Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: [47.04] Dog Breeds v5.0  (Read 32821 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dog Breeds v2.1
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 05:40:21 pm »

Those look awesome! Great job man :)

If you wanted to have a different sprite for each dog, you could change the color of the akita:

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 11:00:23 am »

The progenitor of the Saint Bernard, and possibly also of the English Mastiff and Newfoundland in no small part; whose genes are found in the "giant" mastiff breeds of today... I present to you the big daddy of big dogs, the extinct Alpine Mastiff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quite possibly the largest breed of domestic dog to have ever lived, these enormous canines showed up about 2500 years ago in the Alps. Their exact origin is a mystery, but it is clear that the Alpine Mastiff descended from the Molossian hound (the ancestor of all mastiffs) and northern European mountain dogs.  The Molossian hound (a.k.a. the Molossus) was likely brought to the Alps by either the Romans, or as war dogs by the Carthaginians (when Hannibal crossed the Alps to attack Rome).

Whatever the exact way this breed came about, the result was an enormous animal. The last of the Alpine Mastiffs disappeared in the 1800's, having been crossbred to extinction to form the more diversified large mastiff breeds we know today.  But the records of Alpine Mastiffs before their extinction put them at 150 to 160 kg (330 to 350 lbs) and standing 1 meter (3.25 feet) tall at the shoulder!

If ever there was a candidate for a dwarven riding dog (a dwarven dog mount), this might be it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:55:11 pm by Wannabehero »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 06:59:07 pm »

The progenitor of the Saint Bernard, and possibly also of the English Mastiff and Newfoundland in no small part; whose genes are found in the "giant" mastiff breeds of today... I present to you the big daddy of big dogs, the extinct Alpine Mastiff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quite possibly the largest breed of domestic dog to have ever lived, these enormous canines showed up about 2500 years ago in the Alps. Their exact origin is a mystery, but it is clear that the Alpine Mastiff descended from the Molossian hound (the ancestor of all mastiffs) and northern European mountain dogs.  The Molossian hound (a.k.a. the Molossus) was likely brought to the Alps by either the Romans, or as war dogs by the Carthaginians (when Hannibal crossed the Alps to attack Rome).

Whatever the exact way this breed came about, the result was an enormous animal. The last of the Alpine Mastiffs disappeared in the 1800's, having been crossbred to extinction to form the more diversified large mastiff breeds we know today.  But the records of Alpine Mastiffs before their extinction put them at 150 to 160 kg (330 to 350 lbs) and standing 1 meter (3.25 feet) tall at the shoulder!

If ever there was a candidate for a dwarven riding dog (a dwarven dog mount), this might be it.

This is pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that if I give a creature mount, humans can ride in on them too though

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:00 pm »

This is pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that if I give a creature mount, humans can ride in on them too though

You can control entity usage so only dwarves have them as a mount by using ANIMAL tags in the entity RAW.

The following (or something similar) would only give dwarves access to riding them:

Code: [Select]
[ANIMAL]
  [ANIMAL_TOKEN:ALPINE_MASTIFF]
    [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT]

If you left MOUNT out of the creature RAW, the above tags added to the MOUNTAIN entity would make it so dwarves could use them as mounts, and only dwarves.   :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2019, 05:30:44 am »

Why not let the poor kobolds ride them into battle? They are much smaller. 😉
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2019, 09:13:01 am »

I actually dont want to mod any of the vanilla files to make this mod as compatible as possible (same reason I left the vanilla "dog" alone), but I could add that text to the description and let players paste it where they want.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2019, 06:45:58 pm »

No, you are right, that makes sense.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2019, 07:06:40 pm »

You don't actually need to mod vanilla files to get kobolds with dogs. Just give the dogs the "POISONOUS" creature class and leave off MAMMAL. The dogs will still be nonvenomous mammals, but the kobolds will think they are appropriate pets.

They won't be mounts, though.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:21:56 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2019, 08:08:30 pm »

You don't actually need to mod vanilla files to get kobolds with dogs. Just give the dogs the "POISONOUS" creature class and leave off MAMMAL. The dogs will still be nonvenomous mammals, but the kobolds will think they are appropriate pets.

