Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Poisondrool: Let's go kill things! (community game)  (Read 4847 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Poisondrool: Let's go kill things! (community game)
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:25:01 pm »

I press a button, and a world is birthed. Mountains rise, rivers spring forth, and mighty civilizations wake for the first time. For two hundred and fifty years the powers of the world do battle; they wake and war and die at my whim. Innumerable stories unfold before my eyes, every one a tale of life and joy and pain and death. The centuries flow past in minutes, and the Domain of Prophecies takes life.

Yeahh, I don't care a whit for that. I'm gonna wreck this world.

We are the Unholy Curse. Our mission? Beat the everloving tar out of our elfy foes, and out of anybody who tries to stop us.

------------------------
Hi-ho!

So succession forts have left me drained lately. I get deep into the mood of the thing, writing from the eyes of this dwarf or that dwarf, and then everything falls to chaos anyway and... well, it's depressing. Don't get me wrong, I want chaos, but I don't want to be invested in the chaos. So I figure, what better way to bring that about than by pulling up the All Races mod and playing as a bunch of psychopathic little green-skinned monsters?

Some rules I'm gonna set for myself going into this:

- Goblins don't become uber-legendary gods of war-- at least, not so quickly as dwarves do. All military squads must have a minimum of 4 soldiers in them, to prevent excessive sparring.

- Goblins defend themselves with cold iron, not by cowering behind walls and snares. Enemies must be able to path into the fortress proper at all times, and conventional traps are not to be used on enemy soldiers. (At least, not on purpose.)

- Goblins believe in quantity over quality. All goblins are to have all crafting labors enabled at all times.

Let's see how long I last, eh?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:31:16 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisondrool: Let's go kill things! (community game)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »

My gobboes find themselves sprawled around a broken-down wagon, surrounded by trees.

They waste no time in setting themselves to work. Even the trolls (!) cheerfully pitch in with the construction--

--and soon we have a rather nice wall poking into the sky, surrounded on all sides by the devastation wrought by my woodcutter.

Down below, I lay out designations in a haphazard sort of way, slapping down bedrooms with abandon. The miner digs well, and cramped hallways soon take shape.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goblins sleep, right?
-----------------------------

The beak dogs are a rambunctious lot. They gambol about the forest, always underfoot. The trolls don't seem to mind, but the locals do not approve.

It's all in fun, of course. ...I think.

As spring rolls into summer, the miner strikes a cavern.

I'm going to leave this open, I think. More interesting that way.

The caravan arriveth!

And the outpost liaison is... an elf? Weird.

On the other hand, he's the goblinest elf I've ever seen. Elf tooth jewelry, troll fur garb... he's carrying a textbook for baby-snatchers, for crying out loud!

I approve. What'll I sell the merchants though? We just got here! There's no industry! No production! We've got naught but the clothes off our backs-- wait! The clothes off our backs!

We can sell those!

Meanwhile, the goblin-elf begins negotiations, and I learn that beakdogs are an importable good.

Once the import stuff's all sorted out, I move on to the trade proper. Our "gently used" clothwork nets us a few beakdogs, some meat for the trolls, and a couple helms.

Not bad. I'm a little dissappointed that nobody's trying to kill us yet, tho.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:09 pm »

Oho! Migrants!

I tell everybody they are to do everything, and shove 'em all in the military for good measure. It'll be nice to have a few extra hands around here.

Work on the aboveground fortifications continues. The keep isn't quite so imposing yet as I'd like, but it begins to take on a certain solidity nonetheless.

I'm not really sure yet what I intend to do with the surface world, but I want it to be messy. Lots of towers sprawled about, a few trenches here and there-- I might even start a few grassfires, to get that proper blot-on-the-landscape feel. I'd have to use magma, tho... is magma too dwarfy for goblins? Hm.

Maybe some forgotten beast'll show up with fire. That'd be nice.

Some migrant with a crossbow is running around taking potshots at the local wildlife.

