Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: saplings within zones  (Read 914 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
saplings within zones
« on: April 21, 2019, 03:01:26 pm »

A zone's plant gathering settings could include an option to:
- ignore saplings
- destroy saplings
- destroy non-fruit-bearing saplings
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: saplings within zones
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 01:10:38 pm »

I'd also suggest the ability to plant specific saplings? Maybe include planting patterns? I'd really like to be able to create orchards or tree farms without without micromanaging plant growth.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: saplings within zones
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:40:02 pm »

Having a placable sapling object selected by seeds (expand with x to see individuals and distance) that can be placed would be easier, fruits, nuts, abstract tree seeds, all sorts.

If it were to follow the OP's suggestion, the zone could be maintained (grass and saplings planted and replanted distributed in the zone by ordered controls) by dwarves with a miscellaneous gardening skill who will automatically do the required jobs from within the zone. Harvesting saplings and grass could be done inversely with the same labours in order to collect materials for gardening work.
  • Im not sure what constitutes collecting grass and moss other than physically removing the turf when it is dense, and plastering it over appicable dirt and mud to place a medium length patch. Bamboo as a grass could have further material properties, besides being suitable for pasturing pandas.
Here's a handful some similar threads, mostly regarding tree's within the last 6 years (threads streching to 2007 exist)

Plant trees  (Read 812 times)
tree propogation -layering- (see link) and sapling replacement  (Read 679 times)
planting/grass/tree seeding (I) area  (Read 347 times)
Relocating saplings.  (Read 534 times)