Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: D0rfForge - a dwarven name generator  (Read 7191 times)

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
  • Schlagen Sie auf die Erde!
    • View Profile
D0rfForge - a dwarven name generator
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:32:02 am »

New, Exciting Features!
  • Tired of thinking up names for all your dwarven babies? Just give 'em a random one! They won't know the difference anyway!
  • Do you want several babies all named Id? Well who wouldn't? Easily hold on to parts of a name and throw away the rest
  • Are the dwarf babies getting wise to your schemes and starting to tell the difference? Custom-tailor your names with several* naming pools that you can allow and forbid as you please
  • Are your babies starting to get spoiled and demanding ever more exotic names? Put those wriggly bastards in their place with an elven name!
Use it for your tabletop game or something, idk.
* more than seven.

d0rfforge.com

Click part of the name to freeze that section and regenerate the rest!

Built in my spare time using Javascript on a React.js framework. It's true, I'm no good at styling. Adheres to the Dwarf Fortress naming algorithm as best I can tell. No backend functionality yet, but I plan to add many more features in the future. The end product should be able to generate !!forgotten beasts!!, artifacts, engravings, and epithets. Maybe a few other things if I don't get burned out by then. Any suggestions, comments, wishes, riddles, constructive/destructive/hateful criticism is welcome.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:52:00 am by anthony62490 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: D0rfForge - a dwarven name generator
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 11:24:47 pm »

"Get Name" button does nothing for me. "Settings" works. Using browser Waterfox 56.2.9.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:41:27 am »

"Get Name" button does nothing for me. "Settings" works.
Same here.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:14:20 am »

"Get Name" button does nothing for me. "Settings" works. Using browser Waterfox 56.2.9.
Thanks very much. I'll look into getting that patched up
Same here.
Thanks for letting me know. Could you tell me your browser and OS so I can take a closer look at it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:20:55 am by anthony62490 »

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:11:09 am »

All right you two. I found the issue and fixed it. I also got the sliders all gussied up on non-chrome browsers. Tested everything in Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox, Edge, and I tried to test it in IE, but the damn thing crashed before I could even load the page. :D

Now back to work on the FB generator.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. I know exactly what's going on with IE. It's gonna take a bit of work to make IE happy. It probably won't work under Opera either. :/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:24:17 am by anthony62490 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 12:05:30 pm »

Confirmed as working.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dragonsploof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 11:18:02 am »

This is really cool. Good luck on expanding it further.