Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods: Round 16: Battle against a Pumpkin  (Read 19288 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile

Heeeeeey, that's a Paranatural character!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Well, apparently this is where she went when she left that comic.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Nix is a spirit desiring to be a guardian of the weak, and helpless. Taking the form of a dog, the purest mutt you've ever seen, he seeks out those in need of aid, giving them protection from threats without, and support against the threats from within.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile

Zalathin is a spirit that desires to cause chaos and change. his form is that of a snake that changes colors based on it's mood, he seeks those who heart is uncertain of what they want and helps there inner desires to come forth.
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile

Nix is a spirit desiring to be a guardian of the weak, and helpless. Taking the form of a dog, the purest mutt you've ever seen, he seeks out those in need of aid, giving them protection from threats without, and support against the threats from within.
the goodest of boyes incarnate.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, apparently this is where she went when she left that comic.
I found Paranatural not long before this came back. This proved to be the only option morality permitted me to take.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll let turn 1 hit before I craft my Monster of the Broken Blade, Honor.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile

Quick player survey, with players and characters as currently known (may not be 100% accurate):
Failbird105: Eightfold
Glass: Fragment
NRDL: Nix
Smoke Mirrors: Quill
Rockeater: Badel
Maximum Spin: Shaa
Kamani: Arbus
notquitethere: Ars Obscurum
randomgenericusername: The Fool
darkwarlock3: Zalathin
WyrdByrd: The Spirit of the Sixth

Players currently waiting for things to happen before starting:
Dustan Hache: Akeraun
KitRougard: Monster of the Broken Blade, Honor

TricMagic, you voted on a location, but I’m not really sure if you intend to join or not.

This list is just something I went over quick, so don’t hold it as absolute or anything. I just wanted to see who all had joined and figured that it might help others.
Also, already over ten people. Hope that restricting it to one location helps, since it seems like this could end up being a lot.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Chapter 3: Forgotten History, Familiar Faces

Time passes quickly at the Great Academy of Chromatic Magic, the most prestigious mystic institution in the Kingdom of Iolaion and the cornerstone of the philosophy of the Six Schools.  Here, students from around the kingdom congregate, study, and grow from gifted children into true masters of the mystic arts.

But the students aren't the only ones whose magical abilities are growing stronger. As a strong nexus of magical energy, it is only natural that spirits are prone to manifesting spontaneously from the aether in this place, whether through overt spellcasting or the magically-charged hopes, dreams and fears of the school's inhabitants.  Some of these spirits become familiars, learning and growing alongside the human they have bonded with.  Others maintain an independent existence, haunting the halls, classrooms and facilities - though Headmaster Fintan has grown quite adept at putting down the more obnoxious ones.  The giant magical sword he likes to carry around isn't just for show.

The school year has been largely uneventful so far.  But soon, all that will change.  Rumor has it that a conflict is brewing on the kingdom's borders, and the Queen will likely be seeking talented mages to fight on the front lines.  The faculty and students await a visit from Iolaion's representatives.

A fourth-year student in a blue robe sits in the library's Restricted section, poring over a set of books open in front of him.  Some of the titles include *Famous Battles during the Conflict of the Light*, *Red Magic Traditions in the Far West*, *Seekers of Eternity: The Lost Art of Immortality*, and *Power through Sacrifice: Why the Black School Failed*.  As his eyes flit over the open texts, a small blue aura seems to flicker around his head.
"Find anything yet?" A girl in orange steps up behind him, jarring him out of his trance.
"Nothing.  Every time I think I've solved the puzzle, something else comes up that makes my theory impossible.  It's like the Dragon Lord doesn't follow the normal rules of magic.  Doesn't help that it's so hard to get any information on his past either."
"Isn't he supposed to be like a million years old?"
"Somewhere in the area of 500 years, at any rate.  This isn't the first time he's clashing with the Queen either.  Their armies have fought at least five times, and they have engaged in direct combat at least twice.  The Queen's power exceeds his, but it seems that every time he's killed, he just comes back a few decades later, and nobody understands how or why."
"What about the Queen?  You'd think another Seeker of Eternity would know more about it than anyone else."
The boy in the blue robes shakes his head.  "That's the most annoying part.  She says that *his* key to immortality must be different than hers, but how am I supposed to figure out the source of his immortality when half of the information on the subject of *immortality itself* is forbidden?"
"You'll figure it out, Brook."
"Well, I'll try, at any rate.  With half of the Blue Mages in the Academy trying to solve the puzzle, I'm sure one of us will come up with the answer."
Neither of them pay a great deal of attention to the girl who is currently being detained in a magic circle near the library's entrance.  The anti-theft ward had gone off a few minutes ago, but she denied any awareness of a theft.  Concerned, the librarian had sent another student to the Headmaster's office, to warn him that they had a possible "rider".

