Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do Volcanoes erupt now?  (Read 7695 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Volcanoes erupt now?
« on: April 20, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »

Just started a latest version fort, everyone died to zombies, I reclaimed, and now the volcano's magma level is slowly but surely rising. It has overtaken the stairs down I was building into the caldera and will soon overtake the lip of the caldera itself.

Is this a feature or an interesting bug?

Does anyone want to see the save?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Volcanoes erupt now?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 05:23:11 pm »

Yup natural magmafall up in here now. I think the strain on the FPS is probably massive, but still super interesting.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 05:51:57 pm »

Coool. That's absolutely a bug, and I absolutely do want to see the save.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 07:46:19 pm »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 08:46:37 pm »

Magma pools in a caverns will do the same thing in a reclaim, flooding magma into caverns and causing collapse messages as trees burn. Map-edge fortifications will stop allowing water off the map. Salt water will flood tunnels below the ocean (but above the caverns I believe).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:36:32 pm »

Interesting--when did this start?  I often reclaimed forts from 2012 on, often picked sites with either lots of water or lots of magma and have never seen this before.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 11:11:06 pm »

I do not know, but my current embark has both issues.

The ocean is flooding in through the previous embark's map-edge fortifications, about 23 z's below the lowest ocean level (the funny part is that I intentionally exited the water below the ocean because it amused me, and now my FPS is paying for it).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The magma is slowly obsidian-izing a cavern lake.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: The magma pool has been found and the magma flow is being created 3 z's above where the magma would normally sit in the magma pool, which is one z below the top z of the magma pool's tube formation.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:51:59 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 07:25:44 am »

Yeah - I built an ocean side retreat with a complicated pump system with bridges as locks to refill a cistern (for a well and fishing). Upon reclaiming, water was shooting upwards from the well into the rest of the fort. It stopped after a flip of the bridge switches - but I still haven't figured out how it happened. Almost seems like a duplication bug for water tiles or something.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 11:08:15 am »

It seems that the reclaim triggers a check of the map-edge tiles of the ocean region (everything above the caverns), and if an edge tile is open to the map, as the fortifications allow, then it becomes a spawn point for the ocean water after the reclaim.

For the magma pool (which is within the caverns but below the ocean), the magma spawn points either moved or were copied, from the floor of the cavern to the ceiling of the cavern. I cannot determine if the magma spawn points that were at the floor of the cavern at still there.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 04:20:08 pm »

i think i noticed this on an adventurer once? dunno what save it was or even where it was, unfortunately, but it was coming up over the underground road
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 11:24:40 am »

Known bug since at least 0.40.10, possibly earlier.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 01:37:18 am »

You say bug, some say essential feature.   :D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 09:38:42 am »

You say bug, some say essential feature.   :D

If it was a feature, then it would happen immediately after embark and you wouldn't have to abandon+reclaim or retire+unretire first.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 10:02:19 am »

I was thinking more of a big red button hidden in one of the menus.   Push q-v-l-b-shift.d-V for volcanic armageddon. 

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 10:12:59 am »

Known bug since at least 0.40.10, possibly earlier.
Aye, and before that, we had... this.

Push q-v-l-b-shift.d-V for volcanic armageddon.
...Sigged. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2