Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: WIZARD Ramble! - An Illustrated RTD Dungeon-Crawl!  (Read 6842 times)

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
WIZARD Ramble! - An Illustrated RTD Dungeon-Crawl!
« on: May 04, 2019, 04:20:11 pm »

WIZARD RAMBLE
Spells, Guts and more guts

The air is somewhat brisque and chilling on these tall plains. You smell the sweet ocean and hear the waves spray a distance away and below the cliffside.
As you sober up to your surroundings you turn to the Broccoli-headed armor-plated being wearing an aura of leadership, dismounting to an open section of the field.

With a deep and commanding voice he says:
"Welcome to the Tower of the Fawn you bewitching warriors!
Long have we travelled to come to this place. Freezing deserts, exploding fields, sinking clouds. We've been through much, but we're hungry for more!

Soldiers of the Forsworn! Whether you're a Mage, Hedge-Knight, Wanderer, Warlock, or whatever... You've all gotten here one way or another!
This crimson tower sticking out of the ground is our latest task! I don't care if we have to gut this tower empty, we're getting to the top and we're getting our prize!

The Easing Feline men! That magic beast is what I want! That's my goal! Bring it to me for glory and boons will come to you!

After a rallying speech and a loud war-cry from the gathered group of magical, mutated, war-clad entities around you, you begin to feel the adrenaline pumping in your veins.
With a burning motivation the war-camp is set, equipment is unloaded, tents are blooming, campfires are lit, food cooked, weapons cleaned, arcane tomes re-read, songs sang and prayers prayed.
It's almost here.

As a nearby war-horn sounds no one feels surprise at it's beckon. All you feel is more impulse for the upcoming task. You know that the siege and infiltration will begin.
There's no doubt about it that tower's gonna be a bloodbath full of wizard guts. But then again, wizard guts can be found everywhere in this world.
As you prepare to be a part of the first wave a question inserts itself into your mind.

Wait who am I?

Spoiler: What's going on?! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Game Rules! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Creation! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wizard template (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example Wizards (click to show/hide)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: Vanguard Roster (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:19:07 pm by foxtrot »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARD Ramble! - An Illustrated RTD Dungeon-Crawl!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:24:51 pm »

Sheet goes here.

Name: Rū
STR: 3
DEX: 3+3
MIND: 4+1
Random.org Rolls, 3, 1.

Description: Short with two horns sticking upward out of her head, and a flexible tail with a spade shape, black. Gold hair seemingly connected to the scalp smoothly, yellow skin, red eyes. Oh, and she's about 5 feet tall, and wears a short kimono, for some reason.

Equipment: Sakazuki, with golden pattern laid into the bottom. Endless sake, it just keeps refilling forever. Those that have drunk from it long enough do not die, nor are negatively affected from poison.
Flame Kimono, grants total fire negation. All Fire, and all associated with it, including smoke.
Sakeblade: a rice wine urn handle connected to a long blade of some width. Grants the user power as long as they are buzzed. Poisons foes cut with numerous debuffs.(mostly making them super drunk and get alcohol poisoning)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:48:09 pm by TricMagic »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 05:01:04 pm »

That artwork looks incredible. Really looking forward to trying this.

Spoiler: Deinonychus Wizard (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 05:52:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:56:04 pm by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 06:01:35 pm »

Beethro

Level 3.  Level rolls, 1,2

Strength 7
Dexterity 3
Mind 3

(stat sheet edited)

Description:  A human with odd grayish-purplish skin from staying too long underground.  Has a mop of disheveled orange hair on top of his ugly mug.  Wears a yellow shirt and brown pants, along with a heavy pair of leather dungeon delver's boots.

Equipment:

Really big sword.  Long treasured bit of dungeon delver's equipment, sharp, long, and yellow-hilted.  Adept at all things stabby and slicy.

Cooking gear.  Somehow capable of turning week-old dungeon roach products into tasty meals.  Sadly, only capable of making meals of things found underground, inside ruins, abandoned towers, and similar places.

