Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golem army force  (Read 2763 times)

Grey977

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Golem army force
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:08:52 am »

Good day.

In my fortress im very interested in a golem army. Im already have 15 iron,1 mithril and 3 platinum golem.
So... I want to make them even more powerfull. I can give them weapon/shields and learn skill in library at first and poor animals(like elves and goblins) next.
But i can't give them armour. There bodysize token is 90k,when dwarfs is 65k. So because this they cant equip standard armor. It seems,that i cant find civ,that will fit golem size. And golems as they are,are not included in forge list of civs.

What civ size can i make armor to fit golems? Or other means to equip them armour. If i understand correctly it must bu armor fo humanoid from 80k to 100k?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Golem army force
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 04:22:56 am »

Black bear men are 95k, so that should work.

Grey977

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 02:54:21 pm »

Oh yeeees. It works!

Ths good man! Now i can make full metal alch warrior.
Metal inside, metal outside.

Lupe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 03:54:32 pm »

So, I've also been experimenting with a kind of autonomous golem factory, and it's useful to note that any equipment made by members of a race is by default sized properly for them. So if you're using smith golems to forge equipment, it all comes out the right size*. Admittedly, zero quality, but smith golems don't sleep and can be added to very small burrows, so production is at least fast.

If I get somewhere with it, I'll make a post, it's quite a nice abuse of golems for fun and profit

*The same holds true for ogres on the orc mod, who genuinely have no comparably sized creature

What weapons are you using for your golems? I'm thinking great axes, ideally tungsten, for mine.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:17:53 pm by Lupe »

Grey977

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:36:13 pm »

But without RAW editing they can only be trained to 5-8 level. So no good quality by this soulles iron hands.

So golems are 90k in size. Most 2h weapons can be used by golems as 1-handed as they need 75k size (or near) for 2handed check.

My golem army are using all sorts of weapon. 10 platinum maul golems,10 steel great axe,10 steel pikes. For every enemy is its own death.

Tungsten is heavy and good for blunt, but not wery sharp. So as i know steel is better.

The best in my army is 2 platinum golems with platltinum spiked double chain and second whith platinum whip. Speed and weigth make them deadly as far as i see. One strike to cut brain under steel helm with destroying helm...

And gole beast is FULL mithril(and armor) with 2h sword.

And yes. They can use shield and great axe/maul and so on.

At the end weapon only matter on enemy type.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:40:26 am by Grey977 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 07:42:19 am »

You can inspect the properties of metals (particularly metal weapons to judge efficiency) by scrolling down the list past the text to look at details like sharpness (vs iron baseline)  copper being 50%, and physicality data. Therefore can make tougher golems if you just pick your materials a bit better on the protection aspect, platinum is heavy but doesn't really offer super great protection.

EI: Mithril (heavy, ideal) / Ebony glass (medium weight) and / Ashland Glass (light) are all roughly the same in resistance statistics, though materials like steel are obviously fully lava proof.

90k makes them slightly smaller than Orc Ologs, and roughly the same size as uruk's, a cave troll still overshadows both of them with 200k~ish size. Orc clothes should fit then in the 'd' details sizings for your skillful dwarves to make and refine for you save using golem smiths.

Grey977

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:24:36 am »

Yes. Platinum armour is a poor choise. But blunt properties is defined by weigth. So it is better then silver for mauls and hand/foot strikes that golems can do and direct impact of bodyslam. But im not certan about how properties of used in craft metals transformed to body of golem. I know that defensive properties applyed well. But weigth of fist... Need confirmation. I have no access to RAWs and game now,but platinum may be even better then tungsten for blunt damage.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 08:20:54 pm »

But without RAW editing they can only be trained to 5-8 level. So no good quality by this soulles iron hands.
You can use the Weaponry and Armorer forges to improve quality on created items tho.  So you can use that to get good quality properly sized armor.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:05:53 am »

You can use the Weaponry and Armorer forges to improve quality on created items tho.  So you can use that to get good quality properly sized armor.

Only works once because it applies a pseudo improvement that denies repeated attempts, i normally reserve it for exceptionally made gear. Simple setup is the same as trying to get thing decorated, create named dumping zone over a restricted individual pile activated to the type of thing being stored there, materials and other links in place run the job, and then have it be returned to main piles afterwards and turn off the dumping zone.

cut gems pile link + furniture dump -> Jewelers workshop -> stones get embedded -> decorated furniture goes back to pile.

Works on the same premise but you simply dump weapons, add fuel and they upgrade the undecorated gear themselves and then it can be collected back up later.