Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods: Round 16: Battle against a Pumpkin  (Read 19295 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

I ask if Shaa is alright, having just gotten trapped.
“Are you alright Shaa? Should I try to help?”
"Ah, this is fine, I'm fine.
Thank you for your concern, child. I am perhaps still ... rusty. Yet this is where I meant to be for the moment, and getting out is a matter for later.

Oh, would you care for some assistance with your own current predicament or do you feel you have the matter in hand? Well, in jaw?
"

While waiting for an answer, Shaa examines the (other) contents of Cruent's head, spending three blue mana to do so.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods: Round 11
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2019, 03:04:20 pm »

continue waiting for the boat to arrive so I can start playing without making a sub-char
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods: Round 12
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2019, 10:44:26 am »

Round 12

OOH a thing! Eightfold liked finding things. She had to know more about the thing. She quickly went to examine the new thing, first the title of its book, then the thing itself.

(three points into examine)

The title of the book is Famous Battres of the First Sentry ARR.
The thing in the book seems to be a...spirit entity, not entirely unlike yourself!  Though formless, you get the impression of a small, rotund creature, like a toad, but made out of words.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It passes through a page, which seems to consist of rather odd language.
though the magic of fire is contained with red and elbow, often considered an element of its onw is it.  But blue is of water though in clear is fact, however the essence of flexiblity is maintaned across all...
You watch it nibble on the words blue is of water, and excrete the words of batrewb is lue.
Examining the book closer, you notice that its pages range from normal writing, to somewhat incoherent, to complete gibberish.
It turns its attention to you.  "BEWARE THE MAN MADE OF HANDS" it croaks.  "HE DESIRES HER HEART WHILE SHE HAS NONE WITHIN HER"

Spoiler: Eightfold (click to show/hide)

3: Examine total history of student turned pumpkin, including the circles and object on the bed..

quick action, IndigoFenix, got power to use to fix her, and ambitions to implant.

There are two circles around the bed, both of them clearly employing runic magic.  You strain your mind, trying to remember your past...
You acquired a new ability: Analyze Runes!
The innermost circle seems to be very old, with many of its symbols worn away.  However someone has recently redrawn some of the missing symbols, and added a few of their own.  You recognize old signs related to communion, life, separation, torment, consumption and heart.  The new ones seem mainly related to dreams, history, and place, with a rather large rune combining the signs of obscurity and spirits.
The outer circle is entirely new.  You recognize signs related to transformation, discomfort, and protection.  The transformation rune is joined to a sign for a shell, as well as a personalized ritual rune that you don't recognize.
You examine the pumpkin, but it is a perfectly ordinary pumpkin, as far as you can tell.  This seems...odd.  You dimly recall experiencing many forms of transformation spells, but although you cannot remember specifics, you recall that they were typically more...visceral than this.  Some aspect of the original body is detectable within the transformed object, which does not seem to be the case here.  Either this is a transformation of a skill and perfection far beyond anything that should be possible, or the pumpkin is not actually the girl.  But if that's the case, then where is she?
You try to examine the object on the bed, but its form...eludes you.  You can sense mild warmth coming off of it, though, and a faint scent of...vegetables?
A small, glowing ball of white light floats into the room.  It pauses, then begins floating around the bed, as if confused.
You look around the room again.  There are sharp implements all over the walls.  Perhaps you can push one of them onto something, but what?

Spoiler: Ambitu Damnum Notitiam (click to show/hide)

Wow, that escalated quickly.
Oof, poor book. I want to try to get that book free and return it to Amy while avoiding damaging it (or Corey, for that matter). Preferably before I run into a teacher and end up in trouble. Also, Soul Bond Esme.
Also, free action to apologize to The Fool. Arbus may be rather worried about The Fool’s actions, but they don’t think fire is a good response.
“Sorry about that! I didn’t think she would try to attack you.”
"Keh heh he heh! It's hurts! Oh, how it hurts! But this suffering is nothing compared to this feeling of absolute bliss! I can feel the red power flowing though my body, all because you warned them! Because YOU made them believe I was something they should be afaird of! Keh heh heh heh! Oh, you poor, gullible thing! Did you never think of the possibility that I could have been bluffing? Keh heh heh heh! Have you not learned yet that our power comes from belief?"

"What, you feel sorry for giving me free publicity? Keh heh heh heh! If you're so regretful, then let the book be free! Do you really think they would be in better hands with that witch?"

Meanwhile, The Fool takes this opportunity to continue Examining (3) the book of Hexes, trying to memorize as much information as possible.

