Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A pity Nobles can't be Militia Captains.  (Read 686 times)

Malkyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A pity Nobles can't be Militia Captains.
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:49:50 pm »

So, I've, uh, got a few superfluous nobles:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, I'm not inclined to panic.  Adversity is opportunity.  I had big dreams!  I thought:
I have exactly ten extra nobles.  I'm going to put all of them in a squad together.  I'll call them "The Legends."  I'll send them to fight all the megabeasts together!  If they win, then yay!  If they lose, then yay!

Some of them were already training in the military, so I went to find the one with the best skills to make into my Militia Captain for this new squad.  And then, I discovered the flaw in my devious plan:  I can't make nobles into Militia Captains.  Nooooooooo!

So, that means that only nine dwarves get to be in the squad, and I need to sacrifice one of my other dwarves to be the leader for this surly bunch of overprivileged malcontents.

I'm curious as to your !!FUN!! thoughts on three questions:

1.) What kind of dwarf would be "worthy" of leading this squad of "Legends"?  A competent, steely-gazed fighter with nothing to lose?  A blithering fool with no useful skills? A perpetually rage-filled axedwarf who already murdered another dwarf during a tantrum? The very lonely Vampire who has been slowly building out a personal palace in the first cavern layer?

2.) What unfair, thoroughly arbitrary criteria would you use for determining which noble is spared from the squad?  The one with the most useful skills?  The one with the least annoying mandates?  The one with the easiest-to-acquire set of favorite materials/foods?  The happiest one?  The one with the biggest family?  The youngest?  The oldest?  The one with the silliest name?  Or do I not spare them at all, and instead train them up to replace the first "Legend" who (inevitably) buys the farm?

3.) What should I do with their ludicrously fancy rooms, after they have finished making their mark on history?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: A pity Nobles can't be Militia Captains.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 07:05:49 pm »

Fun fact: You can order soldiers individually. You could send one soldier to his doom/glory, then fill his spot after he dies of old age/immediate dismemberment.

Or hell, pick one baron you like best. Let him live.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:00:43 pm »

I'd likely send one of you're angrier, more stressed dwarves with them. No sense on keeping too many stressed out dwarves around.

And as a bonus, if you see an enemy camp/town with less than 10 units, you might be at an advantage for a demand surrender and occupy campaign.
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Malkyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 03:38:35 pm »

And as a bonus, if you see an enemy camp/town with less than 10 units, you might be at an advantage for a demand surrender and occupy campaign.

Ooooooooh, I hadn't thought of that.  I like the way you're thinking!

Now I'm imagining these 9 spoiled nobles and an angry axeman ordering these poor villagers around.  WHERE ARE MY FIGURINES?  I MANDATED YOU TO CONSTRUCT FIGURINES THREE WEEKS AGO!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 04:03:15 pm »

Cruel and unusual punishment indeed...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 04:04:17 pm »

I'm curious, do figurines and toys actually make dwarves happy?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 04:09:43 pm »

Trinkets provide a need satisfaction when acquired, but probably don't provide any ongoing benefit (driving dorfs to collect hoards of items, sometimes lugging all of them around with them). Toys are used by kids for playing, and I suspect it helps keeping them sane while growing up in a madhouse.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »

Ooooooooh, I hadn't thought of that.  I like the way you're thinking!

Now I'm imagining these 9 spoiled nobles and an angry axeman ordering these poor villagers around.  WHERE ARE MY FIGURINES?  I MANDATED YOU TO CONSTRUCT FIGURINES THREE WEEKS AGO!

Been having fun with getting rid of tantrum prone dwarves this way including one Baron who fled imprisonment this way! ...Kind of wish I could request him back just to lock him in a cage for a little.
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.