Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [44.12] Animal Diversification Project 1.2  (Read 5437 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
[44.12] Animal Diversification Project 1.2
« on: May 02, 2019, 05:08:57 pm »

Have you ever wondered why there are ten nearly identical species of gibbons in DF? Have you wondered why, despite that, there is only one antelope while antelopes are a wide and diverse group? Have you wondered why llamas in DF have soft, fleshy stumps for feet? Or maybe you just wanted to see elven invaders arrive on giant musk deer?

For all your animal related problems:

Animal Diversification Project

What's the deal?

Animal Diversification Project was born from all of the frustrations listed above. It was initially supposed to add only deer and antelopes, but as I went on ideas started to accumulate, so I said "screw it, I'm going the whole proverbial hog".
This mod's aim is to add more clutter in the form of animals of animals of the real variety. I will keep releasing more and more content until I feel like it's done, until I won't feel like updating anymore, or until I just forget.

Installation guide

Drop files from folders into 'raw' folder.
Vanilla and misc files are required.
Extant animal pack is the main feature of the mod, so it's required.
Extinct animal pack is completely optional.

Compatibility

ADP modifies vanilla creature raws; all mods that do the same are not compatible without manual tweaking.
Other mods that add real animals, modern or extinct, will overlap with this mod, but there won't be any raw duplication errors.

Absolute state of this mod...

Currently the mod contains ungulates, canids and felids. Next come other carnivorans.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: [44.12] Animal Diversification Project 1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 09:49:54 am »

Needless to say, this is a really cool mod. As the description doesn't really tell quite the extent of it, it currently adds 148 extant species (134 if you count out the 14 vanilla species that have been removed/split/edited), 59 extinct species, and, of course, giant and animal person variants of them all.

I've got a suggestion as well: add [CREATURE_CLASS:EXTINCT] to the extinct creatures to make the mod compatible with Scourge's neanderthals. Well, them and any other mod that decides to make use of the EXTINCT creature class now that I've made the push to make all applicable mods use it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:34:09 am »

Love this. :)

Did you know there is only one(!) type of beetle in the game? And only three spiders?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 02:18:22 pm »

SQman, you should make some sort of list, either here or in the files, detailing what are the included animals and where to find them. Would eliminate a lot of the guesswork for users.

Aside from that, great work.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 01:19:27 am »

Are all the new animals in new files? How about giant and animal versions of exisitng animals? Was just looking around for some more animal diversity and thought that might be useful to have in the op for those of us adding to already modded games.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:21:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 05:11:56 am »

I've got a suggestion as well: add [CREATURE_CLASS:EXTINCT] to the extinct creatures to make the mod compatible with Scourge's neanderthals. Well, them and any other mod that decides to make use of the EXTINCT creature class now that I've made the push to make all applicable mods use it.

I was meant to do that actually; I have no idea why I didn't. Should be done in next update.

Love this. :)

Did you know there is only one(!) type of beetle in the game? And only three spiders?

Oh yes, and one of the spiders is fictional. Arthropods will come late, but they are definitely on the list. The problem with them is that there is just so many genera it's hard to choose what is interesting enough.
So far for spiders I've got planned black widows, european garden spiders, golden silk orb-weavers, diving bell spiders, a few kinds of tarantulas, brazilian wandering spiders (known for boner-inducing venom).

SQman, you should make some sort of list, either here or in the files, detailing what are the included animals and where to find them. Would eliminate a lot of the guesswork for users.

Aside from that, great work.

Alt+f is always there, though I guess I should make stuff more readable and tidy up the zip file while I'm at it

Are all the new animals in new files? How about giant and animal versions of exisitng animals? Was just looking around for some more animal diversity and thought that might be useful to have in the op for those of us adding to already modded games.

All new animals are in new files. Vanilla animals and their animal man and giant variants that were modified in any way were moved to new files. Vanilla deer were removed altogether
All vanilla files included in the mod are modified.

I've noticed that animal men version of animals that have hooved toes have both hooves and nails. Next update will fix that. Also I forgot about bluebuck, the only notable extinct antelope. Also mouse deer probably deserve some representation.

I've finished extant donkeys and zebras, plus giant horses and horse men. Started working on extinct horses, which famously differ only by the number of toes. I don't really like horses, if I gotta be honest.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Animal Diversification Project 1.1
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 07:08:18 am »

Sorry to keep you waiting, y'all! I've had some stuff going on in my life, but I'm getting it all sorted out. What matters is that I've got an update containing odd-toed ungulates, namely:

Spoiler: Content (click to show/hide)

Also made some changes to hippo and camel man feet, as weird as it sounds.
Next will be carnivores, much more interesting than horses. I'll be trying to go easy on extinct animals from now on, we'll see how that will turn out.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 01:50:12 pm »

This is still amazing! How detailed are the changes in the creatures?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 02:59:02 pm »

Add breeds for fanciful creatures.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »

The fanciful creatures aren't even in the game, and only appear in myths and legends. ^^

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 04:04:06 pm »

The fanciful creatures aren't even in the game, and only appear in myths and legends. ^^
Not does not exist, just fanciful. Like troll or harpy.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 03:28:44 pm »

This is still amazing! How detailed are the changes in the creatures?

In the existing creatures? Some sizes were adjusted, colors slightly altered, muskoxen and camels were made shearable, some animals became milkable, domestic animals that also appear in the wild have giant and animalman variants (forgot about yaks, will fix next) in the next update wolves, giant foxes and giant boars will be trainable. The biggest change is toes and/or hooves in hippos, camels and rhinos. By default those animals have fleshy stubs instead of feet which bothers me greatly.
For the future I plan on giving skunks stink-spray, making monitor lizards lightly venomous, giving butterflies proboscises instead of generic mouths, small changes like this.

I might do that, but obviously it's very low on the priority list. Unicorn and satyr variants should be easy to come up with; A E S T H E T I C marble men as a gabbro man variant sounds fun too.

Anyway, I'm done with dogs, or at least I think so. There are also some other changes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got a few ideas, but I don't know if those are good ideas:
-Plants associated with certain animals, like umbrella thorn acacia for giraffes, reindeer lichen for reindeer, sweet grass for wisents.
-Fuegian dog - a domesticated culpeo. I don't know how I feel about adding it as a common domestic animal, considering they are extinct.
-Domestic red foxes - the problem with these is that red fox has been domesticated recently in an experiment. Not sure if that would be fitting for DF.

Now I'm gonna be working on cats or bears, whatever I feel like doing.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 03:59:26 pm »

Reindeer lichen is not in vanilla DF, not sweet grass either, unless it's in by some other name. Umbrella thorn acacias aren't in specifically, but I think it is a fine idea to tie the giraffes to acacias in general (+biome).

Fuegian dogs went extinct after the 1400AD cutoff, so they could be included without worrying too much about that. The real problem I would argue is how limited they were geographically, compared to the other domesticated animals. Red foxes should probably be kept in the trainable-only range though; the player would still be able to domesticate them (or come close to) in-game without breaking the cutoff.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 01:47:03 pm »

Stupid question: Would you be interested in sprites for the new creatures?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 02:12:43 pm »

Stupid question: Would you be interested in sprites for the new creatures?

that would be a lot of sprites
Pages: [1] 2