Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.3 - Villains Release & Sushi!  (Read 17587 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.3 - Villains Release & Sushi!
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:06:49 pm »

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14375

Built on the back of Taffer's DF Revised (with his blessing - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161832.0), "Vanilla-Spice Revised" aims to upgrade existing threats and challenges while keeping the general feel of vanilla DF. The goal is to add no new creatures, but to make existing creatures better at what they're *meant* to do. Generous thanks to Taffer, Sver, Button, and others for their exemplary work.

Some features from DF Revised;
-Balance adjustments to material strengths, attacks, armor, weapons, and speeds
-Bugfixes and corrections for chitin, scale, pearl, and leather
-Bugfixes to egg-layers, disappearing creatures, tameable beasts
-Bugfixes to feather trees, seeds, and rotting materials
-Elves wield superior wooden weapons
-More creatures stealing booze, items or food
-More creatures eating vermin
-More vocalizations
-Animalmen have variable proportions and mannerisms

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NEW UPDATE 2/9/2020! Prior patchnotes spoiler'd for readability.
   Rework for the Villains Release (.47xx). Taffer's Dwarf Fortress Revised 2.2 incorporated some elements from this mod, particularly regarding animal people and vocalizations. I am honored to have contributed!

-New feature: Sushi! Similar to the happy thoughts for cheese, this is a fine food made from large fish such as sharks and carp. This is to reward players who jump through the hoops    to catch such creatures. Since fish are low-fat creatures IRL, their "fat" is processed into additional sushi rather than tallow. Mermaids are also eligible, if you're into that.
   -ELEMENTMAN creatures such as Blood, Mud, Gabbro, Amethyst, Fire and Magma Men (plus Plump Helmet Men) can now regenerate their severed limbs. This is within the mission statement of "making creatures do what they do, but better." Blood, Mud and Fire Men also have 3:5 damage reduction since they're so flimsy.
   -Good-aligned grass will fully heal GRAZER creatures, including regeneration. Whether you use this to mend your wounded cattle after beast attacks or explore new and horrifying frontiers in target practice is entirely your choice.
   -More animalmen conform to either Dwarf or Human armor sizing.
   -Leech, Tick, Fly and Mosquito Men are now fully added civs based on Goblins. By default only two bugman civs will spawn, but worldgen circus breaches now have non-goblin options when generating a brand new civ mid-game. This is an exciting avenue to explore going forward, as it may work even if the starting number is set to 0!
   -Creature classes for food syndromes are narrowed down to VEGETARIAN, LIKES_MEAT and LIKES_FISH. BUG_GIANT is used for mounts for bugmen civs.
   -First pass of adventurer content: Eating the "beating heart" of a Megabeast (Dragon, Cave Dragon, Roc, Hydra, Sea Monster, Sea Serpent) will fully heal and regenerate you. If you can micromanage your kitchen in dwarf mode, it'll apply there as well.
   -Knuckle weapons can be made at the forge. These handheld bludgeons are smaller than maces, and are made exclusively from jewelry metals and alloys such as brass, bronze, gold, silver and platinum. This is something of a balance addition to make non-iron/non-copper embarks more playable. While a squad of Strikers is inefficient, it's better than nothing.
   -Wooden training maces (cudgels) and wooden training hammers (mallets) now provide training options for those weapons.

Enjoy and have !!fun!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:11:04 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.0 - Vocalizations & More!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:17:29 pm »

Why are carp crazed?

I mean, I know why in a d for dorf, the carp stands up, ho ho ho in-joke manner, but actually why? Everything else seems to be focused on Better Vanilla, bug-fixes and realism.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:02:32 pm »

Why are carp crazed?

I mean, I know why in a d for dorf, the carp stands up, ho ho ho in-joke manner, but actually why? Everything else seems to be focused on Better Vanilla, bug-fixes and realism.

So far the bulk of the work is still Taffer's, which is definitely as you describe. But my ulterior motive for branching this off is to spice up gameplay a bit - increase the challenge without altering the feel. In that vein, food balance is totally whack and I want to address it without resorting to something as radical as a total agriculture conversion.

Rivers/oceans are absurdly bountiful with no real downsides. In the days of the deadly carp, there was a risk to balance that out - you either do some careful channeling/retention ponds, set marksdwarves, or fish through floor bars/grates, or you risk losing a fisherdwarf. It's certainly more interesting than just printing free food from the river. Alligators, crocodiles and hippos can also present that challenge, but they're restricted to a narrow set of biomes.

One extreme solution to the food-bounty problem that I've considered is knocking down creature sizes by some percentage across the board, as it'd reduce meat yields. It's a lot of work, though, and for now more hazards seems more appropriate.

CarpBiter2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:56:45 am »

carps
I, for one, approve of this feature.

Rivers/oceans are absurdly bountiful with no real downsides.
You can also make fish cleaning take more time and convince dwarves to feel bad when they're eating "prepared fish" out of a meal.
-Optional beastman civ modules which select from one of multiple species at worldgen
Do you plan on bringing your bugmen? I quite liked them.
The lake unfroze, the ducks drowned.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:19:43 pm »

Won't snakes being mischeivous make them pull levers and open cages?

