Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where can I edit the "Night troll" creature raws?  (Read 2126 times)

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where can I edit the "Night troll" creature raws?
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:28:20 am »

Want it to give the night troll some new attacks, but i dont know where the creature text is, can somebody lend me a hand in finding it?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I edit the "Night troll" creature raws?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 12:02:35 pm »

You can't really mod night creatures, although you can extract specific examples from the raws if you want to make your own copies and edit those.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 12:07:26 pm »

hello again, hero  :D
oohh, what a shame....
how can I do that?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »

I've never really learned the method, but honestly, probably the most efficient way to get access to the raws would be to download this archive Meph made three years ago with a bunch of already extracted randomly generated things. There are a bunch of night trolls in there.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 08:54:33 am »

thnak you for the reply! gonna try to mess with those raws then

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 12:02:00 pm »

You're welcome.
My mods and forum games.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 12:08:14 am »

To get the night troll creature raws, turn off the compressed saves. Open and then save the game. Note that there have been recent major changes in Dwarf Fortress too, so it's probably a good idea to get a fresh batch (and again, when the next version comes out).

Be careful, uncompressed saves are very, very large.

Note in vanilla, night trolls are randomly generated at worldgen (at the very beginning of time, and just then) so you can only edit existing night trolls, or maybe copy them over to the existing raws for a mod if you want to make sure exactly those night trolls will be guaranteed to exist.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.