I'd tell him to stop, but we're gonna need a skilled marksgoblin someday. Also, this is kinda fun to watch.
Gahh, cave croc!

I watch in delighted horror, expecting carnage untold. Somebody's nose goes flying, blood spatters the walls... then stops? What?

That's... that's messed up. The croc went snip-snip on my goblins' Achilles tendons, then... stopped. It's just standing there, crippling any goblin that tries to recover the wounded. I don't know whether to be nauseated or thrilled.

Well, I *did* bring some tetrahedrite to forge military gear with. Maybe the judicious application of COPPER SCIMITAR TO THE FACE will clear this one up.

A recruit flails about in the croc's general direction. The croc panics and waddles off.

That's probably best for all of us.

Casualties are... kinda bad. Two goblins'll never walk without a crutch again. Another's lost the use of a hand. One unfortunate lost the use of a hand *and* a foot.

Well, I told myself I wanted Fun. And they're still alive, at least.

As it turns out, goblins *do* sleep.

This will slow down construction and whatnot slightly, but at least the bedrooms are seeing use. I was starting to think I'd carved a bunch of holes in the wall for nothing.

The cave croc decides to come back for more.

This time it bites on armor.

Amxu turns out to be a vicious little bloke. He's got a perfectly good scimitar, but he doesn't use it-- instead, he methodically pummels every square inch of the unfortunate crocodile's hide, beating it until it collapses to the ground in terrified exhaustion.

Amxu leaves, satisfied with the work of his hands.

Not long after, the croc leaves for good. I was kinda hoping to cage the thing, but... eh. Something else'll come along.

As autumn rolls around, I take a moment to survey the work of my minions.

I'm rather happy with my little dent on the landscape.

klonk
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 09:45:51 am »

Given that you're gonna be fighting everyone directly, I'm willing to bet that means hundreds of corpses strewn about the map in a couple of years.
I have 2 questions:
Is seeing corpses a major stressor for goblins? Do their personalities change from corpse exposure?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:53:09 pm »

I'm not exactly sure, but I'm inclined to believe the answers are "yes" and "yes". But hey, murderous tantrum-rampages give a fort character, right?  :D

klonk
Sigtext

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 06:38:02 pm »

This ought to be interesting.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 04:17:07 pm »

Sounds wonderfully !!FUN!!, I'm stealing the idea and starting a similar fort.

My version has two castes:

Craftpeasants - do all craftwork and serve as a part-time militia

Medics - serve as medical goblins and have a special job that cannot or should not be drafted. Currently the only jobs I can think of that shouldn't be drafted are miners, woodcutters, hunters (who are almost irrelevant in a goblin fort) and merchants (who also do bookkeeping and managing and stuff and thus should not be training, since I need those work orders and accurate stock counts).

I'm also allowing myself no bridges at all, goblins don't have a head for that weird mechanical stuff like dwarves do. My corpse disposal system is (or, will be, it's not done yet) a primitive series of deep pits scattered throughout the map.

If it's not frowned upon I may post updates here, keeping with the "lets go kill things" theme.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:39:25 pm »

I like the notion of parallel gobbo-forts, but would you mind taking yours to another thread? I can link it in the OP, but I'd like to keep the forts separate so the updates don't get mixed up.

Alternatively, I could make this fort a succession game-- I'm liable to lose interest in this if I push it too long, and more players means more chaos right?

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 05:54:35 pm »

Aha! We have a cave troll!

I... I don't know what to do with cave trolls. I've never really dabbled much in taming stuff. Maybe... maybe if I put the thing in an animal stockpile? That works, right?

Wait. Wait, it's tame already.

I... I didn't do anything. What just happened?
This is all very strange to me. I release the troll from custody.

-------------------------------

Yeahh, troll shearing is a go!

It suddenly occurs to me that a shorn troll must be a hideous sight to see... ah well. My minions can probably handle it.

