Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Zorbus (D&D inspired roguelike)  (Read 36157 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Zorbus (D&D inspired roguelike)
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2020, 06:15:14 am »

I wouldn't be sure "too easy" is something i would say about Zorbus, at least that latest version i'm playing.
I don't remember playing any other roguelike in which clearing the very 1st floor is already challenge :D

In a sense it's actually good that even the 1st floor is a challenge, it makes replaying actually fun in comparison to a lot of other roguelikes in which a character can clear the 3 or 4 first level of a dungeon without really trying, leading to annoying type of gameplay "i wish i would start in floor 5 with the XP from floor 1-4 already given because up to then it's so uneventfull boring".

Something that can't be said from Zorbus in which the challenge is already there and interesting to overcome.

edit
anyways , after beating down a kuo tua big group (took time to get them all with running away to heal and ranged attack very often) found some nice weapon when looting their dead leader , though unfortunately 2 handed forcing me to give up my +3 tower shield
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and it's a talking weapon, it does not seem to like me much

Additional things i learned

Once you have cleared a level, you can turn on your lantern again (press F1 to turn it on/off ) then press E to autoexplore what's not yet explored.
The interest is that if you have visited already the whole level, E will bring you to hidden doors (why you need to have the lantern turned on, i found that even my infravision elf can't find them if not using a lantern) depending on your Search skill of course.
take in mind that hidden room may have monsters stronger than the one that were found in that floor.

Explore this way completely a level and all the hidden room you can find, reason is that your will gain lot of XP for a fully explored floor (more with the depth of each floors) , and as usual you want all the XP you can to gain level for you and your allies.
(note XP is shared with allies unless you have a special skill for everyone to get 100% of the XP)

You can remove safely an ally in the trading plane, he will be there when you come back.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:22:37 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2020, 07:53:48 am »

I finally managed to kill the kobold chieftan. It didn't hurt that one of the sorcerers, a jermalaine, and a gnoll wandered out into the hall one at a time to die before the big fight. I also took out 3 kobolds on the way in.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2020, 12:19:17 pm »

Noticed what is very likely a bug a few times : when i poison an enemy and he start to flee, if at the instant the enemy died (from the poison) he is NOT in my view, i get no XP from the kill.

Even if he dies only a few tiles away (by example a stealthy drow in the dark died at only 3 tiles from me but at the very instant he died he was hidden or a monster that clsoed a door and went so out of my sight just before dying) there's no XP delivered (at least there's no mention of any XP in the logs).

Very annoying when it happens with an enemy that is strong (and so worth lots of XP).

edit
On floor 9 while sneaking in the dark i ran into an interesting pile of loot on the floor.
ok, i guess i'll come back when i will have 10 more levels :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:28:59 pm by Robsoie »

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2020, 11:43:44 pm »

Noticed what is very likely a bug a few times : when i poison an enemy and he start to flee, if at the instant the enemy died (from the poison) he is NOT in my view, i get no XP from the kill.

You were right, that's a bug. I'll fix it in next update. Thanks!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2020, 06:57:43 am »

I wouldn't be sure "too easy" is something i would say about Zorbus, at least that latest version i'm playing.
I don't remember playing any other roguelike in which clearing the very 1st floor is already challenge :D
I mean... appropos to the topic thread, one roguelike I've played that could and did cheerfully murder you on the first floor (especially if you didn't go with one of the stronger starting classes/builds, ala summon heavy caster), was Incursion, an older D&D inspired RL :P

It got a lot easier as you figured out some things (nighthunters are busted strong mounts, tossing summons into rooms you haven't entered yet saves lots of lives, wands can be ridiculous, etc.), but even for me, someone who had won the existent game with every race, class, and god, still had to pay pretty close attention to floor one with certain race/class combos, heh.

They say ToME 4 has that level of difficulty on insane/madness, too, for what it's worth. Just not the sort of challenge I'm even remotely interested in, personally, heh.

e: Though yeah, fired up zorbus again to look at it, first run rapidly died a dog's death as apparently more or less the entire first floor promptly aggro'd to me, heh. Second run, however, immediately -- as in literally the first mobile thing I encountered -- met and recruited a giff. Me and spelljammer buddy promptly steamrolled the entire first floor, drove my enemies before me, and heard no lamentations because everything hostile was dead.

Also I got three skelefriends part way through, which was nice? Remarkably wild swing in results, in any case, heh.

e: Though floor two, well, floor two I got real lazy and died.

Now, run three. Run three has started with the classic double phant gambit, plus an elf archer, so I got 80 hp of meat shield flesh crushers and a ranged death machine that apparently has all the search, so. Progression so far had been *squish* -> spelljammer interrupt -> dumbo demolition derby. It's been pretty silly :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:05:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2020, 12:08:25 pm »

Yeah, in Zorbus finding early good items and an ally makes a gigantic different in clearing a few floors or dying on the 1st one .

