Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dog Breeds [WIP]  (Read 5942 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dog Breeds [WIP]
« on: April 22, 2019, 03:52:57 pm »

I am working on a mod to add different and unique dog breeds to the game and I would like to get the community's input. Should all breeds be hunting and war trainable or should it depend on the breed (coonhound-hunting, pitbull-war, etc)? Is there anything that you would like to see in this mod to make each dog breed feel unique?

These are the current breeds (28) I am working on adding in:

Akita
Beagle
Bloodhound
Boxer
Bulldog
Collie
Coonhound
Cur
Dalmatian
Foxhound
Great Dane
Great Pyrenees
Greyhound
Husky
Labrador
Mastiff
Pinscher
Pitbull
Pointer
Retriever
Rottweiler
Saint Bernard
Schnauzer
Sheepdog
Shepard
Setter
Spaniel
Terrier

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Breeds [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 12:41:34 am »

I'm happy to see that Pinscher is included. Have you considered adding poodles and Chihuahuas? They'll be weak, but I think it's likely somebody will get an funny story out of them.

As for the question, if it were me I think I'd make all the dogs trainable for either task except maybe the really small ones.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 06:31:13 am »

I'll add Poodles and Chihuahuas. DF is all about the funny stories. What about Maltese, Pomeranians, Corgis? Where should the small breeds end?

I'm leaning towards making them all trainable for everything and adding [LIKES_FIGHTING] to some of the more potentially aggressive breeds and [NOFEAR] to some of the braver ones.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:25:06 am »

LIKES_FIGHTING doesn't do anything. Try either modifying personality traits or giving natural skill ranks in discipline.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:04:55 pm »

Good to know thanks. I'll give the following natural skill ranks depending on breed: Biter, Dogder, Wrestler, Discipline , Observer, Swimmer

Will giving them personality traits create viewable thoughts and preferences for creatures? Can these creatures have needs and goals like dwarves?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 12:45:22 pm »

I wouldn't give any of them NOFEAR, because it stops them from fighting bogeymen and it's about to be possible to bring pets in Adventure Mode.

All animals actually have sentient personalities anyway, they're just hidden. You can see it if you play one in the Arena.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 02:05:27 pm »

Oh cool. Is there a way to unhide it on individual creatures? I'll remove NOFEAR then

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 02:17:37 pm »

I will also add ambusher as well for hunting dogs

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 03:44:44 pm »

I don't know if there's a way to see an animal's personality. Maybe with external programs, but I haven't heard of any that do that specifically.
My mods and forum games.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 08:28:15 am »

Here is the Bloodhound:

raw code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 10:51:06 am »

The natural skills don't really need to show up in the description, as you can already view them by, well, [v]iewing the creature.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 11:02:38 am »

Yeah that's true. I can remove them. I was thinking that it might be easier to see when purchasing from a trader in fortress mode, but I could probably just make an excel sheet with the values.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 01:15:48 pm »

and the boxer:

raw code:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 03:58:55 pm »

What is the general opinion on having differemt pet values and litter sizes dependent on breed?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 04:23:23 pm »

What is the general opinion on having differemt pet values and litter sizes dependent on breed?
Makes sense, if you keep it close to RL litter sizes; the pet values should be somewhat linked to the bodysize, since that what determines the amount of food produced by the butcher and their combat ability.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7