Autoroll would make the pain go away :'(cause

e2: immediate edit, but incidentally I think Incursion might actually have the best mixed reroll/point buy character creation system I think I've ever seen in a roguelike. Just throwing that one out there :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:20:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2020, 11:28:52 pm »

Release 42   (17-Oct-2020)
  • Fixed a bug where you would not get experience points from a creature (that you have damaged) dying outside of your view. A log entry is now also made in the style of "x dies elsewhere. (n XP)". (thanks to Robsoie for finding the bug)
  • Autoattack now functions on blocked areas if you and the target are already on that blocked area.
  • Two charm effect related bugs fixed.
  • Added mass loot function to level loot. When you press CTRL + ENTER on an item, all items of that same type are picked up. Autopilot automatically pilots you through the items and picks them up. Mass loot can be used with ammunition, devices other than books (potions etc.), keys, and trapkits. Most of these items are normally autopicked, but autopick isn't used when hostile creatures are seen. It's best used after the level is cleared of hostile creatures, and you want to collect the remaining coins, potions, etc. Remember that you can use "0" on level loot to filter coins, special or unique items and devices (potions, wands etc.).
  • Level loot now shows the distance to the item directly in the list.
  • New setting: Always bright Health bars. Normally Health bars under creatures are dimmed depending on the light amount of the tile. If this setting is checked, health bars are always drawn at full brightness. (off by default) (thanks to BenightedAlizar for the idea)
  • Added Archer and Leader quickstart archetypes to character creation.
  • You can now change the gender of archetype / random / past characters by pressing G in the first character creation screen.
  • Small fixes and tweaks.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2020, 02:54:41 am »

Ugh. It prompted me to update so I did. Guess I should have read the changelog better because SUPRISE!, updating just flat out deletes your save files.

It should *really* say that in the screen where it prompts you to update instead of just in the patch notes.

Whelp, there goes my level 14 gnome wizard, think that's all the Zorbus for me for a while.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2020, 03:39:35 am »

Been trying the leader archetype and got some good luck as i found early the portal to the trading plane, there was an elf wizard there that i recruited immediately, she did a fantastic job in keeping me alive against all odds (we retreated back toa lot to heal and have her mana refill).

Recruited a druid (summons rules) and a lizardman in further visit to the trading plane to store all the extra loot.
We cleared the 1st level and got to level 2 thanks to the archetype shared XP skill that does not lower XP when using allies.
So far this character seems to be a potential long term survivor.

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2020, 07:15:57 am »

Ugh. It prompted me to update so I did. Guess I should have read the changelog better because SUPRISE!, updating just flat out deletes your save files.

It should *really* say that in the screen where it prompts you to update instead of just in the patch notes.

Whelp, there goes my level 14 gnome wizard, think that's all the Zorbus for me for a while.

You didn't get this red text then?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2020, 07:22:22 am »

Uh. I look at that and think, make that warning bigger, heh. And brighter. Maybe have a second confirmation prompt restating it, etc. Warnings generally shouldn't be in smaller font than the confirmation options. You also generally want them above, rather than below, the prompt options.

E: More like this, if the link works:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:33:23 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2020, 08:03:02 am »

Yes, maybe the warning in bigger font could do the trick as it's easy to not pay attention to small text.

If there's something i really love in Zorbus it's that it features a party system , it works wonderfully and is really adding to the fun.
How often in some roguelike i was thinking how it could be good to have a party instead of just a solo adventurer.

My Aasimar leader archetype seems to really have luck, got some nice party members (3 magic users amongst them, if i can keep them alive they should become killing machines) and recently got 3 skeletons warrior joining the fun from an undead summoning room.

So much fun :)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2020, 12:08:37 pm »

You didn't get this red text then?
I did not. This is what I got.
If I had gotten that warning though it would have been sufficient, although it should still either A) Check if there is a save file and give you a second warning or B) Just move your save files to another subfolder (old saves) instead of deleting them
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2020, 03:18:31 pm »

Yes, maybe the warning in bigger font could do the trick as it's easy to not pay attention to small text.

If there's something i really love in Zorbus it's that it features a party system , it works wonderfully and is really adding to the fun.
How often in some roguelike i was thinking how it could be good to have a party instead of just a solo adventurer.

My Aasimar leader archetype seems to really have luck, got some nice party members (3 magic users amongst them, if i can keep them alive they should become killing machines) and recently got 3 skeletons warrior joining the fun from an undead summoning room.

Undead and golems are immune to poison clouds, so you can use one to block the enemy fighters from getting to you even though your team can get to them. It's good to learn the enemy's tricks from them (stupid golem+mage combinations).

