Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Turn 5 Revision Phase)  (Read 27449 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Prewar 2 Design Phase)
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2019, 10:00:34 pm »

Prewar 1 Revision Phase

Proposal: Teamster Armoured Logistics Transport
Difficulty: Trivial
Result: (6+3)+4=13, Unexpected Boon

An extremely obvious necessity, and a doubly vital one if we're to express our ability to arm an entire front to the UPA, is a supply transport. We have fulfilled this need by stripping the Renderer down, reducing it's armoring to 15mm, and replacing it's seats with hooks to secure men and cargo. We've also managed to reduce the size of Ammo Fabricators at the larger facilities and installed said Fabricators within a trailer that can be towed by the Teamster. With the guts stripped out transport capacity doubles to 16 men and women crammed within. Speed of the Teamster jumps to 95km/h without the trailer, and the heavy Fabricators within drop it back to the Renderer's base speed.

Cargo within can be accessed (and infantry can disembark) through the sides of the Teamster's cargo bay, which swing upward at the command of the driver or a button within the hold. A hatch is installed where the turret used to sit, allowing easy access through the top - or an emergency exit.

The Teamster is considered (EXPENSIVE).

Proposal: TR Repair Tool v2
Difficulty: Easy
Result: (6+1)+1=8, Average

Another common sense upgrade to the Terrestrial Reserve arsenal, the TR Repair Tool v2 is a useful piece of equipment, if a little unwieldy. The v2 adds an additional nanite generation chamber as well as a liquid cooling system. The additional components mean the tool, with a body nearly twice as wide as the original, is more likely to smack against things in the field during a combat situation, and while it doesn't happen all too often tool can be damaged from impacts. It does manage to repair faster than the original, however once the Engineer is out of liquid cooling cartridges it'll heat up very quickly. An Engineer can be supplied with Extra Cooling Cartridges as a piece of Auxiliary Equipment to increase efficacy of the tool even further.

The TR Repair Tool v2 is still considered VERY EXPENSIVE and is only usable by Engineers.
Extra Cooling Cartridges are considered EXPENSIVE and are only equippable by Engineers.

----------------

INCOMING ALERT

You are in your second DESIGN PHASE. Once again you have two designs to vote on, however some noted the absence of the MAX class available in PS2. This was intentional! Instead of forcing Exoskeletons on everyone, you are being asked instead to use one design to create a special class for your team. This means both defining the role of the class on the battlefield, as well as creation of it's basic class-defining equipment! I will aid teams in figuring out what they can work with, to a point. The special Class design will be slightly easier than normal and will also be granted a reroll as if it had received a Research Credit.

Spoiler: TR Armory (click to show/hide)

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reposting for this phase. I want our troops to have some sort of ordinance to relly on if the sky is to hectic for our CAS to help out.

"Hail" Artillery Piece
The "Hail" is a 105mm Artillery Piece that is mounted on a basic artillery carriage which can be towed into position by our Teamster transport which also carries the rounds the gun will be using. It can target enemy fortifications and vehicles destroying them with high precession fire directed by a artillery gun commander. It works with a 4 man crew of a Gun Commander/Director, a man to work the targeting scope and two loaders. A small baggage trailer can be dragged with it to carry multiple types of shells including a HE shell for infantry positions, a HEAP shell if encountering a armored vehicle and a flak shell if the situation demands though is not recommended.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:06:40 am by Maxim_inc »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TR Special Class: Pilots
The brave men and women of the Terrestrial Reserve who pilot are a class unto their own; some of the best drivers, pilots and vehicle crew in known space, TR prides itself on the quality of it's personnel and the training programmes that enable them to be the best in their field.

TR Neurohelmet (Pilot Class Item) Considered to be the cutting edge equipment that makes TR's pilots superior to their NC or VS counterparts, the TR Neurohelmet enables our pilots to directly control their vehicles via thought, the system is based on brainwave sensors and processors based in the helmet which hook into the vehicle's computers to vastly improve responsiveness and accuracy of any controlled weapons and the vehicle's motive systems.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votebox
TR Special Class: Pilots(1) TricMagic

Neurotransmitters. Bit high tech.

Terrain Management Operating Systems
If there is one thing that sets the pilots of Terrestrial Reserve apart, other than their training, it's the Terrain Management Operating System. We use Radars that can be attached to any vehicle we own, or just out in the field. These radars create a map of the terrain and mark down any units or items that vary from the terrain, offering a clear map of the terrain, ground, sea, and sky.

This helps our pilots make calls on routes, direct their fire, determine where the enemy is, and just generally get the info they need to perform at peak capacity.

Vehicle Mounted Radar can be turned on and off, and every piece contains a transmitter for receiving updated maps and sending info they on the terrain real-time. Aircraft have a modified system for gathering data on the ground terrain, and can detect air units.

Area Radar is placed in key positions, and transmits a map of the area it is placed in, including enemy movements. Also acts as a part of the network.