The goblin caravan arriveth once again.

I... still don't really have anything to trade these guys, but I scrounge up a few more bits of stray clothing and swap 'em for some limonite.

We're gonna have iron! Much better then this trashy copper stuff we've been turning out!

I'm pretty sure this caravan's gonna be coming every season. That'll help offset the lack of trade from other races, I guess.

Some goblin poet petitions for residency.

We don't want no slackers around here! I send the blighter packing.

Ahhahaha! More minions!

We are now 19 strong-- 22, if you count the trolls. I'm glad of the expanded labor pool; the work backlog was getting a bit cluttered. Things will get done much faster now.

The game pauses, and a startling message presents itself before me.

It seems trolls breed like animals, but raise children like sapients. Strange, but kind of adorable-- and it'll do wonders for their stress levels!
I wonder what a troll baby looks like. Given that it has fully grown hair and tusks from birth, it's probably sort of like a little pom-pom with teeth sticking out. Cute... I think.

Wait what?

Huh. I guess we didn't have any kids to steal, so the kidnapper improvised? The joke's on him, at any rate-- I was wondering how to get rid of these pets!

Ber the psychopathic marksgoblin is at it again.

Stymied by his foe's unusual defenses, Ber elects to simply wait the pangolin out.

I may have to let the military handle this one. Ber shows no intention of moving anytime soon.

After glaring at the pangolin for serveral days...

Ber panics, bashes it wish the crossbow, and runs away screaming.
...Oookay?

Several weeks later, Ber finally manages to fell his enemy.

No, I don't know how he did it. Maybe he glared it to death?
Regardless, if this is the best he can do... well, I'm glad all we have to feed around here is trolls.

Horrors! A monkey thing has made off with our garbage!

I was gonna sell that garbage! Bad monkey-thing! Bad!
...Ah well. We'll find other garbage to sell.

The cage traps down in the caverns are turning up some undesirable side products.

Hmm. Low-thread hostile varmints, and somehow we've gotta dispose of them... ooh! I know just what to do with these!

klonk
Sigtext

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 06:12:42 pm »

Fair. I might just not make a thread though: don't want murder everything forts to become the next breadbowl, and I can't be getting too attached to my little balls of anger, can I?

The troll thing is real weird though, and I'm getting the same rapid theft of beak dogs as well. Bunch seem to come with migrants, so whatever. Probably just an intrinsic quality of goblin settlements.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 06:55:22 pm »

Fair. I might just not make a thread though: don't want murder everything forts to become the next breadbowl

We... we don't? :P (Also, Breadbowl's latest iteration kinda is a murder everything fort at this point...)

The troll thing is real weird though, and I'm getting the same rapid theft of beak dogs as well. Bunch seem to come with migrants, so whatever. Probably just an intrinsic quality of goblin settlements.

Hm, so I can expect more beak-dog-thievery in future then. It's the strangest thing... I've never had a kidnapper so much as show its face in any of my forts, and now this! What gives?

Ah well. Must be a goblin thing.

klonk
Sigtext

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 08:56:35 pm »

We... we don't?
Fair enough.
Hm, so I can expect more beak-dog-thievery in future then. It's the strangest thing... I've never had a kidnapper so much as show its face in any of my forts, and now this! What gives?
I think I just figured it out: it's just the merchants' beak dogs leaving the map, which for some reason registers as thievery.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 09:48:08 pm »

I think I just figured it out: it's just the merchants' beak dogs leaving the map, which for some reason registers as thievery.
Huh. Weird. That checks out with what I'm seeing, tho.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:44:58 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 08:23:22 am »

Watchin'

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 11:41:20 am »

I like it ! I think I'll make a goblin fort as well :)

Can I get gobbod ?
Give me the weakest goblin of all, and make me the book-keeper please.
Make me read / manage / do intellectual stuff. Don't make me fight. I don't like physical stuff :P
I shall be named Spriggy - the smartest gobbo
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2 3