Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.3 - Villains Release & Sushi!  (Read 17579 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: DF Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.2 - Bonus Civs and Armor Sharing!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 07:36:22 am »

Version 1.2 has been posted! Further improvements to animalmen (esp. bears, canines and big cats) and the inclusion of some bonus animalman civs to try out.

Other QOL changes include MATERIAL_VALUE:2 for all colored stones, Goethite (bog iron) for slightly easier metals access, training maces/hammers, and a greatly reduced list of domestic animals for Dwarven civilizations so that you don't drown in migrant pets of quite so many flavors. Give it a try!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 07:34:11 pm »

You know what's something that isn't in DF despite it making a lot of sense? Skunk spray! We have skunks in DF, yet they cannot spray, which is strange. Perhaps this mod could fix this?

P.S. this is just a suggestion

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 11:25:01 am »

You know what's something that isn't in DF despite it making a lot of sense? Skunk spray! We have skunks in DF, yet they cannot spray, which is strange. Perhaps this mod could fix this?

P.S. this is just a suggestion

Good idea

CarpBiter2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 02:28:39 am »

-Dwarf civs have fewer domestic animals by default to reduce migrant pet clutter; use only Mules, Dogs, Cats, Sheep, Yaks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would argue for adding an egg laying bird and probably pigs (since they don't graze).
The lake unfroze, the ducks drowned.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 11:08:29 pm »

Thank you for releasing and supporting this! I'll have to look through it for features to add back to Revised.

I can definitely see both of our branches continuing simultaneously: I think you enjoy collecting features more than I do, and having this as an option is helpful because I don't have to feel quite as guilty saying no to things. Then I can continue to look to Vanilla-Spice Revised for new features and you can continue to look to regular Revised for stability and polish.

I'm open to suggestions!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 12:58:08 pm »

Thank you for releasing and supporting this! I'll have to look through it for features to add back to Revised.

I can definitely see both of our branches continuing simultaneously: I think you enjoy collecting features more than I do, and having this as an option is helpful because I don't have to feel quite as guilty saying no to things. Then I can continue to look to Vanilla-Spice Revised for new features and you can continue to look to regular Revised for stability and polish.

I'm open to suggestions!

Always good to hear from you. I'll definitely be considering some more extreme options/modules, such as more abilities for megabeasts and creatures. One lofty goal is syndromes granted by eating the raw heart of a megabeast, which gives adventurers a reward for their feats of daring.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 02:42:36 pm »

Always good to hear from you. I'll definitely be considering some more extreme options/modules, such as more abilities for megabeasts and creatures. One lofty goal is syndromes granted by eating the raw heart of a megabeast, which gives adventurers a reward for their feats of daring.

I just did code for this same thing for one of my mods if you want it.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 05:10:37 pm »

Warlord255 makes strange gestures!
The thread shudders and begins to move!

Dwarf Fortress Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.3 is now available for the .47 Villains Release. Huzzah! Check the first post for features - we've got sushi, beating hearts, regenerating mud men and more!

I rebuilt the mod on top of Taffer's 2.2 Revised release after adjusting it to work with Villains - and was humbled to find some of my ideas from Vanilla-Spice incorporated into it. I did take out the dictionary, however, as a personal preference. Should you want to re-add it, Revised 2.2 has the appropriate language files.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: DF Vanilla-Spice Revised 1.3 - Villains Release & Sushi!
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 01:54:13 am »

A small question: I'm trying to wrap my head around all the changes made by this mod, and I see this in the list of changes of Dwarf Fortress Revised 2.2:

"intelligent humanoids that were supposed to steal items now can't, to prevent them from turning around as soon as they arrive."

Do you know what it means exactly and what is the bug it worked around? is it a change you kept? It sounds like it may conflict with Villains sending thieves to steal your artifacts, so I thought I'd check with you.

Looking forward to play the mod!

EDIT: Side-note, so far the only change I don't really like is the cutting down of pets to exclude egg-laying animals, and perhaps other animals with unique uses (been a while, can't remember them all). That's basically a feature removed from the game unless you manage to acquire said animal from merchants - and even then, can you use them since your removed the pet tags?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:59:33 am by isitanos »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2020, 04:02:34 pm »

Thanks for making this. I have downloaded this and have been generating worlds, trying to fine tune everything before I settle on a world that I intend to play for a long time.

A few suggestions for improvements:
When playing as a goblin adventurer from a goblin civ, you can buy trolls as starting pets, but they cost only one urist.
This means that even a lowly peasant can start with an army of hundreds of trolls by managing his starting equipment a bit. The same is true for ogres. Probably needs some balancing.

I seem to have problems to get the Leech, Tick, Fly and Mosquito Men to show up in my games in 47.04. Both as a starting civ, or from dwarves breaking into hell. 
The latter is likely because dwarves are missing the [MINING_UNDERWORLD_DISASTERS] tag, I'm not sure what else is wrong, as I'm still only getting regular goblins.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:15:04 pm by Bralbaard »

wasara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2020, 05:35:33 pm »

I seem to have problems to get the Leech, Tick, Fly and Mosquito Men to show up in my games in 47.04. Both as a starting civ, or from dwarves breaking into hell. 
The latter is likely because dwarves are missing the [MINING_UNDERWORLD_DISASTERS] tag, I'm not sure what else is wrong, as I'm still only getting regular goblins.

Friendly neighborhood debugger here, i moved the entity data from entity_bug_evil to entity_default and that resulted in the civ spawning again.
Seems that the file is being ignored.
 The header on entity_bug_evil seems fine, but I debug, not mod, so what do i know.
Poor Wasara. This fort really doesn't seem to like you too much. All the more reason to continue to help beat it into submission.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2020, 06:10:37 pm »

Friendly neighborhood debugger here, i moved the entity data from entity_bug_evil to entity_default and that resulted in the civ spawning again.
Seems that the file is being ignored.
 The header on entity_bug_evil seems fine, but I debug, not mod, so what do i know.

Thanks for the information. I'm in the middle of combing through VSR for more changes to import into "normal" Revised, and the report helps (although I'm not sure yet if I'll be importing the custom civilizations).

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2022, 12:46:23 am »

Update for any interested: I'm currently in the arduous process of rebuilding elements from Vanilla-Spice Revised under the new system, with the goal of being more modular than a total replacement - which many elements unfortunately would require.

As an example, the new SELECT_CREATURE methods enable tons of the tiny flavor/bug fixes for specific creatures; however, root changes to c_variation_default would require replacing *the entire vanilla creatures folder*, which is the largest by far. Having insufficient time to commit to a total rebuild, I'm instead fragmenting the work into what I hope will be more managable chunks. For now I'm focusing on the Vanilla Spice Rack, which will include wild additions like sushi and species-specific reworks similar to my old Better Bugmen mod. You'll be able to find all of these under my Steam alias.

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2024, 01:16:53 pm »

Hi, is this still being worked on? I really really loved Taffer's old mod and wonder if any progress has been made. Mainly I want the flavor changes.

Either way, thanks for the long time of support. I loved this mod and taffers back in the days.
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream
Pages: 1 [2]