The Fool examine the book of hexes. It mainly consists of verbal spells, each of which has a very specific effect connected to a particular magic word.
Unfortunately, since you can't speak verbally in your current state, you won't be able to use any of them on your own. But it can't hurt to know a few, right?
Viscosius causes things to stick together.
Oculobscurum creates momentary partial blindness.
You manage to read the word Tentaculigo before the book is ripped away by an unseen force!

"Ah, this is fine, I'm fine.
Thank you for your concern, child. I am perhaps still ... rusty. Yet this is where I meant to be for the moment, and getting out is a matter for later.

Oh, would you care for some assistance with your own current predicament or do you feel you have the matter in hand? Well, in jaw?
"

While waiting for an answer, Shaa examines the (other) contents of Cruent's head, spending three blue mana to do so.

You peer into the murky depths of Amy Cruent's mind...
She was headed to the library to return some books before Corey snatched them.
There are a truly impressive set of spells in here, a collection that even a grown mage would be proud of. But what she gains in knowledge and skill, she loses in experience. Many of the spells are either verbal or ritual in nature, and none are her own original design. While this does allow her to benefit from the belief that each spell has accumulated since its creation, it leaves her with a certain lack of flexibility in terms of how each one is used - which she tries to make up for by collecting a whole lot of them, enough to suit any situation she has imagined.
Her arrogance, however, leaves her some notable open spots. For instance, she has many spells designed for defending against demons - but no real preparation for one that got through them.
As for motivation...it seems that, not unlike many Magentas, she has a strong urge to acquire power and control over her environment, which seems to be covering up a deeply buried lack of self-esteem.  Perhaps that's why she relies so heavily on other people's spells rather than crafting her own?

Demitra is a spectral spirit that manifested very recently, and so has no associations yet

Demitra pushes the fire on The Fool's arm with a small gust of air so that some of it flickers out. Then Demitra suggests that Amy should stop attacking The Fool. "Just because something is here doesn't mean you should attack them. What did this puppet even do besides merely show up here?"
Stop manifest
Scout ahead of the runners and pay attention to the Danger sense, suggest (3) Corey to stop if I sense something, and warn anyone I can in free action.

Amy takes a deep breath. This puppet is just a distraction! "Lubricus rapiovello!" she shouts, pointing her wand at Corey!
Alerted to possible danger, the boy spins around and blocks the incoming spell with the hex book, which suddenly grows slippery and dislodges itself from Corey and Arbus' grip! It flies through the air toward Amy, who catches it.
The boy still has the book on wandmaking.

Spoiler: The Fool (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arbus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Badel (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shaa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Demitra (click to show/hide)

Nix once again suggests to Zume, sensing the potential for improvement from him. The suggestion in question, being to make peace with Komori.
Radish, Cole, Hex and Pyro step forward. Professor Sun's appearance threw them off for a moment, but they are ready to step in again if things go south.
Zume and Komori stare at each other for a few seconds. Suddenly Zume throws a punch with superhuman speed, stopping it an inch away from Komori's nose, the shockwave blowing his hair back.  Radish starts to move, but Komori doesn't flinch.

I Examine Komori to find out a bit more about their problem
Komori's breathing seems perfectly steady. Too steady. Not many people would be this at-ease when confronting a Yellow mage a full head taller than themselves.
His soul Chroma is mainly blue. Perhaps he is calm because he knows that Zume isn't going to attack him?

"I don't want any trouble," Komori says.
"Damn right you don't."
"Why are you doing this? I didn't do anything to you."
"You..."  Zume starts to say something, then reconsiders.  He sighs, letting his fist fall to his side. "I...have to get to class." He turns around and walks off.
Komori stares after him.  "What's his problem, anyway?" Hex says, breaking the silence.  Pyro shrugs.
"So what's next with you, Cole?" Radish says. "Going to class, I bet?"
"Yeah," Cole says, still looking at Komori.  "I've got Intro Transformations with Aubergine."
Radish laughs nervously.  "Oh, you'd better get a move on, then.  You don't want to be late for her classes."
Cole nods.  He still has a few minutes to spare, though.

