Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fucking Positive Shit Thread  (Read 2452 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Awesome With Autism

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fucking Positive Shit Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 05:48:33 pm »

That's not positive. That's just someone you like putting down someone you don't.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:02:15 pm »

I think they're both completely missing the other's point.
Arnold is clearly trying to be noble and insightful, but just coming off as arrogant and douchey.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:17:51 pm »

Don't we have the Happy Thread for this kind of stuff?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:20:42 am »

The idiot Arnie is responding to straight up called the participants in the Special Olympics "retards", so as far as I'm concerned The Governator has every single right and even an obligation to call the poster out for being an asshat.

And yes, this probably belongs in the happy thread.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:34:12 am »

That's not positive. That's just someone you like putting down someone you don't.
Let me be the first to Godwin this thread:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:01:42 am »

What they were trying to say:

OP: A competition among the handicapped fails to demonstrate the levels of human excellence which made the more traditional Olympics popular in the first place.
Arnold: The purpose of the Special Olympics is not to demonstrate physical excellence relative to the audience or humanity as a whole. Rather, it is to demonstrate excellence relative to the competitors, who manage to overcome their limitations and defy others' expectations. If you sincerely wish to appreciate the Special Olympics, then I suggest that you endeavor to empathise with the competitors and see things from their point of view.

What they actually said:

OP: LOL retards sux
Arnold: nuh uh! U R a double retard!! and if you say anything else im gonna ban you!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:56:16 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0HEDcgAs1Q

I mean, this is certainly what helps me out in times of trouble.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:59:20 am »

I, in all honesty, cannot even begin to see how you can possibly view the above exchange in that light, and reject your position entirely.

I am going to be completely blunt: If someone uses the term "retard" as a catch-all for the disadvantaged persons for whom the Special Olympics exists, then I believe with every fiber of my being that said person should be berated, belittled, insulted, and treated just as poorly as those disadvantaged people are by persons spewing the same epithet that the OP so casually and thoughtlessly used.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:05:44 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:07:26 am »

Schwarzenegger was being quite civil and polite with his response. The OP would've deserved a worse thrashing.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 05:33:36 am »

I am going to be completely blunt: If someone uses the term "retard" as a catch-all for the disadvantaged persons for whom the Special Olympics exists, then I believe with every fiber of my being that said person should be berated, belittled, insulted, and treated just as poorly as those disadvantaged people are by persons spewing the same epithet that the OP so casually and thoughtlessly used.
While I fully acknowledge that the term is commonly and aggressively misused, I do feel the need to point out that according to the strict dictionary definition of the word, it is generally an accurate descriptor for these people.

Schwarzenegger was being quite civil and polite with his response. The OP would've deserved a worse thrashing.
There is a big difference between civility and eloquence. Schwarzenegger used a lot of big words and colorful imagery, but he used those words to deliberately misrepresent his opponent's perspective, threaten them, needlessly degrade them, and hurled unfounded insults at them. No part of that response should be considered civil.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 06:01:33 am »

No. Arnie good! You bad.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 06:26:05 am »

While I fully acknowledge that the term is commonly and aggressively misused, I do feel the need to point out that according to the strict dictionary definition of the word, it is generally an accurate descriptor for these people.

Face it, the process of euphemism treadmill means that whichever term you use will end up being pejorative. In fact I've seen the term "mental retardation" used in professional settings and "special" used pejoratively. I think getting worked up over the term is rather pointless, but then again it seems that nowadays it's fashionable to get worked up over all sorts of random shit so... 🤷‍♂️

I kind of agree with Ahnold that the original poster was just fishing for attention though. You do get that a lot as well lately. People getting worked up by random shit vs trolls trolling trolls. Brave new world.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 06:56:53 am »

Let me be the first to Godwin this thread:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nothing of any significance happened here, though. It's another vitriolic exchange from a cesspool of virulent stupidity, extracted into a list of such things so we can all wag our fingers alongside the good guy and feel like we're righteous for hating the right anonymous people. It feels good, sure, but it's about as positive as the Two Minutes' Hate.

This isn't the Nazis surrendering. This is someone DESTROYING the Nazis with a SICK BURN about how they're totally mean and should feel very bad about themselves. If that's positive, great. We have an endless supply of self-satisfied screaming into the void for you to choose from. It's just that none of it actually matters.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 07:18:53 am »

If Magic Johnson goes to the toilet, and there's blood in his stool, has he laid a fucking positive shit?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: [1] 2