Finally... > Life Advice

What things do you consider when getting into game development?

(1/2) > >>

Anrlndo:
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and new to DF. I'm inspired by Zach and Tarn's work and I would like to start developing my own games. I've got some basic skill in Python and I have a few questions for anyone that would be interested in helping:

1. What technical aspects should you consider when getting into game development? the things that I can think of thus far are:
graphical models
music
animation
concept design
story writing/character development
programming experience

Am i leaving anything out here?

2. Programming language - which would be the best for an open source sandbox game with basic graphics? I'd like to develop a game with graphics like some of the packs included in the LNP for DF. What language would you recommend? I have some experience with Python, what else would be best to get familiar with?

3. Any other major tips or things to consider if I seriously want to get into developing my own work? I just want to work on it in my spare time and release it for free for people to enjoy.

4. Any good online sources or courses (paid/unpaid, idc atm) that can help me learn these basic things?

Thanks so much, hope to hear from you guys soon!

Levi:
1) Trigonometry!  I only mention it because I suck at it and it always seems to come up.

hawkeye_de:
Hi Anrindo,

it depends what your are trying to do...do you want to create a roguelike with similar graphics like DF ? Or more graphic-intensive games ? Just be aware of that more ambitious your visuals are, the effort will be also exponentially higher. So in any case start simple!

Python is fine to start with.

Just tell a little more what y wanna achieve, then we could give more concrete tips.

Anrlndo:
Sure. So what I want to do is create my own sandbox game with the ability to mine to different sub levels like in dwarf fortress, and have randomised events, a procedurally generated world with different races, lore and apocalyptic events that act as challenges to the player. I like the graphics in various packs for df, which I find a little bit more accessible than the ASCII graphics. I'd like to be able to simulate basic primitive technology such as growing crops such as wheat to be ground in a mill into flour and then transport those resources to a bakery for workers that can be assigned roles such as baker, for example. I'd like to incorporate similar trade types for carpenters, writers, priests, miners, militia, sorcerors, engineers, potters, hunters, etc. I'd want to incorporate a weather system with seasons and have enemy NPC factions such as native monsters that are sentient beings that can create their own dwellings, military buildings, cast spells, etc.

I like in dwarf fortress how it is a living world and anything can happen at any time. You can be invaded by were monsters, demon invasions, floods, etc. I'd like to incorporate something similar into my own game.

Hopefully that gives a rough idea of what I want to achieve.

hawkeye_de:
Since you have a big game idea in mind, you should strongly consider to start with ASCII graphics. You can use Tiles later... You find some tutorials https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/ in the tutorials section in the right view.
If you want to learn Kotlin, there is also a pretty new engine for tile/grid games, which has the advantage that it has a GUI system...https://hexworks.org/posts/tutorials/2018/12/04/how-to-make-a-roguelike.html. Personally I would not choose Python if I want to make a big game but for learning it is perfect.
*Disclaimer* I am one of the contributors of Zircon. */Disclaimer*

But again....if this is your first game, start a small one...look at https://7drl.com/ for some inspirations. Your scope should not be bigger for your first game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version