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2020, 09:54:35 pm »

Undead and golems are immune to poison clouds, so you can use one to block the enemy fighters from getting to you even though your team can get to them. It's good to learn the enemy's tricks from them (stupid golem+mage combinations).
Poison clouds are super useful early-midgame.
Mostly they are powerful for mage killing since early on its enough to deal 50% damage on its own. In addition it makes them move out of it (which stops them from trying to cast any spells at all at you and gives your tanks time to get in front of you) AND it has a significant chance of killing them when they blink out so you don't have to go hunt them down and fight them again.
Its also amusing to use a bunch to fill a room entirely with poison, slowly backing your enemies into the far corner then filling that once they get there, forcing them to do a mad dash towards you, which as they have been poisoned for like 10 solid rounds doesn't work out very well.

Later on of course the damage component is super lacking, but even then the fact that it allows you to manipulate positioning can still be significant.

I also discovered a bug.
https://imgur.com/a/0cVvdaz
It looks like when a multi-tile creature is only partially illuminated the non-illuminated part steals some of the part you can see, and a portion of the monster flickers back and forth between tiles. When you can see all of their tiles there isn't an issue.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2020, 04:00:39 am »

Poison clouds are super useful early-midgame.
Mostly they are powerful for mage killing since early on its enough to deal 50% damage on its own. In addition it makes them move out of it (which stops them from trying to cast any spells at all at you and gives your tanks time to get in front of you) AND it has a significant chance of killing them when they blink out so you don't have to go hunt them down and fight them again.
Its also amusing to use a bunch to fill a room entirely with poison, slowly backing your enemies into the far corner then filling that once they get there, forcing them to do a mad dash towards you, which as they have been poisoned for like 10 solid rounds doesn't work out very well.

Later on of course the damage component is super lacking, but even then the fact that it allows you to manipulate positioning can still be significant.
Poison clouds are also murder against you if you're playing with a loner type of character (low spirit so you can't afford to recruit more than 1 ally), as everytimg you meet an enemy mage, it's basically guaranteed that your character will lose half of his health in no time (due to poison) as you always walk ahead of your ally + the enemy mages aren't shy to bombard your guy after with various ray if you didn't run the hell away after that :D

But when like in my current aasimar leader character you have multiple mages in your party, it's very different and oh so fun to turn the tables on enemy groups like that :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2020, 10:27:44 am »

Having more party members in Zorbus can really make a huge world of difference.

I think that's probably why i found Zorbus insanely hard previously, because i was playing with low spirit characters, that could then recruit only 1 party member at max (as unmodded spirit is what set the max amount of recruits in your party) , and most of the time with said party member dying i often had to play a solo character until i ran into a new potential recruit.

And solo characters are very often running into unwinnable situations as it's rare to not run into multiple ranged enemies (and worst running into magic users as their offensive spells hit much harder than bow/slings and can summon more uglies while crippling your character in webs/slime/poison) or enemies much stronger than your character in melee (that you can workaround somehow by using those small damaging ranged attacks from bows/slings and dark area to run into range again).

Having more party members even the odds and turn impossible situation into winnable ones without forcing you to run away so much to ambush enemies in smaller groups, it's also more fun as you can actually run into large scales fights with lots of magics, arrows, bullets and weapon slashing between your troops and theirs.

My aasimar leader archetype is still very much alive, sadly lost a lot of previous party members (one of the magic user that i customised with equipment was a killing machine, sadly lost it in a very difficult battle as blinking away didn't saved her as she landed into more monsters)  that i had to replace with new encounters.

At some point i equipped most of the +search items i could and found the secret door in the trading plane (i had also killed every non-recruitable npc there so i could visit everything and get everything from the shops for free) There was a couple difficult enemies in the new area but the worst was a Nightwalker , i had met one previously in the dungeon but maybe this one was powered up at that point but it was extremely resilient and was hitting very hard (good i had that nice health surge ability) .
It was surprising because it took a lot more difficulty to take that thing out than the named enemies that were in that area.

Post battle was rather disapointing as i found nothing better in the loots and coffers than i and all my party members had before (probably bad luck). Oh at least there was the lot XP that was worth it i guess.

My current team managed to take out my first ancient dragon.
A bit before my team reached level 20 (the XP sharing special skill is really good so i could advance relatively quickly in levels despite my army), and after checking all the items that ancient dragon was guarding, it was all crap with at most +1 only modifiers, looks like the good luck in surviving is eating all my luck in finding actual better items :D

Still tons of fun to play "army general" with an aasimar leader archetype, much more fun than every character i tried previously.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2020, 01:27:28 pm »

I may have used the forbidden spell described in the book strangely named "Book" (is it normal or a bug as all the other books have their own names ?) a few times as i was having too much fun with my character ...
 ... but a win is a win :D

big spoiler then :

Will have to get a legit victory one day now i +/- know what to expect from each type of monsters in the game.
Definitively one of my favorite roguelike.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 01:29:12 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2020, 02:51:29 pm »

I found a magic lamp in the store. It only sells for 210, so I'm guessing it's not so good as I hope. Also, it says it summons a Djinni I can trade with.

Edit: Anyone got advice for a melee character? Builds? Good weapons?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:25:28 pm by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12