Smitemaster's Boots.  Surefooted veterans of a dozen campaigns and thousands of corpses, these boots are proof for all kinds of tricky terrain, allowing safe passage next to sheer cliffs, or atop massive piles of slick roach guts.  Sadly, they are boots for stomping on things, and as such they never fail to trigger any trap on any space Beethro should choose to plant them.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:00:12 pm by Devastator »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 07:09:12 pm »

Tell me if something doesn't work for you or if the description is too annoying to draw.

Spoiler: krofeus (click to show/hide)

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 07:20:29 pm »

Tell me if something doesn't work for you or if the description is too annoying to draw.

No this is great! The more details the clearer it is for me to draw it.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 07:48:31 pm »

Name: Alisdair
STR: 6
DEX: 1
MIND: 3

Description: An incredibly tall and well-built man, almost comically so (he has difficulty with doors). However, as opposed to his buff upper-body, his legs are humorously thin (though still long), making one wonder how such toothpick-like limbs could hold up the sheer mass of the rest of the body. Sports a lovely handlebar mustache and luscious flowing bronze hair (literally bronze, transmuted in an accident and left in that state because he decided he quite liked it), his chin is almost rectangular. He wears heavy and excessively spiked plate armor, serving to further broaden his already large form, though he wears no such armor on his lower body, opting to leave his legs exposed to bewilder the world, wearing only a small kilt for modesty's sake.
Equipment:
Bottomless bottle of body oil: Because when doesn't one's lovely muscular body need to be re-shined?
Inconsistently weighted dumbbell: A piece of workout equipment whose weight shifts upon the command of its owner, Alisdair, being able to become incredibly light or incredibly heavy - but no inbetween.
Poking stick: A stick that Alisdair wields that he swears has the power of "Extreme poking". Pokes pretty well, at least.
Potion of mystery: A bottle containing a potion with a random effect. The entire potion must be consumed for the effect to take place, but if it is refilled with water the water will quickly turn into a new variety of random potion. The effect tends to be quite inconvenient.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:07:17 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 08:36:16 pm »

Name: Adamus "Adam" le Gant
STR: 1
DEX: 1
MIND: 8

Description: Adamus, but just "Adam" to most everyone except for legalese on papers, was a normal, lower middle-class peasant until the circus pulled into town. Always wanting to perform for more than just local finks, he consorted with eldritch powers most scary to learn the art of stagecraft -- and quickly discovered he had a curious knack for getting people to pay attention, through the good old-fashioned art of suggestion, psychic manipulation, and Old One mind-buggery. All this despite him being a fair weed of a dude at about 5'10", wearing a gaudy vest and well-preened top hat, curly-tipped shoes and pin-striped baggy trousers like some wacked-out version of Willy Wonka. Smoky-lensed, wire-rimmed glasses sit on the bridge of his beak-like long nose. A mop of dark hair that would make Ozzy Osbourne proud is held back only by thick braids ringing his scalp.

Equipment:
  • Imp familiar, by the name of "Glott". Part of a contract he struck up to earn his powers. A mouthy little red-and-black urchin of a humanoid the size of a squirrel, Glott practically lives in Adam's pockets, his hair, and anywhere else he can fit, popping out occasionally to make rude comments to whoever happens to be nearby. Adam keeps him around mostly because he makes such a phenomenal stage partner for tricks; you can light him on fire and he won't even singe!
  • Light-Pen. Looks like a fountain pen, but when the button is pressed and held, it can trace glowing silver lines in the air that persist until the button is released. Very handy for making messages, writing his name out to folks, or finding his way in the dark.
  • 3 daggers; two on his belt, one hidden on his ankle. As far as the blades, they're mostly simple steel; but the hilts are made of carved wooden fetishes depicting humanoids with hateful expressions on their faces. In each of these daggers lies the soul of a poor guy who got sucked into Adam's world and wanted to work with him on the big circus stage. Well, they got their wish... just shoulda been careful what they wished for. Glott always tries to nibble at these souls when he can, only for them to angrily move of their own accord to poke or slice at him. They serve Adam willingly, and only him.
  • A throw rug made of human leather. Besides making a comfy footrest, it's the perfect way to dispose of unwanted bodies; if placed on bare flesh, it comes to life and attempts to absorb the skin off the body, while draining it dry of blood in the process. It started as a circus act gone horribly wrong, but has since become a useful tool.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:39:35 pm by Xvareon »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 02:45:25 am »