It's very interesting that the allies level up with you and can then gain new abilities and skills, as it gives an incentive in trying to keep them alive by sharing potions, good loots etc...

Even better if you have a high spirit base skill (as it's what dictate how much allies you can recruit at a same time), but surviving until you find an ally is harder if you have spent most point on spirit instead of body and motion.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2020, 12:18:28 pm »

Yeah, this critter has been a centaur with even split between spirit and mind -- my sorta' screwup was taking summon animal over natural leader (i.e. I'm out half my XP gain for the rest of ever, which definitely sucks pretty hard), but the flip side to that is I started with summon animal, so, y'know. Even if I hadn't found the loltastic elephant death duo and their friendly neighborhood long eared porcupine maker, I would have been fine.

Plus now that I'm on floor two, the initial room involved like fifteen varied kobolds and wandering eventually!hostile animals and it basically hasn't mattered because I'm one elf archer, two elephants, and a never-ending supply of apparently dogs at the moment and there's fiften-ish new corpses in the first room of floor two and centaurcritter is presumably just laughing and laughing and laughing :V

e: wait, was the kobold tribe leader supposed to be some kind of boss? Its loot suggests it but the poor thing kinda' got chumped. Surrounded by elephants and ds, filled full of infinite elf arrows. I just sort of sat and watched it die.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:22:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2020, 12:29:19 pm »

Toying with an aasimar (for the native "natural leader" skill) in which i invested a bunch in spirit and took "animal friend". Basically a character set to command more than fight.

And indeed he's such a squishy weakling that i nearly died only after moving into a few rooms when 2 orcs targetted me, i ran directly to the stairs and after losing them (it's nice that close enemies can also follow) in the dark in the 2nd floor i ran into a panther that had killed an enemy, and i tamed immediately.

Going back to the 2 orcs that weren't too far, the panther murdered them in no time, tamed a dog that was there too (you can't ally or tame anything if an hostile is still in view by the way) .

Moved back to floor 1 (as my weak character is probably going to die from anyone sneezing in floor 2) i recruited a bit more

It's so fun to turn the tides on the enemy troops "oh you outnumbered me before, now let's see how you react when my army of murder machines rush at you" :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:01:19 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2020, 01:22:49 pm »

Is there a way to transfer part of a pile of something? I'd like to give away some of my healing potions, but not all of them.

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2020, 01:25:12 pm »

Is there a way to transfer part of a pile of something? I'd like to give away some of my healing potions, but not all of them.

Sure. Movement keys left / right to adjust the amount of the current item. CTRL pressed to adjust the amount by 10, ALT pressed to adjust the amount by 50.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2020, 01:51:27 pm »

Thank you for the quick reply.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2020, 07:03:29 pm »

I'm definitely getting the feel a heavy spirit animal friend start basically boils down to "die and restart until the first thing you encounter is an elephant, then easily murder the first level and see how things go from there." Probably you die to the first rat you meet, but maybe you meet the phant and the phant promptly eats the face of everything else on the level. The feast or famine is pretty intense. Everything kills you and you probably can't even run away, so if you find anything hostile, you either die or lose a blink potion (and probably still die). But if you find something friendly you're off to the races.

... incidentally, ran into a bug I didn't think to screenshot 'cause the game was throwing unending runtime errors at me, but my most amazing start to date ran into 4(!) elephants on the first floor, more or less sequentially and without encountering a single hostile in the process. Unfortunately, on trying to tame elephant #4, the game freaked out and exploded in runtime errors. Can't find an error log or anything around, so... all I got is the hearsay, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2020, 09:26:50 pm »

... incidentally, ran into a bug I didn't think to screenshot 'cause the game was throwing unending runtime errors at me, but my most amazing start to date ran into 4(!) elephants on the first floor, more or less sequentially and without encountering a single hostile in the process. Unfortunately, on trying to tame elephant #4, the game freaked out and exploded in runtime errors. Can't find an error log or anything around, so... all I got is the hearsay, heh.

All of my errors were related to sound. If you start it up again, do they (periodically) show up again?

zorbus_overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2020, 01:16:50 am »

This sounds bad. Can you tell me anything more about it? What OS, did you use keyboard and/or mouse, did you see if the tame attempt was successful or not? There might a crash-save in the Crash-folder. I checked the code and tried to reproduce something like that but no luck so far.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2020, 07:02:51 am »

Win 10, mouse/keyboard active, don't recall if the tame attempt succeeded but I think it did? The errors were doing the stacking thing where they collate diagonally and kept going until I closed them out fast enoug to hit escape, which... iirc brought me back to the main menu (but could have been the game over screen -- hard to remember exactly at this point, heh.). Sound was turned off in the game settings. I'll check for a crash folder this afternoon... don't really have time to kick the laptop on this morning. Where's it supposed to be, anyway?
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12