Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dog Breeds [WIP]  (Read 6104 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Breeds [WIP]
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2019, 06:12:48 pm »

No, it goes in the creature variation files at the top of the raw list. I can't check the exact name right now, but the giant and animalman variations are in there.

You'll want to make your own at some point, to avoid changing vanilla raws.

*I checked, it's c_variation_default.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:52:04 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2019, 06:47:17 pm »

Ah ok thanks. I'll check it out

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2019, 08:24:54 pm »

He just suggested using creature variations, so that you can do changes to all dogs with one line. Personally I think it's a bit redundant, considering mass find & replace exists, because you can add/remove stuff to all dogs anyway with one line that way. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2019, 10:12:01 pm »

In order to give creatures values, do I have to create new entities and assign the creatures to them? Giving a creature the [VALUE] entity token doesn't seem to do anything. If I make each breed it's own entity and put the values in those entities will they get thoughts and preferences?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2019, 03:00:23 am »

In order to give creatures values, do I have to create new entities and assign the creatures to them? Giving a creature the [VALUE] entity token doesn't seem to do anything. If I make each breed it's own entity and put the values in those entities will they get thoughts and preferences?

Values and personalities are different things, since values are adopted anyway by being inside the dwarven civ but matter very little to animals anyway. You'll be wanting the 'Facets' section that has determinable behaviours that aren't implicitly driven.

Values are abstract things like assumptions about justice, truth, societal concepts that don't really matter to a unintelligent creature, just slap the values like those in the box below onto the creature's RAW, since these creature raw facets are additional details that are irrespective of entity culture.

Code: ("example") [Select]
[PERSONALITY:TRUST:0:55:100] //or// [PERSONALITY:CURIOUS:0:55:100]
Like my previous statements, the numericals aren't fixed but you can alter it to a set range of max and minimum, having them all be the same value will lock it to that range. These typically are for sentients, but adding some choice ones to animals for behaviour is a bit of a technical bodge.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:02:21 am by FantasticDorf »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2019, 07:35:35 am »

Awesome thanks. I guess I was way off in my excel sheet. I will have to redo it with the correct personality traits.

What gameplay impact will be seen by adding something like curious or trust? Will the animal do anything or act any differently? Will these traits be viewable in game? Will they actually make a gameplay impact?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2019, 07:39:41 am »

I don't think they affect gameplay at all. Dogs stay either in pastures or follow their owners, their AI mostly depends on the training (none, war, hunting).

They are not that great, I'm a bit in a hurry these days, but if you are satisfied with how they look, I can do some rudimentary child, zombie and trained versions. Do you know how to write the graphics text files to assign the sprites? (Edit: Too late. :P )

Edit: Anyway, who needs 198 dog graphics? :D

First is adult, second is child (downscaled, so they look pixelated here and there), third is war (with red studded collar), fourth is hunting (with purple band), fifth are zombified (green hue with blood/bones), sixth are corpses (currently unused, but will feature in the Steam/Itch.io tileset)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:28:18 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2019, 08:43:36 am »

These are really good. Great work! :)

My only question would be that the husky looks like a different style from the others. I am ok with whichever way you want to go, but do you think it would be more consistent if you used the akita or great pyrenees as the base and modified the graphic a bit? Up to you though. Great work.

I do not know how to code the graphics in. Is it all done in the creature_ txt file?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2019, 08:47:51 am »

Yeah, when I googled the dog breeds I did see some nice sprites as well, hence the husky and chihuahua look a bit different. I can remake those.

Nothing is done in the creature files, you have to make a new file for raw/graphics, graphics_creature_dog.txt (or whatever). It looks like this:
graphics_domestic

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:DOMESTIC]
   [FILE:domestic.png]
   [TILE_DIM:32:32]
   [PAGE_DIM:15:5]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DOG]
   [DEFAULT:DOMESTIC:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:DOMESTIC:5:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [ANIMATED:DOMESTIC:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [TRAINED_WAR:DOMESTIC:3:4:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [TRAINED_HUNTER:DOMESTIC:2:4:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:CAT]
   [DEFAULT:DOMESTIC:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:DOMESTIC:6:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [ANIMATED:DOMESTIC:11:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:MULE]
   [DEFAULT:DOMESTIC:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:DOMESTIC:7:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [ANIMATED:DOMESTIC:12:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DONKEY]
   [DEFAULT:DOMESTIC:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:DOMESTIC:8:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [ANIMATED:DOMESTIC:13:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

This wiki entry explains everything: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphic_set

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 08:51:10 am »

I like the chihuahua and corgi. I just think the husky looks a bit different from the others.

And cool. I will try and create the graphics text.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2019, 09:12:56 am »

Would this sheet be [PAGE_DIM:6:34] or does it start with 0 making it [PAGE_DIM:5:33]?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 09:31:23 am »

It's 6:34 for the dimensions. It starts counting at 1.

Then when you do the positions of the creatures, it starts counting at 0. Because... DF.  ::)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2019, 11:01:28 am »

Thanks. I thought I had the file correct, but after inserting the graphic txt file into the meph tileset raws, all of the dogs appear as random vermin

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 11:22:05 am »

Post it please, I'll finish it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2019, 12:14:10 pm »

Those dog sprites look cool.

I wanted to suggest giving the zombie Doberman its normal colors. That way, they'd look like the Resident Evil dogs.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7