Spoiler: Nix (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zalathin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Quill (click to show/hide)

Hm. Anger was not a cornerstone of Honor. Ardera, however, was finer suited.
Launch two Suggestions, one at Torm to give The Broken Blade to a student who will soon arrive, named Ardera, and the other at Ardera herself to visit the Forges, see what new wonders the Reds have crafted.
Torm turns to look at the small grayrobe girl who wandered into the forge.  "Eh?" he says.  "What are you doing here?  You look a bit...undersized to be working the forges.  Heh." He chuckles, bringing his hammer down onto the longsword he's busy making. Red sparks scatter across the ground. "You aren't lost, are you?"
"Actually," the girl says, "I'm doing a report on Relics, but I'm still having a hard time getting my head around the concept.  Professor Charn told me to ask one of the smiths."
Torm grins and strikes the red-hot metal again.  "Relics, eh? Yeah, I'd bet I could help you a bit with 'em. What have you learned already?"
"Well, I know that they are items that are magically empowered," she says, "and I know they tend to grow stronger as they are used, and that they are all a bit different. I guess my big question is, well, why they aren't more common. I mean, some Relics are made by accident, so it can't take much time to make them..." She pauses for a moment.  "Also, I don't get why so many of them are made by Red mages.  I mean, technology is usually Blue domain stuff, right?"
Torm shakes his head and chuckles.  "No wonder you're confused," he says.  "What did Professor Charn teach you about Red Magic? On his first class."
"He said it's powered by determination."
"He does like saying that, doesn't he? But think a bit more general."
"Uh...something about coming from the heart?"
"Bingo." Torn grins and strikes the sword again.  Sparks fly across the room, spinning in circles.  "The truth is that Relics aren't exactly an either-or thing.  Every object crafted by human hands has what you'd call a 'Relic Quality', which stems from the...intent that went into making it."  He removes the red-hot sword from the anvil, plunging it into a bucket of water.  "A sweatshop can pump out hundreds of products a day, but the trouble is that the more you make, the less...important each new product is to the maker.  Unless the builder finds a way to keep being inspired, the Relic quality tends to drop off, so mass-producing strong Relics is pretty much impossible. And don't even get me started on golemforges."
"What's wrong with golemforges?"
Torm looks over his shoulder at the girl.  "Oh, hey, I recognize you.  You're the DeLimon kid, right?" He laughs. "No wonder you're interested in Relics. Your father was one of the pioneers in the automobile industry. Had some interesting ideas for improving the Relic value of cars by using defective production equipment. My family owned a Lemon once - she could go up to sixty on a good day. Eventually someone insulted her, and well..."
"Yeah. He told me there wouldn't be much of a market for magic cars unless we could figure out a way to make them safe."
"Can't be done. Magic is intrinsically unpredictable, and strong Relics tend to adopt a unique...personality over time. Best you can do is make them friendly and hope they stay that way." He pulls the sword out and holds it up to the light, a mildly disappointed look on his face. He sets the sword aside. "It's that way with pretty much everything these days. People are getting used to the reliability of new production technology but they still want their magic. I can bind enchantments to surface level designs but they'll never be a hundredth as powerful as an artifact that was created from the bottom-up with a new technique and strong intent, like this one."
Torm pulls the Broken Blade from its place on the wall, handing it to Ardera. "You can feel it, right? Try swinging it around a bit."
Ardera throws a few mock thrusts with the sword. "I guess so? Feels...more balanced than it should. I can't really describe it."
"It looks natural for you. Have you ever used a sword before?"
"I took fencing lessons."
Torm shrugs. "Hm. You know what, keep it. It seems to have taken a liking to you. Besides, the Queen won't take a 'defective' weapon and I can't sell it, so you might as well have it."

Spirit Evolution:
You may sacrifice Destined in exchange for one of the four following abilities:
Power Surge (3): Your body glows briefly, greatly increasing your attack power. May be combined with a Suggestion to attack.
Soul Bond (5): You spiritually empower a believer, enhancing their senses and physical abilities.
Scout (3): You may send out an astral form and fly around freely, observing things beyond your physical form.
Possess Arm (3)(3): When activated, you can control the arm and hand of your wielder directly, attacking or blocking with extreme levels of skill, or pulling them in the direction you want them to move.  Lasts several turns.

Spoiler: Honor (click to show/hide)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2019, 10:53:37 am »

Get to class, better safe than sorry.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2019, 11:05:04 am »

I’m just going to return to Esme, cancel my manifest, and encourage Esme to go to class using Speech before this gets too out of hand. I’d rather avoid trouble, and I’m almost out of mana to manifest with.
Free action speaking to Shaa.
“No need to worry about it. I think they’ve got it handled, and you seem like you have enough on your plate.”
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2019, 11:08:30 am »

Demitra examines the room she manifested in and examines Corey
Free action: Speak to any spirits in the roon: "I must have missed something, why are the two humans fighting?"

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:50 am »

Free action to speak to Demitra. “Corey tried to take some of Amy’s books and she attacked The Fool, who told him to, and took the books back. Thankfully it seems like The Fool should be okay, and hopefully this won’t escalate farther...”
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2019, 11:34:57 am »

"Thanks, I was worried. What's your name?"

(Do I have a name, or am I just using one until I officially get one?)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:27 am »

“Oh, I’m Arbus. It’s nice to meet you. What’s your name?”

