Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: [47.04] Dog Breeds v5.0  (Read 32811 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dog Breeds v1.0
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 05:42:32 am »

A PTW and to say it's a shame I've already genned a world for a Darkest Dungeon story fort using v1. Brought a couple Akitas as attack dogs and a Bloodhound for a watch dog. And a poodle for someone who liked poodles.

Could also just call that one frog-sounding dog a Flemish Cattledog. Not a 1-1, but it's a good enough translation.

It's a constant struggle for me between starting a new world and adding more dogs :P let me know if you have any feedback with your playthrough

And that's a good idea. I'll add the Flemish Cattledog (Bouvier des Flandres) and Hairless Dog (Xoloitzcuintli).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 05:45:27 am »

To be honest I'm a bit surprised by the Asian dog breeds, considering that df is Western fantasy with traditional medieval pets. The civs with access to scimitars and face veils and other "foreign" tech are not the dwarves, but uncommon items among human or elf civs.

Maybe it's just how the names sound though... I thought the same about the Cane Corso (hound of corsica) because it's so clearly italian, and not English/dwarvish.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 06:38:21 am »

To be honest I'm a bit surprised by the Asian dog breeds, considering that df is Western fantasy with traditional medieval pets. The civs with access to scimitars and face veils and other "foreign" tech are not the dwarves, but uncommon items among human or elf civs.

Maybe it's just how the names sound though... I thought the same about the Cane Corso (hound of corsica) because it's so clearly italian, and not English/dwarvish.

I could separate out the oriental breeds into their own creature txt file (and maybe another for other non English breeds) to allow players a little more options. What do you recommend?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:44 am »

Question for the community:

Should I remove the scratch attack from the breeds? It is a secondary attack, but does it make sense for a dog to ever really scratch? It seems odd for a dog to be able to "scratch" something to death.

Edit: another potential option is to set the penetration % really low but then dogs may waste their attacks on worthless scratches rather than actually biting and latching onto something
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:48:36 am by brolol.404 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 10:12:00 am »

I'd say flip a coin personally. The bite's be more useful, but having the option wouldn't hurt. I may end up waiting for this to use in the fort due to issues with invaders anyway.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 11:28:03 am »

I'd keep the scratching as a secondary attack. That means a dog isn't harmless after someone punches it in the teeth.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 03:22:51 pm »

I'd keep the scratching as a secondary attack. That means a dog isn't harmless after someone punches it in the teeth.

Do creatures need teeth to bite?
Or just a mouth?

Granted, it'd be pretty harmless anyways if its teeth were missing.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 03:24:48 pm »

Technically, they can bite with anything. However, most creatures bites originate from the teeth. This makes the bites more damaging, since teeth are harder than muscle or other fleshy parts.

Cave spiders do bite directly with their mouths, however.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dog Breeds v2.0
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »

v2.0 is up :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 11:42:55 am »

Might wanna check your error log just in case. Mine's throwing a bunch of stuff (inconsequential stuff, but still stuff.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 12:20:04 pm »

Might wanna check your error log just in case. Mine's throwing a bunch of stuff (inconsequential stuff, but still stuff.)

Thanks. I havent had a chance to test it out yet. I didnt mess with the variations in this version so I'm suprised to see that. I will take a look.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 04:01:08 pm »

all errors have been fixed and uploaded as v2.1

thanks Splint for finding them :)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dog Breeds v2.1
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 10:07:43 pm »

I am thinking about customizing the [HOMEOTHERM] values (internal body temperature) for each breed to make some breeds (husky) more suitable to cold environments and other breeds (chihuahua) more suitable for hot environments. What are your guys thoughts? Do you think that this will even make much of a difference? How high/low should these values go? Or should they be left alone?

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 12:41:23 pm »

I am thinking about customizing the [HOMEOTHERM] values (internal body temperature) for each breed to make some breeds (husky) more suitable to cold environments and other breeds (chihuahua) more suitable for hot environments. What are your guys thoughts? Do you think that this will even make much of a difference? How high/low should these values go? Or should they be left alone?

It shouldn't make a huge difference, if any, but that doesn't mean that you can't do it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 05:05:31 pm »

Basset Hound
Papillion
Shar-Pei
Chow Chow
Pomeranian

For the Shiba Inu I'd just use the Akita...

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9