Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: WarBiz Arms Race // Terrestrial Reserve Thread (Turn 5 Revision Phase)  (Read 27462 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, yes, but also no. Less 'guy with a shiny drill putting together Ikea furniture' and more 'guy in a robotic exo-suit lifting thick metal plating out of a Teamster to set up a bunker.'

I'm personally leaning towards the pilot class. It might give us an advantage when the opposing forces try to develop mines or flak cannons to counter our vehicle superiority, and there is nothing stopping us from going with fortresses on wheels in the future.
I mean, I'm pretty sure we can just assemble stuff in field with Nanites, I think MoP said something to the effect when Nuke wrote up a design for a portable turret. At least we can for the turrets and such, actually making the bases is another question.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votebox
TR Special Class: Pilots (2) TricMagic, Elvish Miner
"Hail" Artillery Piece (1) Elvish Miner

Both Bullhead and Hail are excellent choices, and I'll vote for whichever one ends up being higher.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:56:37 pm by Elvish Miner »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TR Special Class: Pilots (2) TricMagic, Elvish Miner
"Hail" Artillery Piece (1) Elvish Miner
Bullhead VTOL Bomber/Assault Craft(1) TricMagic

Both Bullhead and Hail are excellent choices, and I'll vote for whichever one ends up being higher.

Bullhead is the better for pilots. We can just use a revision on our Renderer/Teamster designs. The Teamster normally drags trailers right? It isn't that far to creating a mobile Artillery trailer. Which is what most of the Hail boils down to in the first place. The renderer is going to end up the Panzer of our forces... It is an amazing base platform for a lot of things.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TR Special Class: Pilots (3) TricMagic, Elvish Miner, Taricus
"Hail" Artillery Piece (2) Elvish Miner, Taricus
Bullhead VTOL Bomber/Assault Craft(1) TricMagic
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Special Class Design
TR Special Class - Pilots: (4) TricMagic, Elvish Miner, Taricus, NUKE9.13
  TR Neurohelmet (Pilot Class Item): (4?) TricMagic, Elvish Miner, Taricus, NUKE9.13

Regular Design
"Hail" Artillery Piece: (3) Elvish Miner, Taricus, NUKE9.13
Bullhead VTOL Bomber/Assault Craft: (1) TricMagic

So, I've added the Neurohelmet to the votebox, but I'm not entirely sure whether everyone voting for the Pilot class also intended to vote for the helmet- there is also Tric's suggestion (which is a bad suggestion that we shouldn't do, but that's my opinion, and doesn't mean people can't choose to vote for it), so if I've put your vote down for the helmet in error, my apologies.

I'm voting for the artillery piece, even though it doesn't look like the source has artillery- it would make a FPS videogame less entertaining, but this game does not follow the source material exactly, so artillery is probably viable. It reads like a fairly trivial piece of kit, but that sort of fits our equipment theme, of being highly reliable rather than extremely powerful. If I were to suggest changes, it would be making it explicitly as mobile as possible- it should be capable of (being towed at) fairly high speeds through rough terrain, since we don't know what sort of world we'll be fighting on- could be one where roads are scarce and mobility limited, in which case a conventional trailer might not be the best option.

The Bullhead... has a description that starts by calling it the Owl and describing it as a transport. Is it meant to be a multirole transport/bomber? That's a bit of a weird combo. Anyway, if we do Pilots, then we can design vehicles with them in mind, so I'd rather not design a vehicle until we have them.
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oops, that was from before the name shift, edited. Also, why would you design vehicles with them in mind, wouldn't it be the other way round?

under-slung means carried under. And it is a multi-roles, yes. The Heavy armor and enclosed jet engine makes it ridiculously tough to down, and it's abilities to support our men through overwhelming firepower is not to be underestimated.

If I were to make a single version of it though, I'd pick the Missile variant, or failing that, the Gunner variant..

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, why would you design vehicles with them in mind, wouldn't it be the other way round?
Well, equipment designed with a class in mind are generally better, for that class' purposes at least, than stuff for all classes. Uncertified troops will still be able to use it as well as long as it's not absolutely helmet control only.
Granted, I don't know if vehicles can be made class specific.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something that is purely designed to be used by neuro control would be class specific. I would sugget to the one who made the helmet to make it so it can patch in to the OS of our own operating systems and transmit neural commands through itself.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My concern with the neurohelmet is that it seems like a difficult task to design, even with the free design token. I still feel it is our best option, and gives us opportunity for future revisions.

Regarding "Hail," I like the idea of having the Teamsters pull it as a trailer so the poor bastards manning it don't have to carry it around. We can still use our design phase for it and just change the wording to mention it can be towed, as Failbird mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:03:31 am by Elvish Miner »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TR Special Class: Pilots
The brave men and women of the Terrestrial Reserve who pilot are a class unto their own; some of the best drivers, pilots and vehicle crew in known space, TR prides itself on the quality of it's personnel and the training programmes that enable them to be the best in their field.

TR Neurohelmet (Pilot Class Item) Considered to be the cutting edge equipment that makes TR's pilots superior to their NC or VS counterparts, the TR Neurohelmet enables our pilots to directly control their vehicles via thought, the system is based on brainwave sensors and processors based in the helmet which hook into the vehicle's computers to vastly improve responsiveness and accuracy of any controlled weapons and the vehicle's motive systems.

For reference to my post. This is the Current Pliot stuff.

Nanohelmet Information System

The Nanohelmet uses special neurotransmitters to pick up on the pilots brain signals. The System them uses that to process orders, and sends it to the attached veichle via a cable that runs down out of the back helmet into the vehicle. These cables also process information, between the helmet's Hud System, and the vehicle. This Hud, and the connection,allows the Pilot to switch between various readouts and vehicle cameras(if any), as well as any of the other systems in the vehicle. They can then use this information effectively, sending signals via the nanohelmet into the veichle. The HUD of the Nanohelmet is made up of a clear, hard and flexible surface, and nanotech within to showcase the data in the HUD. This also allows them to see out of it, and move the data to the sides of their vision.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:22:20 pm by TricMagic »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New and updated version of the "Hail" to include towing capabilities by the Teamster.

"Hail" Artillery Piece
The "Hail" is a 105mm Artillery Piece that is mounted on a basic artillery carriage which can be towed into position by our Teamster transport which also carries the rounds the gun will be using. It can target enemy fortifications and vehicles destroying them with high precession fire directed by a artillery gun commander. It works with a 4 man crew of a Gun Commander/Director, a man to work the targeting scope and two loaders. A small baggage trailer can be dragged with it to carry multiple types of shells including a HE shell for infantry positions, a HEAP shell if encountering a armored vehicle and a flak shell if the situation demands though is not recommended.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suggest we go with the original TR Neurohelmet, as making it more complex will increase the difficulty.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suggest we go with the original TR Neurohelmet, as making it more complex will increase the difficulty.

More complex? It's more detail than the original proposal, including how the info is sent to the vehicle. Attachable Cable is better than wireless. And if we are already using thought commands, having a HUD in the helmet that the pilot can use to gain data on what the vehicle is doing/it's status is, that's a bit more useful than just this helmet let's you make commands mentally.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Advanced Combat Suit-Special Class (edited)

The ACS is a exoskeleton that is equipped to allow an operator to carry a multitude of weapons using underarm mounting points. It is designed to allow our troops to have the firepower of a tank in an man-sized package.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:18:49 pm by Maxim_inc »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How many things you trying to design in one proposal? That submission would begin and end at exoskeleton with attachment points.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28