Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Turn 5 Revision Phase)  (Read 27396 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votebox
Teamster Armoured Logistics Transport: (4) NUKE9.13, Elvish Miner, Maxim, Failbird
TR Repair Tool v2: (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Failbird, Maxim
Wasp Upgrade: TR Shield Generator: (2) Elvish Miner, TricMagic,

So uh, update from the discord. The shield revision as it was written is not really feasible, certainly not with a single revision at least.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:45:02 pm by Failbird105 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For anyone not in Discord:

The shield upgrade is almost impossibly ambitious for a revision. It's taking a personal shield generator and turning it into one made for vehicles while also greatly increasing the shield's strength and stating it's supposed to be activated indefinitely.

I've been pushing corrections onto the team for various extremely overreaching proposals to ensure your start isn't hampered by anything other than poor rolls, but before the end of the first turn I've already done enough to practically be considered a member of the team.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might help if the answer was not more nanites... Strike it then, the other two will be done.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wasp Defense/Offense Improvement:
The Wasp is, quite simply, not particularly fit for service as is. Yes it's fast, but not really fast enough that the typical fighter method of 'minimize damage by not getting hit' is viable, and so it needs armor. We've chosen to take the more conservative estimate, and so are increasing its armor to 15mm all around. Particularly important areas however, such as the engines, and cockpit, will be given a full 20mm of armor. In addition to the added armor, we've also elected to equip the Wasp with a pair of rocket pods like the Osprey, one on each wing.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Teamster Armoured Logistics Transport: (5) NUKE9.13, Elvish Miner, Maxim, Failbird, Taricus
TR Repair Tool v2: (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Failbird, Maxim
Wasp Upgrade: TR Shield Generator: (2) Elvish Miner, TricMagic,
Wasp Defense/Offense Improvement: (1) Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something I just asked in Discord, but I figure it'd be good to ask it in the thread as well:

NUKE9.13 Today at 1:24 PM
So, like, what are we aiming for, doctrine-wise? It occurs to me that an emphasis on transports suggests more of a blitz-style strategy, which I'm not sure meshes well with using deployable defences? You either focus on taking ground or holding it- obviously both are important, but you can't be a master of both.
failbird105 Today at 1:26 PM
My own personal intention from the beginning was effectively to bring our own fortresses to the battlefield. Whether we had to build them on site or made ones that move.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever. I do think it's important that we establish this, though, so we have a goal to work towards, rather than ending up with a disparate mess of equipment that doesn't work well together.

The truck will be good for pretty much any strategy. The repair tool does push us down a certain direction, a little... I mean, I say that, but I don't know how important engineers are in the setting. Maybe they're always good?

Actually, thinking about it, the Wasp upgrade is more likely to benefit from things we develop in subsequent turns. It's a more flexible choice, but... I think I'll stick with the repair tool for now.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The repair tool I think is something we can do much better in an actual design, since that just lends itself to our vehicular forces in general and we can more likely get a better and cheaper one in a design.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sniper Ammo, New Types: Explosive, Impact, Piercing, Incendiary.
While our gear is important, so is the type of ammo we can use. This proposal is for new types of sniper ammo for the Imperator Sniper Rifle.

Explosive: A bullet that uses nanites as the primer for the explosion, and it's explosive material within. When the bullet hits, it hits with the force of a concentrated grenade, damaging the immediate area around the target. Meant for taking down Aircraft in their routes or damaging the wheels/ delicate important parts on vehicles. Do to the concentration of the explosion, not well suited for single human targets that can dodge or use a shield, the explosion doesn't reach that far.

Impact: A bullet that uses nanites as the primer for an explosion, this explosion generates a shockwave forward on impact to wash past the target. This shockwave is strong enough to kill anyone not behind cover, and even those close behind the impact point of the bullet. Doesn't deal any other type of damage to the area, besides the shockwave and the normal part of a piece of metal striking at high speeds. May cause rocksides/avalanches, due to being a vibration.

Piercing: Long used by humans. A Bullet designed to pierce through layers of armor and bulletproof glass to reach the target inside.  Standard for Sniping single targets.

Incendiary: Long used by humans. This type of bullet is designed to start fires on/in whatever it hits. Acts like a normal bullet for the most part. Makes treatment difficult as it cauterizes the wounds, but that same property makes it unsuited to anything other than sabotage, given others are better for killing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:44:27 am by TricMagic »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something I just asked in Discord, but I figure it'd be good to ask it in the thread as well:

NUKE9.13 Today at 1:24 PM
So, like, what are we aiming for, doctrine-wise? It occurs to me that an emphasis on transports suggests more of a blitz-style strategy, which I'm not sure meshes well with using deployable defences? You either focus on taking ground or holding it- obviously both are important, but you can't be a master of both.
failbird105 Today at 1:26 PM
My own personal intention from the beginning was effectively to bring our own fortresses to the battlefield. Whether we had to build them on site or made ones that move.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever. I do think it's important that we establish this, though, so we have a goal to work towards, rather than ending up with a disparate mess of equipment that doesn't work well together.

