Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [47.04] Dog Breeds v5.0  (Read 32808 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[47.04] Dog Breeds v5.0
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:26:42 pm »

Download: [47.04] Dog Breeds v5.0
Download: [44.12] Dog Breeds - Weredogs v1.0

This mod adds 51 dog breeds (and their 51 giant variants) to the game:

• Afghan Hound
  • Akita
  • Basset Hound
  • Beagle
  • Bloodhound
  • Boxer
  • Bulldog
  • Cane Corso
  • Caucasian Shepherd
  • Chihuahua
  • Chow Chow
  • Collie
  • Coonhound
  • Corgi
  • Cur
  • Dachshund
  • Dalmatian
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Foxhound
  • Flemish Cattledog
  • Hairless Dog
  • Great Dane
  • Great Pyrenees
  • Greyhound
  • Husky
  • Komondor
  • Labrador
  • Maltese
  • Mastiff
  • Papillion
  • Pekingese
  • Pinscher
  • Pitbull
  • Pointer
  • Pomeranian
  • Poodle
  • Pug
  • Retriever
  • Rottweiler
  • Saint Bernard
  • Saluki
  • Schnauzer
  • Setter
  • Shar-Pei
  • Sheepdog
  • Shepherd
  • Shibu Inu
  • Shih Tzu
  • Spaniel
  • Terrier
  • Wolfhound

This mod removes the generic “dog” found in raw/objects/creature_domestic.txt.

Each breed has a unique description, color, size, value, max age, litter size, natural skills, attack statistics, sounds (e.g. bark, growl, bay, howl, etc.), personality traits, prefstrings, custom interactions (e.g. tail wag, lick, scratch itch, etc.), shearablity, hair insulation and giant variants.

The breeds are grouped into five temperament categories: family dogs, aggressive dogs, hound dogs, function dogs and small dogs. These groups determine the dog’s sounds, interactions, prefstrings and personality traits.

The breeds can also loosely be grouped into four occupational categories: hunting, protection, working and toy. Generally, breeds in the protection category are better in combat than the hunting and working groups (even if they are smaller in size). Hunting dogs are generally better at observation/detection and swimming. And, working dogs are generally a middle ground between the two other groups. The goal is to be able to find value in all breeds with no “overall best” option for every situation.

Note that not all dogs are able to swim. Some dogs’ (brachycephalic) short snouts are hard to keep above water, other dogs have short legs that make it hard to paddle and some dogs have large heads, dense bones and broad chests that make it hard to stay afloat.

(optional dfhack): removes all meat, organs, leather, clothing, bone items, blood and parchment of all dog breeds from civilizations including embark resources, migrant clothing, invader armor, trade caravans and settlements (using Roses entity resource-change dfhack scripts) due to cultural and social aversion. These items can still be produced and used by a player, but other settlements and civilizations will not produce or use them.

This mod utilizes the following eight custom creature classes to assign specific breeds to specific civilizations. These can be manipulated in the creature and entity raws (by adding and removing brackets) to change which civilizations are assigned which dog breeds. The default setting is dwarves are assigned A class dog breeds and humans are assigned all others (A - G).

A = Bloodhound, Coonhound, Foxhound, Basset Hound, Beagle, Dachshund, Boxer, Bulldog, Pitbull, Saint Bernard, Mastiff, Sheepdog, Collie, Corgi, Pug
B = Labrador, Retriever, Setter, Pointer, Spaniel, Terrier, Rottweiler , Pinscher, Shepherd, Great Dane, Flemish Cattledog, Cur, Greyhound, Schnauzer
C = Poodle, Dalmatian , Pomeranian, Papillion
D = Shibu Inu, Akita, Shar-Pei, Chow Chow, Shih Tzu, Pekingese, Maltese
E = Dogo Argentino, Hairless Dog, Chihuahua
F = Wolfhound, Caucasian Shepherd, Komondor, Great Pyrenees, Husky
G = Afghan Hound, Saluki, Cane Corso
H = N/A

I encourage any feedback, concerns or recommendations.

This mod is completely compatible with [47.04] Fishing Expanded. Install this mod first.

Changelog

Spoiler: Changelog v2.0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v2.1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v3.0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v3.1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v4.0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v5.0 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:42:20 am by brolol.404 »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dog Breeds v1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:44:33 am »

Like I said in the other thread, I'm really impressed at the amount of effort that went into these. You really went the extra mile wherever possible to get these dogs perfect. Thanks for doing that!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:56:02 pm »

I made the release of the tileset with the dogs and linked back to here. :) Thanks again for the diligent and over-the-top work on the dogs. If you decide to add any more, let me know.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 02:07:11 pm »

@Enemy thanks :) Let me know if there are any bugs or if you have any feedback/suggestions

@Meph awesome thanks. Will do :)

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:53:16 pm »

Utterly fantastic work!
The level of detail is frankly ludicrous!
I do have a bit of a request though, could you add Irish Wolfhounds?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 07:05:10 pm »

Utterly fantastic work!
The level of detail is frankly ludicrous!
I do have a bit of a request though, could you add Irish Wolfhounds?

I agree with the statement above, this seems like a very interesting mod.
However, I'd like to see the Cane Corso somehow make an appearance, if possible

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:07:17 am »

@Wyrdean & Asin: thanks :) I will add Wolfhounds and Cane Corso

@DerMeister: dogs are an important part of a lot of people's lives so specific modern breeds create a great deal of emotional connection to the game. And, there is a lot of fantasy literature that includes modern breeds, so the addition isnt too farfetched if you are looking for immersion. I have considered doing breeds for other animals like cats but I am not sure if there is enough of a difference between them to warrant new creatures in game. I am also considering doing chicken breeds because I like chickens lol and/or other farm animals

I haven't used it, but if you are looking for more animal breeds, this mod may do that: Animal Diversification

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 04:00:33 pm »

(removed derail)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 04:03:03 pm »

Add old breeds, remove modern breeds.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 04:31:00 pm »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 08:51:15 am »

I am re-working all of the combat statistics to better balance the breeds between size, skills and damage. I have also added the Wolfhound and Cane Corso to the list. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the breed stats.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 05:04:02 pm »

Fighting wise, how would the average aggressive breed (Not Trained) fare against a vanilla war trained dog?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 06:43:11 pm »

Well, the vanilla dog is 30kg with 100% penetration and a 3 tick recovery. This is better than most of the non fighting dogs in this mod (Labrador is 30kg with 90% penetration and a 3 tick recovery).

An average fighting dog (Akita) however is 45kg with a 200% penetration, 3 tick recovery and has natural fighting skills. This is much better than the vanilla dog and is more comparable to a wolf. I am not sure of how much stronger war training makes an animal, but this can be tested using the object testing arena on the main menu. Its quick to set up a dog match there.

With that said, non of these dogs are armored nor have weapons so they arnt meant to replace a military squad and wont do well against an armored opponent.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:19 am »

I have a day off due to bad weather, so... wolfhound and cane corso added at the bottom.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 11:14:47 am »

Awesome looks great :) I am thinking of adding Basset Hounds and Papillons to the next release as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9