Anyway, if I might make a suggestion: you should increase the population numbers of creatures across the board. Especially the fantasy ones, since we get far too little of them. Take the gremlin, for instance: there can be only ONE per region.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 04:41:30 pm »

Snakes would probably need a grasp to active levers and open cages. Wouldn't they?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 06:18:34 pm »

Snakes would probably need a grasp to active levers and open cages. Wouldn't they?
Dunno. Could be that the game never checks, considering it was made only for gremlins.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:21 pm »

-Optional beastman civ modules which select from one of multiple species at worldgen
Do you plan on bringing your bugmen? I quite liked them.

That means a lot, thanks. I've just made a huge breakthrough to improve them - the prior version was super awkward because I had to manually replace each bugman to make them adhere to dwarf height for armor sizing. Now I can apply that as a creature variation, which will make things far easier.

As for snakes pulling levers: Gremlins never make it that far in my forts, but I totally love the image of a snake lazily coiling up on a lever until it falls over, accidentally triggering a magma floodgate and dooming the fort.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:47:48 pm by Warlord255 »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 10:07:39 pm »

Dunno. Could be that the game never checks, considering it was made only for gremlins.
It would check if an armless dorf could reset a trap though presumably.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.1 - Bird Bards & Bloodsuckers!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 07:53:42 pm »

A new version is up!

The first pass of animalmen improvements has been made. Many bird men and most insect men have skill and attribute bonuses which are unique to each species-type; songbird-men like Cardinals and Orioles have higher MUSICALITY traits and SING skills, while Owls have high TEACHING and KNOWLEDGE_ACQUISITION talents.

All insect-men have DWARF_EXACT_SIZE, which allows them to wear dwarf-sized armor; further passes will apply similar treatments to other appropriate creatures. Also included are many improvements to bloodsucking insects and insect-men, adapted from my Better Bugmen mod.

Most delightfully, as a useless flavor addition - raw foods have syndromes which make certain creature classes happy. For example, Elves love raw meat!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 10:27:51 am »

I like the idea of this mod, but after reading about the lead poisoning that kind of scares me off. How often does lead poisoning happen to miners and furnace operators? Is there a cure for it?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 11:32:41 am »

I like the idea of this mod, but after reading about the lead poisoning that kind of scares me off. How often does lead poisoning happen to miners and furnace operators? Is there a cure for it?

It's fairly rare - 1 to 2% chance. And for default metal poisoning, it only affects dwarves when they're fully cave-adapted. Only the most frail and chronically-exposed dwarves need worry, and additional forge hands helps divide the risk... but it does add one more wrinkle to the "solution" of walling off sieges indefinitely, which was the primary intent. If you don't like it, replace the reaction_smelter and inorganic_mineral files with their vanilla versions.

If I get enough concerns like yours, I'll include it separately as a bonus module instead of a default inclusion.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:57 am »

It's fairly rare - 1 to 2% chance. And for default metal poisoning, it only affects dwarves when they're fully cave-adapted. Only the most frail and chronically-exposed dwarves need worry, and additional forge hands helps divide the risk... but it does add one more wrinkle to the "solution" of walling off sieges indefinitely, which was the primary intent. If you don't like it, replace the reaction_smelter and inorganic_mineral files with their vanilla versions.

If I get enough concerns like yours, I'll include it separately as a bonus module instead of a default inclusion.
Cave adapted must live in gases normal, but not adapted must have syndromes. This also may prevent humans from dwarf-like minig.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 01:32:40 pm »

It's fairly rare - 1 to 2% chance. And for default metal poisoning, it only affects dwarves when they're fully cave-adapted. Only the most frail and chronically-exposed dwarves need worry, and additional forge hands helps divide the risk... but it does add one more wrinkle to the "solution" of walling off sieges indefinitely, which was the primary intent.

How does it impact walling off sieges?  I can't see what you mean.

Also, what exactly have you done to stress?  Changed the "very depressive" ranges for dwarves?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 03:47:59 am »

It's fairly rare - 1 to 2% chance. And for default metal poisoning, it only affects dwarves when they're fully cave-adapted. Only the most frail and chronically-exposed dwarves need worry, and additional forge hands helps divide the risk... but it does add one more wrinkle to the "solution" of walling off sieges indefinitely, which was the primary intent.

How does it impact walling off sieges?  I can't see what you mean.

Also, what exactly have you done to stress?  Changed the "very depressive" ranges for dwarves?
Here's the relevant code for stress changes.
Code: [Select]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:30:75]{Was 0:45:100, adjusted down.}
[PERSONALITY:BASHFUL:0:30:75]{Was 0:45:100, adjusted down.}
[PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY:0:30:75]{+ Added tighter range to tamp down stress.}
[PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:0:30:75]{+ Added tighter range to tamp down stress.}
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:0:30:75]{+ Added tighter range to tamp down stress.}
My hope is that this will reduce the number of "time bomb" dwarves - those so stress-prone that they're impossible to appease - while still leaving the average dwarf susceptible to reasonable PTSD from corpses, stagnant water, etc. instead of being immune.

As for sieges - there are currently some penalties to walling off a siege and forsaking the sun indefinitely, but they're mostly negligible. This is one more cost to consider. More importantly, it increases the value of already-forged metal goods and imported bars somewhat. If nothing else, it's a bit of nice flavor.

Pages: [1] 2