The truck will be good for pretty much any strategy. The repair tool does push us down a certain direction, a little... I mean, I say that, but I don't know how important engineers are in the setting. Maybe they're always good?

Actually, thinking about it, the Wasp upgrade is more likely to benefit from things we develop in subsequent turns. It's a more flexible choice, but... I think I'll stick with the repair tool for now.
I though we already settled on a blitzkrieg doctrine?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NUKE9.13 Today at 8:59 AM
@TricMagic increasing the calibre (and changing the measurement to the objectively inferior imperial system) would be a revision in itself, probably. MoP will probably become exasperated if you try to bundle new ammo types together with that. I'd suggest doing just the new ammo types. I mean, I don't think a slightly better sniper rifle is called for right now... especially not one that isn't actually better, since I just noticed that you downgraded it to single rounds for some reason

The post above I now address. Do you just want to focus all in in the Heavy/Light Assault class of combat? We do not have all that much to revise at the moment that does not seem to be better suited to a design phase.

Those two classes are not all their is to combat. The rounds I posted for our Snipers means we have a wide variety of options to respond to the enemy before they even get to us, which can make them weaker. The Explosive Round, good for tearing up aircraft on a supply run. Or destroying treads and wheels on a supply vehicle on the ground. that forces them to waste time. And less supply to the front means weaker opposition for the blitzkrieg tactic.

The Piercing round means we can take out commanders and heavy assault units before they even relize to put their shields up, also helping a blitzkrieg tactic in ambush scenarios. Impact also works well after the first shots have been fired for killing that way, as a direct shot is not absolutely needed to kill. It may even go past the basic shield type as well, since a mesh still lets shock-waves trough to a degree, so a direct hit would kill them anyway.

Incendiary is your standard thing, and burning supplies and setting off ammo depots also weakens the front to blitzkrieg tactics.

Finally, if we aren't doing Infil focus, actually given those who are Infil units a way to contribute to the style is useful. That and the addition of a revision phase to these ammo types improves our chances of placing new ammo in a design phase later on, without having to sneak it in to prevent difficulty spikes. The Ammo is also a simple-ish thing to do as well, so a great roll will be a nice bonus.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Teamster Armoured Logistics Transport: (5) NUKE9.13, Elvish Miner, Maxim, Failbird, Taricus
TR Repair Tool v2: (3) NUKE9.13, Failbird, Maxim
Wasp Upgrade: TR Shield Generator: (1) Elvish Miner,
Sniper Ammo Types(1) TricMagic

I note the reason in the post above. Also something about being able to do a design for a Better Repair Tool.. So that would leave something open, why not get a jump start on some ammo. Makes writing them in later a lot easier on us if we have a baseline.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grígora Assault Tank

Based on the idea that the better supported force wins, the Grígora Assault Tank is a is a variant of the Renderer. It still has the the 35 mm armor, and is still capable of transversing favorable terrain at about 70km/h. What sets it apart from it's sibling is it's loadout.

It carries a tank crew, two 23 mm turrets on it's forward shoulders, and one 96 mm Cannon for firing upon enemy positions. The turrets only have 140 degree mobility, mostly focused on the front and sides, and are controlled by the two gunners in the troop compartment. The Cannon is loaded from the inside as well, and from the outside, has a curved top with the cannon sticking out forward. The Driver can manipulate it's aim by 45 degrees from it's base position, and can raise it by up to 30 degrees.

Ammo feeds for the turrets and ammo for the cannon are stored in the ammo compartment in the sides. It only carries it's crew, but it will prove a valid response to supporting our infantry on the front.

Hawk VTOL Transport:
 Varient of the Osprey VTOL Transport, it no longer has the portable Revivication Chamber. which makes the Osprey so expensive, and opens up room. Good for clearing a landing sight, setting down men and/or supplies, and heading off. Rockets can be reloaded in the field once set down on the ground.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:50:59 pm by TricMagic »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fucking hell, I'm an art master....

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Elvish Miner, is there a reason you're sticking to the shielded wasp revision? If there isn't, you might want to change your vote to something else, given the difficulty of it.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TR Repair Tool v2: (4) NUKE9.13, Failbird, Maxim, Elvish Miner
Wasp Upgrade: TR Shield Generator: (0)
Sniper Ammo Types(1) TricMagic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28