Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobolds Consitently Disbanding Entire Civ On Year 98  (Read 3426 times)

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds Consitently Disbanding Entire Civ On Year 98
« on: February 16, 2019, 05:07:38 pm »

Every time I try creating a new Worldgen, every Kobold civilization abandons all of their sites on exactly year 98. They are abandoned without explanation when viewed in Legends Viewer. The civ is then declared "dead" in year 99.

All settings and worldgen options, other than kobolds actually getting a civ, are the same as vanilla DF.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:59:23 pm by Torchwood202 »

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds Consitently Disbanding Entire Civ On Year 98
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:32:01 am »

The only thing I can think of is that's when the last kobolds die of old age. But I'm not sure why they'd be doing that, as they'd have clearly successfully bred in order to get to year 98. You could try increasing their lifespan in creature_civ_kobold.txt to see if that changes their extinction date.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:33:53 am by Arkenor »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 10:06:35 am »

If they don't live in caves, they don't have access to the new kobold cave abode-egg-breeding cove in version 44.~ in the adapted cave-sites, so they need transplanting elsewhere or a rethink.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 01:19:37 am »

So is there any known fix for this so far? I know this has been a problem for a long while with the kobolds in Masterwork. Like over a few versions I think, where they just basically die as a civ, the year or two before the World Gen ends if they have no caves. It happens often enough that its a pain in the rear, cause they get easily taken over by other races.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:13:26 am »

A fix might be adding a lot more caves to the worldgen setting; or by changing kobolds to breed in a different way. Or to gen worldgens shorter than 100 years.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:03:40 am »

A fix might be adding a lot more caves to the worldgen setting; or by changing kobolds to breed in a different way. Or to gen worldgens shorter than 100 years.

By default they live in fortress_detailed and also occupy cave sites which make them visible to other civs, this seems like a problem. Let me pull up the entity.txt file entry real quick for vanilla masterwork.

Code: [Select]
[FRIENDLY_COLOR:6:0:0]
DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE]

Offending code here, cave start isn't in brackets either deliberately commented out or otherwise, this is unaltered copy-paste from file. In either case like conflicting [CREATURE] at the entity level it'd make them start at either per civ rather than simultaneous.

Savage races seem to be really messy with fortress starts like this, i normally play with one or two until they get annoying and turn them off, i enjoy naga's as easy early fodder though despite being unraidable in return because they are inaccessible over water until toady puts in amphibious mounts as he said he'd go towards on the FotF.

You can alter the number of caves and whether they are viewable at the start by altering the default world-generation settings to have both of these in excess on a 'create world' main menu without advanced world setting meddling. Its a field i know very little about the specifics about but changing these two variables to a default without changing anything else is pretty straightfoward as is fixing the site type.

Kobold caves are real mapped places now, so for civs and other civs who might be inclined like raptorpeople (also lay eggs) from the fortress defense mod can use them.