Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Turn 5 Revision Phase)  (Read 27444 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Prewar 5 Revision Phase)
« Reply #225 on: September 01, 2019, 04:16:09 pm »

Revision 1:
Automate Subcompact Automatic Sidearm: (1) Doomblade
Workman Overhaul Package: (3) Taricus, TricMagic, Failbird

Revision 2:
Legacy of Terra - War and Ordinance (0)
Legacy of Terra Enhancement Package: (1) Taricus
Savior Upgrade, Savior Herald: (3) TricMagic, Doomblade, Failbird
Eh, fuck it. It was WaO or this, but if the only other WaO supporter is changing then I might as well too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:31:09 pm by Failbird105 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 01, 2019, 06:19:40 pm »

@Failbird, the reasoning behind this shift was because I want cheaper medics, but was originally going to address this by making our secondary better. However, since that is currently receiving no vote traction, I went with Tric's revision.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 01, 2019, 06:26:53 pm »

I don't really see how a better secondary would make our medics cheaper. Like, it would address my own concerns, but I don't see it changing the cost of a completely unrelated design.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2019, 06:55:54 pm »

I don't really see how a better secondary would make our medics cheaper. Like, it would address my own concerns, but I don't see it changing the cost of a completely unrelated design.
Oh, it's a sub-machine gun to provide a substitute for carrying a primary - fewer concerns about giving up primary that way.

Revision 1:
Automate Subcompact Automatic Sidearm: (0)
Legacy of Terra Enhancement Package: (1) Doomblade

Revision 2:
Savior Upgrade, Savior Herald: (3) TricMagic, Doomblade, Failbird

Re-voting because of Tari's LoT write-up edit.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:02:32 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 01, 2019, 07:32:06 pm »

Oh, it's a sub-machine gun to provide a substitute for carrying a primary - fewer concerns about giving up primary that way.
Well yes, but as I said, I feel like that's not going to decrease the cost of a completely unrelated design.

That being said, jury is still out for me on whether to support the Herald or the LoTEP, I'm not going to change for now, I'm just going to get some rest and then think about it when my brain is functioning again.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:07:56 am by Failbird105 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2019, 07:10:28 am »

Revision 1:

Revision 2:
Legacy of Terra Enhancement Package: (2) Taricus, Failbird
Savior Upgrade, Savior Herald: (2) TricMagic, Doomblade
The more I look at the Herald, the more it looks like something that needs a design rather than a revision. I've fallen into the trap of redesigning a weapon too much for a revision before, and the changes were not as big as these.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2019, 07:26:25 am »

Question is, are you going to spend a design on it in the first place?

What is so big about these changes anyway? A WristComp, of which we have plenty of computer experience. And a Backpack Generator, of which we already have a pack?

Note the applicator blade does no come into this equation. We have experience with the whole healing bit.

I'm not even putting much into it, as the Omnivisor Suite deals with targeting.

edit-

LoT is safe. It's unlikely to be anything other than normal, maybe -1 at most. However. You're effectively hoping it's cost gets reduced, along with it's aux cost to 1.

None of our classes are cheaper than expensive. They likely will already have it. The cost reduction only goes to the regular troops, who can't use class specific gear. This also means the Aux reduction is wasted on them. The only class that has a full loadout of Aux Gear are the Engineers. Some of the regular troops are likely to already have it, at Expensive level deployment.

The material thing for defending against kinetics and lasers are also concerning to me. What is good for one type is not good for another, and the kinetic defense is fine. Splitting it can lead to reduced effectiveness on a low roll, and we will can only designate one in a class loadout. This last bit is nitpicking though...

Herald, as stated in the first part of the post, is not groundbreaking. The WristComp is the most complicated part of it, and central to it to remove all those heavy computing parts from the Savior's applicator. This means an applicator can be in the Aux Slot. In a bad roll scenario, it's still likely to simply become an aux slot item, which solves the whole taking up a primary weapon.

This is a Reroll turn though. While our designs bombed, that was mostly bad luck, and heavy difficulty modifiers. Worst case, it's -3, though I have no idea how at the moment. -1 would be more likely, with -2 being possible. The benefits of E Medics are calculable however. In Class scenarios, we'll likely always have them on hand. In Troop Scenarios, they'll most certainly be there too. And Troops can't wield class-defining equipment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:56:58 am by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 02, 2019, 09:45:53 am »

Herald-Alt: Savior HMA revision
The Savior has problems as it is. The most major of which being its considerable size and weight.

A major contributor of this is the fact that the User Interface, as well as the electronics necessary for it, are stored within the body of the tool itself. Instead, the user interface has been shifted to be largely Omnivisor based, making full use of the Omnivisors brainwave scanners. This does mean that medics using the Herald will require the Omnivisor, but frankly, the Omnivisor is built into what is effectively the standard armor for our Certified forces(and hopefully the Uncertified too in time), so this doesn't seem like much of an issue. In return for this, we remove a large chunk of the Saviors extra mass.

