Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On walls, and floors, and why floors aren't more like walls  (Read 3371 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So floors are awful, you can't build anything on them, which means they aren't really floors, they're more like walls that block everything from being in the same place, unless you happen to be a dwarf or a goblin chasing a dwarf, in which for the latter case they are all too much like floors and not at all enough like walls.  Walls on the other hand are more or less like floors, at least if you are on top of them, and otherwise they make perfectly good walls if you happen to be hiding behind one.  They just suck at being floors when it comes time to building the floor out of walls.  But then again, so do floors, for their own reasons, not least of which is trying to put more walls on top of the floor when the floor is done. 

So.  How do you guys build your multi-storey constructions?  Do you have living space every second floor, with no floors but solid walls making up the walls and the floors, or do you go the easy and more eye-pleasing route and build conventional floors, only to find you cant actually put anything on the floor to make your home seem a bit more cozy before the goblins dwarves burn it down? 

And why can't floors be more like walls when you need them to be actual floors? 

tl;dr: Allow the construction/placement of things on top of floors.  And for that matter, allow engravings on walls constructed out of blocks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:38:59 am by daggaz »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: On walls, and floors, and why floors aren't more like walls
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:45:26 am »

So floors are awful, you can't build anything on them, which means they aren't really floors, they're more like walls that block everything from being in the same place, unless you happen to be a dwarf or a goblin chasing a dwarf, in which for the latter case they are all too much like floors and not at all enough like walls.

Huh? I've build furniture on floors, and workshops. The only thing you can't build on floors is other constructions, and that's only because then 'remove construction' gets confused.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:13:17 pm »

So.  How do you guys build your multi-storey constructions?  Do you have living space every second floor, with no floors but solid walls making up the walls and the floors, or do you go the easy and more eye-pleasing route and build conventional floors, only to find you cant actually put anything on the floor to make your home seem a bit more cozy before the goblins dwarves burn it down?
So, if I want a 10z building, I build a 10z up/down stairs, then build a floor 11z in the air (this is the rain umbrella). Then, starting at 0z, build the other walls, then the inner walls, then go to 1z and make a floor over the entire area and use 'q' 'x' to remove all floor tiles where wall-tops exist. When that is done, do it again with a new set of outer walls and continue upward.

That said, I currently prefer subterranean bedrooms for the engravings and ease of production, with all workshops and meetings areas above ground.

If the goblins or undead arrive, get all the builders away from the unfinished areas so they are not seen.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:03:25 pm »

Just don't build floors on top of walls you'll be fine. You can build 4 adjacent floors around the top of a wall.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 04:42:42 am »

I just do it the hard way and remove the floor constructions where I want a wall to go.  I suppose better planning on my part could resolve the issue, but until then, it's not going to doom my forts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:05:38 pm »

You can place buildings and furniture on floors. You can only place one CONSTRUCTION per tile, that being walls/floors/stairs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:27:16 pm »

I pour a gigantic obsidian block and carve whatever I want in it.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 02:26:30 am »

I must have misremembered or got it backwards (once I triedputting floorgrates over statues and that failed.  Still, its such a hassle you can't put a construction on a floor. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 12:29:23 pm »

Smooth the spot instead. Then you can build constructions on that.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 02:18:15 pm »

I must have misremembered or got it backwards (once I triedputting floorgrates over statues and that failed.
Floor grates are buildings. Can't put a building on a building.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 04:40:33 am »

i wish it was that easy. don't you need to construct a casting form first?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 06:56:19 am »

i wish it was that easy. don't you need to construct a casting form first?
You do, as well as pump magma and water for the casting. Alternatively, you can use DFHack to just magically produce obsidian (the script is called something like "liquids").

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:36 pm »

the latter soudns liek cheating - the first involves building constructions, which we want to not do.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:00 pm »

The first is easily the most efficient way (with setup) to make large swaths of natural stone.

The second is 100% cheating and I got past it a long time ago. Hail DFHack.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 04:20:46 pm »

Sounds like a slippery slope toward the kill command on a dragon or werebeast to me. 
Pages: [1] 2