Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creatures and realism  (Read 2303 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creatures and realism
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:48:25 am »

Beak dog isn't rainbow, they are chameleon-like and change color. Chromatophores in skin help in hunt and social.

Trolls have not hemocyanin blood. They blood have alternate metalloprotein, probably mutate form of hemerythrin, like chrolocruorin is mutate form of hemoglobin. It give ability to live in caves with low oxygen and probably carbon monoxide. Or they have colorless blood protein. Blue color might be induced by other components of blood.

Roc must have gas bladder with helium or hidrogen. Or have a lot of magic for fly.

Harpies have feathers, but bat-like wings for they is more realistic.

Hydras not regeneate heads. But hydra can attack by other heads in moment when some dragonslayer rip of oe head and this mutate into myph.

Centaurs is human myph based on molemarian. Chimera and gryfon based on Clowns.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Creatures and realism
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:19:15 am »

What is the point of this thread? It currently sounds like you're trying to tell everyone to stop having fun.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 01:44:33 pm »

What is the point of this thread? It currently sounds like you're trying to tell everyone to stop having fun.
I give alternative type of fun - interesting theories.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 08:06:31 am »

These are actual improvements
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:52:28 am »

I give alternative type of fun - interesting theories.

Rocs containing a sac of possibly explosive gas certainly sounds fun to me.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:00:02 am »

You strike the Roc in the lower body with your steel short sword, tearing apart the gas bladder!
You ignite the dense fescue grass.
The Roc explodes!
You are caught in a burst of fire!
x4
You are caught in a burst of Roc boiling blood! x3
You are caught in a burst of fire! x5
You are melting!
You are melting!
You are melting!
I want this so much now
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:57:25 pm »

You strike the Roc in the lower body with your steel short sword, tearing apart the gas bladder!
The Roc explodes!
x4
You are melting!
You are melting!
You are melting!
I want this so much now

Seconded.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 03:27:04 pm »

(various semi-mundane explanations for fantastic creatures)

While this not the canonical setting for DF, and in my opinion is a bit limiting... remember that eventually, there will be (one or more) mostly mundane <> more magical worlds slider(s); and one of the challenging design questions is how to make interesting epic monsters at low magic settings. 

The 1979 book The Flight of Dragons (and to a lesser degree the movie, only partly based on the book) posited nearly-mundane dragons that operated with a biological hydrochloric acid  + calcium = hydrogen cycle, the hydrogen being used both as a lifting gas and as a breath weapon.  This explains the size, flight, fire breath, lack of remains, need to eat large animals more or less whole (for the bones in addition to the food value), and tendency of their treasure to be mostly gold. 

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:43 am »

The Roc explodes!
x4
You are melting!
You are melting!
You are melting!
I want this so much now

Seconded.
Thirded.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 05:47:29 pm »

While this not the canonical setting for DF, and in my opinion is a bit limiting... remember that eventually, there will be (one or more) mostly mundane <> more magical worlds slider(s); and one of the challenging design questions is how to make interesting epic monsters at low magic settings. 

The 1979 book The Flight of Dragons (and to a lesser degree the movie, only partly based on the book) posited nearly-mundane dragons that operated with a biological hydrochloric acid  + calcium = hydrogen cycle, the hydrogen being used both as a lifting gas and as a breath weapon.  This explains the size, flight, fire breath, lack of remains, need to eat large animals more or less whole (for the bones in addition to the food value), and tendency of their treasure to be mostly gold.
How does this explain the gold?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 02:30:55 am »

How does this explain the gold?
Possibly because gold isn't dissolved by hydrochloric acid?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 08:09:32 am »

Ok thanks

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 01:07:08 pm »

I thought beakdogs had multi colored dappled skin as a mate selection behaviour like a bird of paradise or to dazzle prey in low light or poor visibility in the fog ridden & dreary evil swamps by breaking it up, so they can't get spooked by the outline of the beak-dog but a wierd shape of rainbow colors approaches them until its too late.

This soldiers facepaint is disruptive even while using particularly bright pastel colorations, i think the goblins like the color variety anyway to not try and selectively breed it out for their husbandry.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 03:30:38 pm »

I thought beakdogs had multi colored dappled skin as a mate selection behaviour like a bird of paradise or to dazzle prey in low light or poor visibility in the fog ridden & dreary evil swamps by breaking it up, so they can't get spooked by the outline of the beak-dog but a wierd shape of rainbow colors approaches them until its too late.

This soldiers facepaint is disruptive even while using particularly bright pastel colorations, i think the goblins like the color variety anyway to not try and selectively breed it out for their husbandry.
I think there are some animals that have ridges on their bbodies to break up shadows too. This is interesting