The wires doing the connection will specifically go from the Omnivisor to the Nanite-generator pack, which in addition to having a couple extra nanite generators, will contain any of the still-needed computational equipment that doesn't need to be stored in the tool itself. The wires then will run along the nanite tubes to reach the tool. This should increase the size of the pack to more like a backpack, and it will be located appropriately.

The tool itself will, obviously, be streamlined, getting rid of any excess space that was left unused when most of the now-unneeded electronics where removed or relocated. Additionally, the new backpack will have a space on it that the tool can directly attach to, instead of needing to have it take the place of the primary weapon. The hope is that at the worst it will only be taking up space that could be used for extra equipment, rather than space that is needed for the soldiers primary weapon.

All in all, the Herald model Savior should be easier to carry and use, and be at least somewhat more effective.

My own version of the revision to the Savior. This eliminates things such as the unnecessary complete restructuring of the tool, and the wrist-computer which may also be unnecessary given the Omnivisors capabilities, thus making it not take up the primary weapon slot, plus a moderate boost to effectiveness.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:34:44 pm by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 02, 2019, 10:12:40 am »

Revision 1:

Revision 2:
Legacy of Terra Enhancement Package: (2) Taricus, Failbird
Savior Upgrade, Savior Herald: (1) Doomblade
Herald-Alt: Savior HMA revision: (1) TricMagic

This will do. Not taking up the primary weapon slot means more will be willing to adopt it, meaning we will have E Medics. With the armor, this means our forces will be difficult to keep down, putting it lightly.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 02, 2019, 10:15:14 am »

Revision 1:

Revision 2:
Herald-Alt: Savior HMA revision: (2) TricMagic, Failbird
Plus it eliminates unnecessary extras from the other version, such as the complete re-modelling of the tool, and the wrist computer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:17:17 am by Failbird105 »

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 02, 2019, 10:22:09 am »

Revision 1:
Workman Overhaul Package: (4) Taricus, TricMagic, Failbird, Elvish Miner

Revision 2:
Herald-Alt: Savior HMA revision: (3) TricMagic, Failbird, Elvish Miner

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 02, 2019, 01:20:07 pm »

Revision 1:
Workman Overhaul Package: (5) Taricus, TricMagic, Failbird, Elvish Miner, Doomblade
Legacy of Terra Enhancement Package: (0)

Revision 2:
Savior Upgrade, Savior Herald: (0)
Herald-Alt: Savior HMA revision: (4) TricMagic, Failbird, Elvish Miner, Doomblade

Outfit:
Panzer-Grenadier-Battalion "Donnerschlag": (1) Taricus
TR ESAT: (1) Doomblade
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:44:44 pm by Doomblade187 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 02, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »

Right... Now to outfits. What do we have?

TR ESAT [Division]
Favoured equipment: Teamsters, SPGs, IFVs, Workman's
Methods of engagement: TR ESAT is the core of every TR operation, quickly establishing supply lines, infrastructure, and fortifications. They also provide long range fire support for the frontline, and shuttle construction gear and men to and from the front to cement our gains.

This is only if we design the workman or the SPADE, obviously. That said, having a group dedicated to defending the front with fortifications and reinforcements has obvious benefits.

Okay, reposting my outfit idea here
Quote from: Outfit
Panzer-Grenadier-Battalion "Donnerschlag"
Favoured Equipment: Tanks, IFVs, SP-Artillery.
Methods of Engagement:
-Strategic: Strategically, the Donnerschlag battalion is used as a spearhead unit, breaking through the weakest point in the enemy lines in order to encircle and cut off an enemy strongpoint. Using it's superior firepower, protection and mobility afforded to it as an armoured unit, it is capable of chewing through an enemy line in short order.
-Tactical: The Donnerschlag Battalion is relatively flexible, given the armoured units the unit possesses and the support options available.
Fluff: (Blank for now, but feel free to come up with some stuff guys, and I'll chuck it here.)

Hmm...

Spoiler: From Core, OP, Outfits (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Outfit Template
Name of Outfit:
Equipment Specialization:
Pref. Method of Engagement:
Pref. Combat Tactics:

Fluff

I'll leave this here for now.

Quote from: Outfit
Name of Outfit: (Needs name, currently using They as placeholder.)

Equipment Specialization: Heavy Assault[Class]/weapons, Sniper Rifles/Personal Movement Assistance/Cloaks, Medical. [Use of all area support options and info.(Not in Outfit)]

Strategy of Outfit: Anti-Order of Enemy Forces. They are the ones who enter the front lines, using gathered data to strike holes in an enemy line and annihilate them. Their basic strategy involves artillery being called in to strike the enemy force in the open, while moving in to strike an opening in the front lines. To this manner, all basic squads have 1 medic, with larger deployments making use of multiple. Strike forward, disrupt, and take the hits. Hit back harder. In addition, during wide scale combat, infiltrators using sniper rifles strike at enemy commanders when possible to cause even more disorder in enemy lines.
End result, panic the enemy and take the area down with planned actions designed to completely obliterate command structures and enemy lines.