Spoiler: Shaa (click to show/hide)

The rider in question is the demon Shaa, who had up until recently been trapped in a book.  It is currently residing in the mind of Grenadine, the student who is now heading towards the Headmaster's office.  Sensing the urgency in the librarian's voice, she is hurrying quickly, pausing only for a moment to watch an argument between a second-year Yellow and a first-year still in his gray robes.

"You think this is funny?  You think this is a joke?"  The older student towers over the first-year, slowly walking towards him.  The boy backs up until his back is against the wall.  "You'd better watch yourself, Komori.  And you'd better be careful with who you decide to side with.  You think I don't know what this thing means?"  He jabs a finger at a small, midnight-blue pendant around the boy's neck.
"Back off, Zume.  It's none of your business."
"What are you going to do about it, Blue?  Read a book at me?"  He shoves the boy to the floor.  "Get rid of that thing.  If I see you wearing it around here again, I'll pound you into dust."

Grenadine considers doing something, but thinks better of it and keeps walking.  It looks as though there are some other people converging on the location anyway.  One of them is another first-year, Cole - she doesn't expect him to be able to stand up to a Yellow - but the students he's walking with are known for their street-smarts.  She recognizes Radish, a Magenta whose father owns a night club or something, Pyro, a strong if somewhat uncreative Red, and Hex, who is probably a Magenta judging by her nickname but she's not really sure.  They don't really follow the rules but they are a decent enough bunch.  She wonders momentarily what they are doing with a bookish student like Cole.

Spoiler: Quill (click to show/hide)

Not far away, she passes Esme Alora, a first-year from a Green family with a fox familiar, talking with Kevin.  It looks like she is teaching him how to manifest a familiar of his own.  A small eye briefly flickers into existence beside him.

Spoiler: Arbus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Badel (click to show/hide)

She smiles briefly and then is suddenly startled by a freaky puppet hanging in the air.  She gasps briefly.  "COREY!" she yells as a familiar snicker can be heard from nearby and the puppet dances away down the hall.  Honestly, that boy has been insufferable ever since he learned how to levitate objects.  An aspiring first-year Magenta, Amy Cruent, huffs as she passes down the hall towards the library.  She is carrying a load of arcane books, most of which appear to be far beyond first-year level.

Spoiler: The Fool (click to show/hide)

The Headmaster's office is not far.

All unmentioned players may insert themselves at any point using a basic ability.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Wedged in the stack of books that Amy Cruent holds, sits Ars Obscurum. It reaches its senses out to Examine the other books she's carrying: what does it look like she's trying to learn? What is she aspiring to with them?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Manifest, encourage Kevin to try and learn more.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:23:16 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile

I’ll use Speech and encourage both Esme and Kevin. I don’t know if I’d know anything about this kind of magic, but if I do, I’ll give advice too.
Speaking: still my main tactic.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((So, the only ability I have back from the first game is Unseen Movement?))

The Fool Pushes the large tower of books Amy Cruent is carrying, out of malice. Cause the stacked books to lose balance and fall to the ground. Isn't comedy just laughing at the tragedy of others? Her reaction will be priceless!

He then Examines the dropped arcane books, curious about their contents. He thinks that if simple kids like these can use magic, it probably won't be hard to learn a few flashy tricks if he really tries to.

((Use 3 mana in both cases.))
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:33:21 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

((So, the only ability I have back from the first game is Unseen Movement?))

It's the only one that doesn't fall under one of the basic abilities.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile

Oh, do we take one or two actions, then?
In addition, if we want to respond to someone else’s action in a way that doesn’t prevent it or modify it and just responds to the after-effects, should we do that the turn they take the action or the turn after? I feel like Arbus would try to help pick up the books using manifest (the odds of this actually succeeding are low, since Amy didn’t seem to like uncontrolled familiars and foxes have a distinct lack of hands, but Arbus would try anyways), but I also don’t really want to mess up The Fool’s action, and it might get messy if people can freely react to other’s actions. What would be the most appropriate way for me to handle that?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13