Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MLF:FiM - a retro request  (Read 1412 times)

Sytel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MLF:FiM - a retro request
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:05:15 pm »

So I really like Valkidu's My Little Fortress: Friendship is Magma 2.4 (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7264). Yes, I've tried the later versions. They aren't the same. Nobody invades or ambushes, ever. No Unity, no Crows, no diomedian ponies, no chimera ponies, nothing. Even when I play as the diomedians or other traditionally unpopular factions, nobody shows up to siege. And I never really took to the new mechanic where rainbow works like clay-- I always liked making rainbow clothes for everyone.
In fact, I'd say MLF:FiM is my favorite version of DF, period. I've definitely played more of it than any other version. There's just one problem: it crashes a lot. A LOT. Usually when butchering:
-lesser ponies
-zebras
-underground ponies with fur (rodent ponies and batponies seem to be the worst)
-occasional other ponies
-minotaurs (just the head, and just when it's fresh-- if the head isn't fresh, it doesn't crash, but they just keep butchering it over and over and getting it back.)
-star-touched abominations, on the rare occasions when they show up
Which makes it very frustrating to play.
I've taken a look through the raws, but I don't know very much about raws or modding, so I don't know what I should be looking for. I just know that something is very wrong with these entities and their body parts. If anyone knows what might cause this and how to fix it, I would be very happy.
Here's a save file I posted a while back showcasing the problem: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=8544
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MLF:FiM - a retro request
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:10:05 pm »

Ponyfication is cancer, it kill fandomes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:56 pm »

Ironically, MLP:FIM is what really got me into DF, so it also builds fandoms.

Anyway, I'm at work so I can't look at the raws and will probably forget by the time I get home, but didn't the mod do something that disabled meat eating?  Maybe that was Sorcerer's version of it instead, which I think changed something about the tissues so they weren't recognized as meat.  I'd suspect that, but that probably doesn't apply to Valikdu's version of the mod.

Since fresh minotaur heads cause problems where stale (rotten? decayed? skeletal?) heads don't, I do still suspect it's something to do with the tissues.  I'd recommend taking a look at the minotaur raws and compare them to those for dwarves, and cross check to see if new tissues were created or if any of the tissue or material definitions being used are somehow different from the vanilla ones.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:28:53 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sytel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:43:31 pm »

All of the tissues and materials are changed from the vanilla ones, due to the spectral extractor mechanism-- every tissue has something indicating what grade of spectra can be extracted from it. But not all tissues (indeed, not all tissues of any given spectral grade) cause the crashes. I've tried to look at the raws for problematic creatures and similar non-problematic creatures to see what's different about any of their tissues, but nothing immediately jumps out at me as the cause of the problem-- of course, I'm very inexperienced at reading and interpreting raws.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 04:24:33 pm »

Ponyfication is cancer, it kill fandomes.

not helpful

Anyway, Friendship is Magma is from... 0.34.11? And you should be able to just play it in that. Invaders and ambushes were actually more common then. You might also be able to update it, but it's not a particularly easy update path.

Sytel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 04:52:42 pm »

I do play it in 3.14.11-- in fact, the version I use is an all-in-one pack that comes pre-installed. I'm running it exactly as it was intended to be run. It's been crashing like this ever since it first came out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 09:50:10 am »

Oh, ouch. I don't remember any of the common crash causes in 0.34.11, except megabeasts with invalid or no biomes.

Sytel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 06:16:18 pm »

Another thing is coming up in my latest game: murders. Members of the military, who aren't vampires or in any sort of bad mood, keep murdering or seriously injuring non-military people for no reason I can determine. It certainly isn't caused by sparring. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this behavior or how to prevent it?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 11:27:05 pm »

Are there ever combat logs, or do you just find the civilians dead or injured later without any indications of what caused it?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sytel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 03:24:45 pm »

Upon closer inspection, it seems to be an attempt by the military to administer justice to production order violators. Assigning a hammerer (or equivalent) and a chain seems to have fixed it so far, but I'll keep an eye on it.

One interesting thing about the butchering crashes is that they seem, in at least some cases, to be related to necks specifically. Sometimes, when a zebra (and possibly a lesser pony?) dies in such a way that its neck is detached, the main corpse butchers OK but the crash happens when someone tries to butcher the neck. Is it something about the mane?