Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On walls, and floors, and why floors aren't more like walls  (Read 3338 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On walls, and floors, and why floors aren't more like walls
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 04:40:30 pm »

DF is a single player sandbox game, so the only person you can cheat is yourself (unless you're going to try to brag about your deeds). If the focus of a fortress is to decorate a huge obsidian cube, you might not want to go through the effort to create it using the normal means. Likewise, if your focus is a peaceful community living on the surface of a calm embark, you might not want to deal with the mess a dragon will cause.
However, it's easy to over use tools so that you cheat yourself out of the accomplishments of handling unanticipated challenges to the point that things get boring.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 04:52:35 pm »

DF is a single player sandbox game, so the only person you can cheat is yourself (unless you're going to try to brag about your deeds). If the focus of a fortress is to decorate a huge obsidian cube, you might not want to go through the effort to create it using the normal means. Likewise, if your focus is a peaceful community living on the surface of a calm embark, you might not want to deal with the mess a dragon will cause.
However, it's easy to over use tools so that you cheat yourself out of the accomplishments of handling unanticipated challenges to the point that things get boring.

Well said

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 05:20:07 pm »

I had that problem with savescumming. It was nice to keep a fortress running and focused on whatever project I had in mind... until I started using it for every little thing and the game lost all life for me. I don't savescum anymore, and I don't use DFHack either-- I don't trust myself to have fun (or Fun) with those tools.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »

I had that problem with savescumming. It was nice to keep a fortress running and focused on whatever project I had in mind... until I started using it for every little thing and the game lost all life for me. I don't savescum anymore, and I don't use DFHack either-- I don't trust myself to have fun (or Fun) with those tools.

It's the disastrous interruptions (player caused or not) that give the large projects their depth of character.  Otherwise it's not that different from concept art.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 10:30:39 pm »

the latter soudns liek cheating - the first involves building constructions, which we want to not do.
If you want to minimize construction you could always dig a big hole and fill it with obsidian instead.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 02:38:49 am »

the latter soudns liek cheating - the first involves building constructions, which we want to not do.
If you want to minimize construction you could always dig a big hole and fill it with obsidian instead.
doesnt help when building a tower.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 03:24:03 am »

You're not thinking outside the box.  If your tower is too short, clearly the surrounding landscape is too high.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 03:43:19 am »

You're not thinking outside the box.  If your tower is too short, clearly the surrounding landscape is too high.
but the embark site is a box.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 06:10:19 am »

Wonder how far you could get by making a central pump stack that runs hot and cold, and then just applying FLOOD THE WORLD tactics in alternating flavors. It'd take some patience.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 08:42:42 am »

You can't flood even the embark, as evaporation eventually results in a balance between the fluid pumped out and the one evaporating (well, I guess you could with a lot of pump stacks [and an FPS reported as 0]).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 06:50:48 pm »

The size of the embark would matter a lot, and the most difficult part would occur when you hit the "top of the sky" z, where the cold output from the pumps would no longer be able to flow freely over fresh obsidian to fall onto the hot output. That part would be excruciating.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 02:02:30 pm »

This thread isn't about how building constructions is lengthy and clunky (which is true), it's about how you can't build constructions on floors. That problem is thoroughly solved by obsidian casting. (And I think building a cast and digging it out takes less time than building normally, while giving you valuable stone and smoothable/carvable floors and walls at the same time.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 03:04:25 pm »

This thread isn't about how building constructions is lengthy and clunky (which is true), it's about how you can't build constructions on floors. That problem is thoroughly solved by obsidian casting. (And I think building a cast and digging it out takes less time than building normally, while giving you valuable stone and smoothable/carvable floors and walls at the same time.)
well, it also includes making a temporary fort before even casting.
including pumpstacks and magma, which is bound to be ‼FUN‼
Pages: 1 [2]