Name: Gordack
STR: 2
DEX: 2
MIND: 6

Description: A tall, brown-haired man with a long unbraided brown beard, wearing a full suit of chainmail armour over his blue wizardy robes, including shirt, arms, and chausses over his trousers, but no coif cause of the antlers. He also wears large, steel toe-capped boots, and leather gloves. He has a small set of antlers protuding from his head which he uses as a hanger for his lantern, and a few smaller bags. He has a brown cloth backpack filled with his personal belongings that can’t be hung on his antlers. He carries the walking-staff of agonizing pain everywhere he goes, and always wears the Cloak of Many disguises and affects, usually disguised as a brown scarf.
Equipment:
The Book of Masterful Design: When opened it will create a three-dimensional blueprint of the structure that it is currently located within, along with little notes ont he design, architecture, and places in it where the masonry/timbers/whatever is the weakest, and moet likely to collapse. If the structure is upheld by magic, it will note that down as well.
The Cloak of Many Disguises and Affects: A cloak and hood which can change the appearance of the individual wearing it or render them invisible. It can change it’s design on the wearer’s whim, it may begin to billow in unsees wind or become cleaned/soiled at any time.
The Small Stone Of Much Flying: A small stone,instantly recognizable to any who know of it’s ability, but an ordinary rock to all else. When held on an individual’s person, it grows wings on the individual’s back, which they may use to fly, if they know how to. When the rock is dropped or placed in a backpack far from the individual’s body, the affect abruptly stops.
The walking-staff of agonizing pain: When a living creature is hit with this stick, they will suddenly discover that they are in agonizing pain, which will last for half a minute. It does no actual damage, except maybe mental trauma.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 04:42:25 am »

Oh sweet, another WIZARDS game!  I've always loved Dubs' wizards games, it's awesome to see a descendant that isn't just a Perplexicon clone!  And with art, too!

Absolutely agreed.  The artstyle reminds me of Darkest Dungeon, which is absolutely a good thing.  I look forward to seeing more, Foxtrot!

...And yeah, not missing out, myself.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

I've got a couple questions.  First, you say that our wizard level is 3, and mention rolling our stats.  The only stat rolling I can see is a mention of gaining 1d4 stat points every time we gain a wizard level; does this mean we add 3d4 points to our stats?  I did that and got a 12 (yay?), but then only one other person has more than ten points put in stats, and they seem to have rolled 2d4.

Second, ah, is my char's silence OP?  I did that because I think it would be entertaining to see art of a character frantically gesticulating to talk, but I could just as well make him voiceless if you don't want appearances to have game effects.

Finally, because this is something I tried to get Piecewise to change way back when, the levelup system for WIZARDS! is really slow and predictable, unlike the rest of the setting and system.  It would be faster and be more thematic if you leveled up after gaining that number of "kill points", and gained points from a wizard kill equal to 1dL, L being their wizard level.  Your game seems better adapted to the slow pace (everyone starts as a wizard, level matters much less), but I can't resist mentioning this.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 05:08:30 am »

I think the Rules' first part specifies that a new character has 10 points to spend on their stats. It's in the upper left corner.

Name: Daalira

STR: 3
DEX: 2
MIND: 5

Description: A short, thin, pale woman wearing a dented helmet and a leather armor with thin stone plates fused into its surface. Her skin and apparel alike are permeated with greyish dust. Her frowning face is sometimes visited by a crooked smile, and her high, somewhat grating voice fits her generally sardonic disposition.

