Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golem *science*  (Read 2357 times)

Lupe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Golem *science*
« on: May 17, 2019, 08:19:01 am »

So, I've been trying to build a fully automated golem factory, using the metal melt exploit bug

It's mostly finished, but I've made a few interesting golem discoveries along the way:

1) Golems can be given proficiency in things from the libraries, despite not being able to learn.
This I view as somewhat like programming them, but it does make them massively more useful.

2) Golems produce armour ideally sized for themselves, which is great if you're running a factory for them

3) Golems get unfocussed if they don't have alcohol for too long. I like this, as it makes them *dwarven* golems. I have a golem barkeep per factory burrow that keeps them in alcohol.

4) You can make golems with large Rock gems, made from standard stone at the craftsdwarf. It's much easier than employing hordes of gemcutters

I think the main use I've had for them is as a citizen that doesn't eat, drink or sleep, which helps defenses hugely. My control room is golem run, I have little archer pods containing a single golem and 500 crossbow bolts. A golem diagnosis/surgery team ensures dwarves are treated within minutes. The emotionless bit means I also use them for all corpse hauling and disposal, particularly as magma mist doesn't hurt the iron ones, letting you build very compact incinerators.

I'm considering setting up a minecart based golem archer team, as they can just be left to ride the cart till they run out of ammo

Anyone else got any fun uses for golems?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Golem *science*
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:03:10 am »

Haven't gotten that far, but i will say bravo & also if you can learn the golems equivilent size in the RAW's, in 44.12 you shouldn't be too troubled to create fitting armor without using a specific golem worker by specifying size with 'd' details.

Wouldn't golem wrestlers be better due to having metal exteriors? Punching and dodging really fast by upping their observer skills and letting them loose to loosely grab items to smash people with without fixed weapon velocity might be more powerful than keeping them at range.

Grey977

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:41:11 am »

I cant test myself. But try to assign your golem to guild using guildhall. It may allow you to give them XP boost on profession. And after it repeat training in library. I noticed that dwarfs that assign to guild getting 8 levels instead 5 by using library in accosiated to there guild profession.

Or it may allow them to negate xp debuff and start learning?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 06:04:14 pm »

I cant test myself. But try to assign your golem to guild using guildhall. It may allow you to give them XP boost on profession. And after it repeat training in library. I noticed that dwarfs that assign to guild getting 8 levels instead 5 by using library in accosiated to there guild profession.

Or it may allow them to negate xp debuff and start learning?

Only dwarves have the caste subtypes for guilds im pretty certain, poor humans don't even get direct stat boosts from their own guilds which makes them appear OP by comparison.