What dogs should be given to the kobolds?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 09:12:15 pm »

I don't know, I just mentioned the method because Meph and Wannabeahero were talking about the concept.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2019, 07:54:26 am »

Hmm. You have a few options, you can either assign an existing breed to the kobolds or you can create a new fantasy breed of dog which was bred for their specific purposes.

I'm not sure which of the existing breeds is best for them, but if you were to go with the latter choice, I suggest a protective, long-furred, massive dog with poisonous saliva.
They would be rare and expensive, however, to counteract their size and many uses.
They would be a decent source of poison for the kobold's weapons, and their protective nature would give the fragile kobolds something more to fight with.

If you want you could go a bit farther and really make the removal of the mammal tag worth it, by giving them green scaly hides, flashing yellow eyes, and other traits better suited to a reptile.
Quite similar to a Komodo dragon in that respect.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:00:03 am by Wyrdean »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2019, 08:20:06 am »

Hmm. You have a few options, you can either assign an existing breed to the kobolds or you can create a new fantasy breed of dog which was bred for their specific purposes.

I'm not sure which of the existing breeds is best for them, but if you were to go with the latter choice, I suggest a protective, long-furred, massive dog with poisonous saliva.
They would be rare and expensive, however, to counteract their size and many uses.
They would be a decent source of poison for the kobold's weapons, and their protective nature would give the fragile kobolds something more to fight with.

If you want you could go a bit farther and really make the removal of the mammal tag worth it, by giving them green scaly hides, flashing yellow eyes, and other traits better suited to a reptile.

This is a cool idea. I could create separate files with fantasy dogs for the races. And include the link in this thread (as a modular package).

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations for the creatures and associated races?

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2019, 10:10:12 am »

This is a cool idea. I could create separate files with fantasy dogs for the races. And include the link in this thread (as a modular package).

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations for the creatures and associated races?

In case you are interested, I wrote an "installer" script in python for the most recent version of Deeper Dwarven Domestication. This script will run a Find-and-Replace function on whatever RAW files you want, and cut and paste tags without overwriting the file.  Makes it so you are much more compatible to other mods and modded RAW's.  If the installer doesn't find the right tokens, it returns an error and doesn't effect the file.

You could change the script to add dog related ANIMAL usage tags to entities in entity_default without overwriting the file, if you wanted.  Running this script would be completely optional to the player, but would be easier than modding in tags themselves.

I'd be happy to help out if you would like.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »

In case you are interested, I wrote an "installer" script in python for the most recent version of Deeper Dwarven Domestication. This script will run a Find-and-Replace function on whatever RAW files you want, and cut and paste tags without overwriting the file.  Makes it so you are much more compatible to other mods and modded RAW's.  If the installer doesn't find the right tokens, it returns an error and doesn't effect the file.

You could change the script to add dog related ANIMAL usage tags to entities in entity_default without overwriting the file, if you wanted.  Running this script would be completely optional to the player, but would be easier than modding in tags themselves.

I'd be happy to help out if you would like.

That is really cool. I would add the following code to entity_default:

[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:MOUNTAIN]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

[ENTITY:FOREST]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:FOREST]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

[ENTITY:PLAINS]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:PLAINS]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

[ENTITY:EVIL]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:EVIL]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

[ENTITY:SKULKING]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:SKULKING]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

[ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

That way I could add the following creature classes to any creature in any of my mods without messing with the vanilla entity file:

[CREATURE_CLASS:MOUNTAIN]
[CREATURE_CLASS:FOREST]
[CREATURE_CLASS:PLAINS]
[CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL]
[CREATURE_CLASS:SKULKING]
[CREATURE_CLASS:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]
I don't know anything about python though and wouldn't know where to start.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2019, 07:16:59 pm »

Here you go:

DFFD Link to the ENTITY INSTALLER

The installer will add all the tags you specified to the various Entities.  I added some markings that will show where the installer added the tags.

The executable has a check function built in that *should* prevent it from causing errors if it is run multiple times.  It checks to see if the new tags are already present, and if they are, will not add them again.

The file search function was built assuming the installer is located in the 'raw' folder, the folder before the 'objects' folder where all the raw files are located.  It needs to be there to run properly.

Let me know if you would like the python source code  :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:20:41 pm by Wannabehero »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9