Everyone picks their own names (except me, because I am the absolute worst at names, and just asked for help).

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2019, 11:51:06 am »

There are two circles around the bed, both of them clearly employing runic magic.  You strain your mind, trying to remember your past...
You acquired a new ability: Analyze Runes!
The innermost circle seems to be very old, with many of its symbols worn away.  However someone has recently redrawn some of the missing symbols, and added a few of their own.  You recognize old signs related to communion, life, separation, torment, consumption and heart.  The new ones seem mainly related to dreams, history, and place, with a rather large rune combining the signs of obscurity and spirits.
The outer circle is entirely new.  You recognize signs related to transformation, discomfort, and protection.  The transformation rune is joined to a sign for a shell, as well as a personalized ritual rune that you don't recognize.
You examine the pumpkin, but it is a perfectly ordinary pumpkin, as far as you can tell.  This seems...odd.  You dimly recall experiencing many forms Time to change ittransformation spells, but although you cannot remember specifics, you recall that they were typically more...visceral than this.  Some aspect of the original body is detectable within the transformed object, which does not seem to be the case here.  Either this is a transformation of a skill and perfection far beyond anything that should be possible, or the pumpkin is not actually the girl.  But if that's the case, then where is she?
You try to examine the object on the bed, but its form...eludes you.  You can sense mild warmth coming off of it, though, and a faint scent of...vegetables?
A small, glowing ball of white light floats into the room.  It pauses, then begins floating around the bed, as if confused.
You look around the room again.  There are sharp implements all over the walls.  Perhaps you can push one of them onto something, but what?

Ambitu Damnum Notitiam

The Older Symbols are the properly drawn runes, they activated, while the new ones were ?burned away before..

Therefore, it would lead to a separation of the spirit. Then that spirit over there is the one who used it, and drew the new ones. It seems rather weak in it's sight.

So the outer circle means to protect the body, that is a shell. To transform to something new, a vessel. But I'm disrupting it, and so the effect changed. The Personal Rune was meant to incorporate into the ritual, but I overwrite it. So a random effect of transformation, with the girl's soul trapped in a shell, displaced to another plane connected to the pumpkin's location. A sub-dimension?

Regardless, this ritual is still active, and I can use it.

Ritual has been identified. Time to change it up a bit.

2 Green: Tempt closer the Spirit. Come into the Circle.

Once it has entered,

3 Red: Action- Carve Runes, Runic Circle Modification, Third Circle.

Third Circle: Rune for Cut, link to Shell. Rune for End, tie to the First Circle. Rune for Power, Rune for Empowerment, New Beginning, Consumption of the Old to fuel the New: These Runic Patterns, tie to their Personalized Rune in Second Circle. Final Runes, Ambition, Suffering, Knowledge, into my Personal Rune. Tie First Circle to Third circle, complete the Energy Chain. Tie their Personalized Rune to Mine, link through the others for a Separate Circle, the Gate surrounding my Personal Runes, through the rest of the Third Circle. Modify the Second Circle through Shell, Cut through the Second Circle, Release the Vessel. Link the Vessel to my Personal Rune, Freedom of Self Rune used to represent Her, the Vessel. Contract Rune used as the Connector, run through Third Circle into the Gate.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2019, 01:26:32 pm »

Push Zume right in the eye cause he's being a dick. Then Examine his mind to understand why he's pulling this shit.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2019, 01:28:28 pm »

“Oh, I’m Arbus. It’s nice to meet you. What’s your name?”

Everyone picks their own names (except me, because I am the absolute worst at names, and just asked for help).
"Hello, Arbus, my name is Demitra"

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2019, 02:02:23 pm »

“Nice to meet you Demitra! What brings you here?”

Longer term note: Arbus, having seen Amy’s book on transfiguration, would like to learn more about it. They’d like to attempt to learn about transformation magic, so next time there isn’t too much going on, they will ask Esme (using Speech) to check out a book for them. Seeing as the teachers who teach the relevant classes seemed to like Esme (she was able to sit in on some classes from Professor Basil back in Round 8 ) she might be able to check out a book slightly higher level than normal.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2019, 02:07:07 pm »

"I'm not sure. The first thing I remember is that someone set a puppet on fire, and I wanted to put the fire out. Do you have any idea where I am? I'm gonna try and learn more about the room I'm in"

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2019, 02:13:53 pm »

“This is the Great Academy of Chromatic Magic, in Ioladin. It’s a school for mages like Esme, who I’m the familiar of. It’s a nice place, although I’ve heard if you try to cause problems, Headmaster Fintan will be angry. If you want to learn about magic, this is the place!”
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13