Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giant wolverine problem  (Read 5533 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant wolverine problem
« on: May 08, 2019, 02:33:38 am »

I found a great embark with a bit of everything.  Central small area with no aquifer surrounded by savage mountains and joyous wild forests (replete with featherwood and highwood trees) with aquifers, a river running thru it, plenty of everything for a steel industry, pretty decent topography, and lots of fun neighbours on the world map.

Buuuuut it has giant wolverines (and kea-men ) which have so far crippled an armorsmith and murdered an axedwarf and an axe wielding carpenter, as well as made off with a number of livestock.  Man, these things are tenacious. 

I've tried a few strategies but now I am thinking about channelling out an area for surface activity and am left wondering, do these things swim?  I assume the answer is yes, but will they avoid water at least on their normal pathing?  As said, they already made mincemeat out of my well armored axedwarf. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:35:21 am by daggaz »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant wolverine problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 04:33:05 am »

Cover your areas with roofs and allow access to it only through well guarded entrances.

I channel out a "courtyard" where I keep grazers and surface farm plots. This courtyard is then decked over and 3-4 entrance tunnels are dug, one of which allows wagons to enter. All tunnels have cage traps as well as a drawbridge at the outer and inner end. The non caravan tunnels also have doors on the inside of the inner drawbridge to keep weres (and Titans) occupied while the drawbridges are closed.
Each entrance tunnel also has a "dogbox" above it. This dogbox is a single tile building with a grate as its floor, looking down into the tunnel below to detect sneakers (set a bit inside of the outermost cage traps to allow sneakers to get themselves caught before scared away by the guard cat [typically an adopting female:abstention is a working contraceptive method when applied rigorously!]).

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:07:00 am »

Yeah that's more or less what I was doing each time I had an "incident".  Hence the idea that quickly channelling out a moat in the soil layer might help.

I looked at the raws, they have innate_swimmer, but the note says that creatures in fortress mode won't naturally path thru water regardless.  Gosh I hope that is accurate.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 05:43:12 am »

If you can bottleneck the entrance to your fortress reliably enough you can just catch the wolverines + kea men in cage traps using the above methods of funneling them into a 1z high roofed area.

Birds perform very poorly in a 1z restricted space (though the are fast because they fly across the ground rather than walk) and its the easiest way to obtain them (bird traps are still too fiddly to use, the birds usually have to come to you)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 01:08:12 pm »

Wait wait wait, this thing killed an armored dwarf?

Clearly you must capture and breed these abominations so that you may unleash them upon your enemies. Stick twenty of them in a cage and hook the whole thing to a lever-- it's like a Doberman bomb, but with giant wolverines! Fun times!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 02:18:33 pm »

"Stick twenty of them in a cage and hook the whole thing to a lever"

This kills the fortress.  And yeah, he had 5 points in axedwarfery, 5 points in armor, had trained for 2 or 3 months straight on top of that, and was wearing iron helm, mail shirt, gauntlets, high boots, and wielding an iron battle axe with a wooden shield.  It just ripped his leg off....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:21:12 pm by daggaz »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 02:39:27 pm »

Nahh, you misunderstand me. Cage 'em, train 'em, then unleash 'em. Like war dogs, but way nastier.

Ach, I'm inspired now. Gotta go embark somewhere with giant wolverines-- this has potential it does.

klonk
Sigtext

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 04:27:41 am »

If you do, dig a moat and flood it asap.  It works like a charm, also keeps the giant ticks at bay. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 09:36:04 pm »

Kea-men.... hide your anvil!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 09:46:37 pm »

So, real quick just want to say: I think it says a lot about Dwarf Fortress to not know if the Subject is "Giant wolverine problem" as in, "I have a problem involving wolverines that is very large/serious" or if it means "I have a problem involving Giant Wolverines."

Usually it's both.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 05:47:58 am »

Usually it's both.

It was both. 

And I learned a long time ago that the very first thing you do on embark is build a forge wherever it is safe to do so.   With the kea-men, I found that I can make a wheelbarrow stockpile on the surface and it keeps them busy.  I will work on a more entertaining solution once I complete construction of my surface buildings. 

Mahdarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »

I agree that training them would be the best route

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 06:13:18 pm »

Excuse me but that sounds like a Giant Wolverine OPPORTUNITY.  8)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 06:24:55 pm »

"Amen, I say unto you: All problems are naught but opportunities insufficiently weaponized." Book of Armok, 2:47

klonk
Sigtext

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 04:37:25 am »

I'm bothered by the wiki, which says that while I can train them, I cannot train them as hunting or war animals.  Giant war grizzly bears?  Sure no problem.  But Giant Warvarines?  No, Sorry, not dwarfy enough. 

I feel like this is the kind of thing that gets a person to edit their raws. 
Pages: [1] 2