All units carry transponder tags to determine themselves as allies, and these codes can be changed for different situations, including preventing enemy Infil using them.  These tags let the Operating System determine ally tags and group info.

Effectively, this Operating System is one of the reasons why our Pilots outclass the enemy. Real-time info and knowing where to strike allow them to move insanely quickly, and the overall greatly improve their coordination with our allies. For the Pilots who carry our army on their backs, it is the perfect system for planning transport routes, communications, and targeting.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:07:59 am by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Terrain Management Operating Systems
We assuredly already have... all of that.
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Bulldog is a multi-role VTOL aircraft and has been seen used for transporting passengers and cargo. Including the two crew members typically needed to operate the aircraft, it can carry at least five passengers and a moderate amount of personal equipment while still being able to carry an under-slung load of several thousand kilograms.

It has three variants of itself, though I start by describing the Bomber and Missile types. Both Bomb and Missile systems(for the relevant type) are loaded into the sides where the panels are, and open during flight to unleash their payload. A notable ability is to re-slot missiles midflight through an on-board tube that generally starts filled so to slot in new ammo. This also applies to the bomber variant in need of multiple targets, though the use this for the bombing before being reloaded onto the next bombing run.

All three types carry a nose mounted 20 mm Gatling Gun. The third variant is the Gunner Type. Rather than missile and bomb sections in the sides, they instead carry fabricators that produce 20 mm bullets for the guns mounted into those very sides. The VTOL's maneuverability is the aiming, and strafing runs are common.

Beyond the variants, the Bullhead has thick armor good enough to shrug off heavy arms fire, mostly due to the use of jet engines in it's wings, and has four deploy-able landing legs around it's bottom. It's a difficult plane to fly, but good for a number of purposes.

Additional Notes: Entry is on the sides through doors that slide in and back to open. Panels for the Bomber and Missile types open down < /--- /--- /--- ) to help keep aerodynamics stable, and the missiles have a simple tracking system to go with a targeting system in the plane itself. Overall, the plane itself is simple to build, it's the engines, twin jets/wings and tubes that need attention. Note, Thickness of the arms is not to be as shown unless you actually manage that somehow... Arms of the wings need to be structurally sound. Just the concept image.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:34:48 am by TricMagic »

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think we should use our special class to determine if we are going with a blitz doctrine, or a fortress on the frontlines combat style. If its the former, pilots might be a good option. If it is the latter, I think we should go with a class and equiptment that assists in erecting fortifications and setting up turrets.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:44:27 pm by Elvish Miner »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think we should use our special class to determine if we are going with a blitz doctrine, or a fortress on the frontlines combat style. If its the former, pilots might be a good option. If it is the latter, I think we should go with a class and equiptment that assists in erecting fortifications and setting up turrets.

That's what I've been trying to push on the discord, but it seems that everyone wants a super-pilot. We have the ability to create almost whatever we want and we are creating a guy with some better reflexes and giving him gear we can make standard issue in a few design phases if we want to. I personally think that this is a waste of a special class and that we should focus on a MAX or something similar to it that can be walking support for our troops. Not some guy who can just fly a little better than the other pilots.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, it's not set in stone. I kinda don't want to do a MAX or equivalent, just because that's the default and kinda boring, but if you have another idea, I'm willing to consider pretty much anything.
I like the Pilot idea cos it'd make all our vehicles better. They'd be like having Tereshkova the Magic Air General, you know?
Long Live United Forenia!

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, right now all it is it just a better pilot. That's not that big or special of a class. My PC gets out of the shop tommorow and I'll write something up if I can get it set up in time.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it is the latter, I think we should go with a class and equiptment that assists in erecting fortifications and setting up turrets.
We already have that, it's the engineer.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it is the latter, I think we should go with a class and equiptment that assists in erecting fortifications and setting up turrets.
We already have that, it's the engineer.

Well, yes, but also no. Less 'guy with a shiny drill putting together Ikea furniture' and more 'guy in a robotic exo-suit lifting thick metal plating out of a Teamster to set up a bunker.'

I'm personally leaning towards the pilot class. It might give us an advantage when the opposing forces try to develop mines or flak cannons to counter our vehicle superiority, and there is nothing stopping us from going with fortresses on wheels in the future.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:23:23 pm by Elvish Miner »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel that with nanites, super-heavy tanks are definitely an option that's worth considering. If it's an utter failure then that's fine, we can just cancel production and call it quits on that design tree.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nanities aren't magic. Structural Support, Engine necessity, ammo production. At this point, not right now.

Granted, I want the Bullhead to be the design for this turn, since we are doing pilots, having something that fills multiple roles would be nice.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nanities aren't magic. Structural Support, Engine necessity, ammo production. At this point, not right now.

Granted, I want the Bullhead to be the design for this turn, since we are doing pilots, having something that fills multiple roles would be nice.
Nanites will help easy production based on the fact that we can print the parts needed. Will it be easy? No. Will it be better than making them in a factory from raw materials? Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28