Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Giant wolverine problem  (Read 5506 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Giant wolverine problem
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 07:19:46 am »

Sad, isn't it? But cage-bombs should still work just fine, at least.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 11:50:37 am »

Clearly the title is correct and I have a giant wolverine problem.   :(

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 01:26:51 pm »

The way I see it, the kea men are the real, if less obvious, problem. Wolverines don't routinely fly into the middle of your surface outpost, scare your dwarves, scuttle the occasional wagon, grab your stuff, and then fly off the map with those annoying "X stole Y" notifications, probably giggling all throughout about the success of their criminal master plan.

Even posting a few marksdwarves as scarecrows-with-benefits doesn't do much to dissuade those suicidal bastards. They probably enjoy looking at all those shiny pointy things whistling in their general direction.
The only solution I've found is to store all of my stuff underground so it seems like there's nothing worth taking in my fort, with a few warhammer traps in a conveniently placed "shortcut" to satisfy their curiosity once and for all.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:49:35 pm by HmH »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »

You can train them to be tame but not as war animals.

You probably don't need to train them as war animals they are fairly aggressive on their own, it sounds like.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 04:08:14 pm »

You can train them to be tame but not as war animals.

You probably don't need to train them as war animals they are fairly aggressive on their own, it sounds like.
Any animals a war animal if you put in a cage, starve it, then launch it at your enemies!
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 05:05:37 pm »

Bridge catapult the wolverines over the walls with a drawbridge-action catapult and a pasture, rain death by teeth and claws upon your enemies.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 05:10:01 pm »

Can confirm dropping live angry non-war animals on enemies works. I have done it with crocodiles.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 07:27:29 am »

They wander around randomly like any other animal unit (rather quickly I will add), but if they get close enough to actually see one of your dwarves, they go into a fit of berserk rage and make a beeline straight for them.  Fun happens almost immediately after first contact. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 12:25:10 pm »

They wander around randomly like any other animal unit (rather quickly I will add), but if they get close enough to actually see one of your dwarves, they go into a fit of berserk rage and make a beeline straight for them.  Fun happens almost immediately after first contact.

Ya they should do that to enemies too once tamed. They are like badgers in that respect.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 01:08:50 am »

I might have to try going this route.  I built a moat, and then to keep the trees back I was putting some paving in around the moat.   This was lucky because some brat kid decided to play with his new toy boat I got from the elves, and ran out to the moat to try it out.  A giant wolverine was wandering towards him, and just as it rushed forward, a miner who was there to finish some paving jumped in the way and saved him.   The giant wolverine was mortally wounded (pike to the head) and collapsed, but in the frenzy my miner dodged into the moat and promptly drowned.  Now his corpse is down there, and none of my dwarves can swim past dabbling, so I am afraid I will be having a spooky visit.  I don't feel like doing any major projects to drain the moat (it's connected directly to the river on multiple tiles).  But either way, it is obvious I need to litter the surrounding area with cage traps. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 04:01:53 am »

You can make a slab to the dead miner. This avoids the raising of a ghost.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 07:13:13 am »

Where's the fun in that? =D

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 10:59:07 am »

If the body is close to the moat's edge and only 1 z down, you should be able to build a 2-tile wide floor, build a pump on the floor, with the pump horizontal to the moat's edge, and use the pump to move water away from the corpse so dwarfs can reach it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 11:13:59 am »

Now that's dwarfy, I like it.  Only problem is:
"Urist McPumpsallday cancels job:operate pump.  Interrupted by giant wolverine."
"Urist McPumpsallday has gone missing."
Pages: 1 [2]