Equipment:
Miner's Protective Gear: a steel skullcap with a visor protecting the face and ears, and a stone-plated leather armor with a high collar to protect the neck. They should, in theory, protect the wearer from blastwaves and flying shrapnel. They have done their job so far, but they have dents, chips, and quite a few embedded stone shards to show for it.
Blasting Rod: wood and metal seamlessly fused into one thick, heavy, short rod, about two feet long, with a jagged piece of rough quartz set into one end. It increases the precision of spells that explode, shatter, and evaporate matter. It does nothing to make those spells any safer, however.
Alchemist's Tool Belt: a belt with various tools hanging from it in tightly sealed leather pouches. These tools can be used to perceive matter's alchemical composition and properties, separate and combine individual components of matter, and strengthen or weaken alchemical properties of said components. They are highly sensitive and thus tend to give unusual results unless they are kept clean.
Bracer of Long-Acting Levitation: a clunky, angular bracer made from fused pieces of metal, crystals, stone, leather and wood. It is commonly used to levitate large chunks of stone and to stop tunnels from caving in on themselves until they can be fused into something sturdier. It is only reliable when used on heavy objects; levitating something light with it is a good way to bring some excitement into your life.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:54:40 am by HmH »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 05:18:16 am »

((That makes sense to me, and was what I thought at first, but on the second image there's a bit saying to roll your character's stats before posting.  Above the big red "Your wizard is level 3" line, it says "Once your character is thought up roll it's stats and post that bastard! Or PM it to me if there's details you'd like to keep secret :)"  Then, right below the red line, it says "(Regarding Rolling your character's stats please see the Rules link/image!)"  Except, there's no rolling involved in the part mentioning you getting ten stat points.  So either you're supposed to roll points for the wizard levels (which are mentioned between those two quotes), you're supposed to roll for where those ten points are distributed, or Foxtrot made the character creation image and then removed randomized rolls for stats, but forgot to change the character creation image.  So, I asked for an explanation.))

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 06:04:03 am »

((That makes sense to me, and was what I thought at first, but on the second image there's a bit saying to roll your character's stats before posting.  Above the big red "Your wizard is level 3" line, it says "Once your character is thought up roll it's stats and post that bastard! Or PM it to me if there's details you'd like to keep secret :)"  Then, right below the red line, it says "(Regarding Rolling your character's stats please see the Rules link/image!)"  Except, there's no rolling involved in the part mentioning you getting ten stat points.  So either you're supposed to roll points for the wizard levels (which are mentioned between those two quotes), you're supposed to roll for where those ten points are distributed, or Foxtrot made the character creation image and then removed randomized rolls for stats, but forgot to change the character creation image.  So, I asked for an explanation.))

That was my mistake, there's no rolling for the stats.
I simply used a very poor choice of words for character creation, instead of "roll those stats" it should be "Distribute those stats".

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 06:12:13 am »

Oh sweet, another WIZARDS game!  I've always loved Dubs' wizards games, it's awesome to see a descendant that isn't just a Perplexicon clone!  And with art, too!

Absolutely agreed.  The artstyle reminds me of Darkest Dungeon, which is absolutely a good thing.  I look forward to seeing more, Foxtrot!

...And yeah, not missing out, myself.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

I've got a couple questions.  First, you say that our wizard level is 3, and mention rolling our stats.  The only stat rolling I can see is a mention of gaining 1d4 stat points every time we gain a wizard level; does this mean we add 3d4 points to our stats?  I did that and got a 12 (yay?), but then only one other person has more than ten points put in stats, and they seem to have rolled 2d4.

Second, ah, is my char's silence OP?  I did that because I think it would be entertaining to see art of a character frantically gesticulating to talk, but I could just as well make him voiceless if you don't want appearances to have game effects.

Finally, because this is something I tried to get Piecewise to change way back when, the levelup system for WIZARDS! is really slow and predictable, unlike the rest of the setting and system.  It would be faster and be more thematic if you leveled up after gaining that number of "kill points", and gained points from a wizard kill equal to 1dL, L being their wizard level.  Your game seems better adapted to the slow pace (everyone starts as a wizard, level matters much less), but I can't resist mentioning this.

Silence isn't OP, in fact it's very neat, I'm interested to see how it will play out.

Additionally, I like the idea you suggested, if I understand it correctly. That killing a high level wizard is worth 1dL, makes sense to me. Now high-level wizards are worth killing!
I will add that to the rules.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4