Pref. Method of Engagement: Blitzkrieg, The Lightning War. Strike to disrupt the enemy completely, and finish them in many strikes, one by one. Effectively, ambush tactics, disruption of enemy lines, and opening creation. Support deals heavy blows while they break apart their targets and destroy them. Allies can take advantage of this to push forward.

Pref. Combat Tactics: While not always needed, all units are trained in disarming and stunning their opponents quickly in CQC, as well as spotting enemy tactical movement and morale/rallying points. Breaking these are often key to routing an enemy force, or disrupting it, and is done during the initial Blitz.
 In cases where the initial strikes fail to achieve their objective, and the enemy begins/manages to reorganize, standard operating procedure is to call in strikes on them and retreat behind ally lines. If they chase, preparations will be ready to counter them at planned points, opening up an opportunity to deal one final blow.
In cases where the area is not open, decide between regrouping, or move to key points and sabotage the enemy. Guerrilla Warfare should always be the backup plan in worst case scenarios .

Fluff: (nothing for now.)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:56:48 pm by TricMagic »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Prewar 5 Strategy Phase)
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2020, 06:12:56 pm »

Prewar 5 Revision Phase

Proposal: "Workforce" Overhaul Package
Difficulty: Very Hard
Results: (4+3) (6+1)-2=5, Below Average

The Workforce proved to be quite the resource sink, taking an embarrassing amount of time and money to get close to where we want it.

The largest improvement we could make was the deconstruction of a small range of select inorganic materials. While not the most precise process, it can quite literally clear the way for construction of inspection-passable fortifications, bunkers, and buildings. The "snap-to" ability is extremely limited, allowing walls and the like to be built together, but only in-line or at right angles and at the edges. Building interior walls or connecting pieces at odd angles still requires a large amount of human oversight. Blueprints for rapid deployment of structures come in Square Building and Bigger Square Building. The manufactory has been tweaked so that the final products of construction are fairly consistent in their material properties.

Although improved, the cost of production for a single Workforce is relatively massive, so while it's functionality will see more willingness to use it, it maintains it's (VERY EXPENSIVE) cost.

Proposal: Herald-Alt: Savior HMA Revision
Difficulty: Hard
Results: (2+2) (4+1)-1=4, Poor

The Savior, as explicitly outlined during it's designing period, was meant to be a larger two-handed healing device. Some of our engineers seem to want an entirely different piece of equipment and should probably try talking to the Design Bureau instead of the Revision Teams about that.

The Herald is capable of linking to an OmniVisor Helmet in lieu of a wrist-mounted interface, though the HUD does get a little crowded. The wrist-based system is still included with the entire package, as while OVHs are common among our forces, there is still the potential that Medics are deployed without one.

Moving a majority of the components from the tool to the now-larger pack was left undone, as that would be akin to moving the firing pin from a gun to, say, your boot.

Connecting the OVH to the Herald's pack directly also comes with it's share of issues - namely somewhat restricted range of motion lest the Medic disconnect the two, as well as exposed dangling cable prime for being snagged on the environment.

The expanded pack at least functions somewhat as intended, taking up even more space than the weapon already did to provide around double the healing capacity without affecting charge time.

The Herald not only restricts the use of a primary weapon, but also takes up an Auxiliary slot thanks to the weight of the larger pack for improved healing capacity. The Herald is not the most well-received piece of equipment, leaving it at the Savior's same cost of (VERY EXPENSIVE).

----------------

The battle for the government contract is about to begin. Before our troops are deployed to their first mystery battlefield we still have a couple things to decide:

We need to finalize our specialized Outfit as outlined in a large number of places.
We also need to decide on the Loadouts for our Certified soldiers for this turn. Loadouts can be adjusted each strategy phase.

IT IS NOW THE STRATEGY PHASE.

Spoiler: TR Armory (click to show/hide)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Prewar 5 Strategy Phase)
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2020, 06:15:33 am »

Loadout Plan A:

Spoiler: Infiltrator (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Light Assault (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heavy Assault (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Medic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Engineer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pilot (click to show/hide)

And Outfit idea:
Panzer-Grenadier-Battalion "Donnerschlag"
Favoured Equipment: Tanks, IFVs, SP-Artillery.
Methods of Engagement:
-Strategic: Strategically, the Donnerschlag battalion is used as a spearhead unit, breaking through the weakest point in the enemy lines in order to encircle and cut off an enemy strongpoint. Using it's superior firepower, protection and mobility afforded to it as an armoured unit, it is capable of chewing through an enemy line in short order.
-Tactical: The Donnerschlag Battalion is relatively flexible, given the armoured units the unit possesses and the support options available.
Fluff: (Blank for now, but feel free to come up with some stuff guys, and I'll chuck it here.)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28