Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hermit challenge, how?  (Read 5898 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit challenge, how?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 02:18:14 am »

War also triggers sieges. By default, you’re not at war with the Goblins, brut if you’re in range of them, they will raid you once you reach 80 pop. Buuuut, if you’re at war with another Civ (Usually started in Worldgen, but if you raid another Civ, they declare war on you anyway), they’ll come knicking even if you’re one Dwraf in a hole with nothing but a trifle pewter mug to your name.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 04:11:57 am »

No, they won't until you either provoke them by raiding them, or pass a siege permission trigger. The only trigger enabled in the default raws is the pop one, and it's set at a pop of 80...

On my current fortress I have been keeping my pop low.  On year five I got sieged (said siege at top of screen) with a pop of 42.  13 goblin archers.   I had never sent out a mission or raid.

So maybe there is another trigger other than pop 80 or raiding.

As for this OLD topic would be fun to try a 'Caster's Keep' fortress.

Pretty sure wealth triggers sieges, they usually occur if you build a lot of fancy rooms with nice furniture and/or put in a few artifacts, often well before you are anywhere close to 80 dwarves.  Proximity to goblin civs / necro towers helps a lot, too. 
The default settings have both wealth and trade siege triggers set to 0, i.e. they are disabled, so only the pop trigger is active. It's not hard to change the triggers, though.
It can also be noted that necro towers don't care about siege triggers (I've had them come visit the first summer in several fortresses): They violate the prohibition of the practice of necromancy, so why should they be bothered by minor conventions?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 01:41:09 pm »

I doubt the goblins are held away from your fortress by a sense of decency or "honorable war". I think it's more that they don't care about you until you're big. Necromancers, on the other hand, can use every corpse they get. (Like the shambling corpse of this very thread...)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:19 am »

I have gotten goblin sieges at well under 80 pop without editting any of the triggers, (Siege in the top of the screen), but that may have well been an "ambush".  Ambushes definitely are wealth triggered. 

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 07:16:35 pm »

Question: what do you do to have fun when you are settled? With only 1 or 2 dwarves it is too slow to build things, and survival is never a problem if you seal the door.
Pages: 1 2 [3]