Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma flow  (Read 1570 times)

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
Magma flow
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:11:42 pm »

I uh.... accidentally may have potentially forgotten magma replenishes itself in a volcano. Let's say there's a higher part to the volcano, does the magma eventually reach the top of the volcano? Need to know if I should restart this fort. Although It would be fun! to watch my migrants spawn on to the map and die horrible deaths.   :-\

Picture taken with the meph tileset. I like how it cascades anyway.

https://imgur.com/RBC9YZs

EDIT: Image didn't want to embed for some reason.

ADDITIONAL EDIT : did some small scale tests and it doesn't flood to the top. Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:09:09 pm by Arcturus »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma flow
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:51 am »

Magma pools and volcanoes have a "top level" from which magma rains down if the current level is lower (as you discovered), and once that level is reached it won't go higher (there are apparently oddities with reclaimed fortresses, but that's a separate issue). Also note that a wall/floor blocking the "top level"'s direct line-of-sight to the magma flow at the bottom of the magma sea causes the rain to start from the level just below that blockage (on a tile per tile basis).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:50:20 am »

Can you build something magma safe in/over the hole from above (a bridge?) to plug the hole you made?

If not, at least you don't have to worry about invasions.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 11:33:05 am »

I uh.... accidentally may have potentially forgotten magma replenishes itself in a volcano. Let's say there's a higher part to the volcano, does the magma eventually reach the top of the volcano? Need to know if I should restart this fort. Although It would be fun! to watch my migrants spawn on to the map and die horrible deaths.   :-\

Picture taken with the meph tileset. I like how it cascades anyway.

https://imgur.com/RBC9YZs

EDIT: Image didn't want to embed for some reason.

ADDITIONAL EDIT : did some small scale tests and it doesn't flood to the top. Thanks anyway.

The volcano will refill over time, and on reclaim the magma sea and volcanos apparently get refilled. Note the refill area goes slightly around the Texas-shaped zone of the volcano, so you might get strange behaviour around there.

If you want to embed the image you need to add .png or a relevant format at the end. Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.