Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

DFHack can raise the cap on animals. How many ducks can we handle?

50 (Normal)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 2 (18.2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 5 (45.5%)
- 0 (0%)
Unlimited Duckage
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 26, 2019, 07:50:41 pm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!  (Read 40725 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »

I think if another overseer would like to pick up Duck Fortress from the most recent save, they should. There's a lot of adventures the ducks could be having now!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2019, 05:59:39 pm »

I am claiming a turn! I took a look at the save without having read the thread at all . . surprisingly, for a 9-turn succession game, this fortress makes a lot of sense. Thank you for all the notes and whatnot! Expect ducks updates today and throughout the week.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is anyone who has followed the thread closely willing to write a summary of the events so far? I will review the thread anyways, but having it boiled down for thread lurkers is a good thing.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2019, 09:03:56 pm »

I am claiming a turn! I took a look at the save without having read the thread at all . . surprisingly, for a 9-turn succession game, this fortress makes a lot of sense. Thank you for all the notes and whatnot! Expect ducks updates today and throughout the week.

Is anyone who has followed the thread closely willing to write a summary of the events so far? I will review the thread anyways, but having it boiled down for thread lurkers is a good thing.

Woohoo! A new duckverseer!

Huh, a summary?

I'll try to summarize what I think happened. So, first it was all like, quack quack quack:

On the 9th of Sandstone, our first set of ducklings hatch. Wavebirds celebrates the birth of the great little waddlers.

Then quack! Quack,

Can i be ducked as one of the original ducks
DFHack has commands for that. 'rename unit "name"' and 'rename unit-profession "name"'

I should make all the ducks adoptable. Either that or get a trainer to train 'em. Do you guys wanna be hunting ducks or war ducks?

And quack! (epic, heroic) QUACK!

Then quack, and quack

I drew a duck on a post-it.

Hopefully I'll get a bit better before my turn.

Quack, quackquack.

"Quack quack."

"QUACK!"

I look at the duckverseer. The duckverseer looks at me.

"Quack. Quack quack quack. Quack."

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Things got a little quack, when quack quack:

Hello !
My name is Sprig. I'm a dwarf. But unlike many others, I have a special trait.

Can you spot it ?

Yes that's it.

I have an irrationnal love for ducks !

I just don't know why. I can't help it. I just have a passion for the little buggers !

Maybe it's their cute little eyes !
Maybe the sound of the quacks they make ! Maybe the way they waddle around...
Maybe it's the fact they are so round, and feathered, and seem so soft ! Ducks are so cool, and they can even fly ! and....

Listen... I just love ducks. Okay ?

---
My mission is to make sure ducks are treated the way they should.
Ducks must not lack anything. The duckverseer counts on me.

Quack next, because QUACK!

Like ! Seriously !!! Who is this self-claimed "Mayor" who owns a whole layer for himself ?!!

Why doesn't our mighty duckverseer have his personnal quackers, I mean quarters ?

---

I end the inspection there.
I can't handle more of this absurdity.

We created a fortress for DUCKS, not dwarves !
I start understanding why I got appointed.

It is time things change.
It will be for the best.
I have a lot of work to do...

Also quack, quack!!

But then quack, quaaaa  :'(

Year 9, 01-01: :(

A day that will be mourned forever in Wavebirds. Day 1 of Year 9 was the day Duckylord, Paddling Patriarch, left us. He was found peacefully at rest, having quacked his last.

And finally, quaaaaaaaAAAAaaAAAAACK!  :o

there must now be an annual festival in reverence to its arrival. The 28th of Slate is now the Day of the Duck.

Yeah, no quack. That quack really quacked.

Should be clear now. You got this! Good duck!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:37:29 pm by gchristopher »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2019, 07:29:28 pm »

Oh, actual notes:

- petcapRemover cap N    <-- was used to increase duck populations. Didn't work for me, maybe too many hatchlings?
- Past overseers have used popcap for FPS saving purposes.
- Looks like each overseer left a duck Easter egg or two that aren't mentioned in the posts.
- The duckzilla FB was 100% random luck. Wow.
- Other than making ducks trainable, the game is vanilla, it's the players that are weird.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:55 pm »

read this to cri evrytim

I guess this is my OOC reaction post? I've gotten a feel for the save, and. . .

HERE'S THE CURRENT UNIT LIST, IN LOVELY GIF FORM:

HERE'S THE CURRENT Z-SCREEN:

HERE'S THE CURRENT METAL BAR STOCK:

WHY DO WE HAVE SO MANY BALLS:

WHY ARE THERE NO LARGE GEMS HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LAVISH DUCKS WITHOUT GIGANTIC SHINY GEMSTONES:

WHO MADE ADAMANTINE COINS OF ALL THINGS:

we only have 78 ducks what is wrong with us.

a cursory glance reveals that we are not collecting any of the eggs in the nest boxes.

The above image shows the majority of nest boxes. Accounting for 9-14 eggs per nest, you can kind of work out that there are no eggs in food storage, only in nest boxes. I believe the dwarves are simply too busy to collect them. If we were to deconstruct and collect all the unfertilized eggs, we might be able to use petcap to get new ducks. Worth a shot, eh?

Anyways sorry about losing that post, I was genuinely proud of it, and it's always a little tough to write something you already wrote, but expect in-character writing soon enough.

oh, and gchristopher thank you! The summary was helpful and I went through picking out good quotes here and there for my turn. If anyone wants a dwarf, let me know!

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2019, 04:56:15 pm »

I must confess I'm guilty for making the adamantine coins. Scrooge McDuck mandated them minted.

I think the eggs are not collected because there are no egg-allowing stockpiles.

And, one last thing : thanks for the summary, and for taking up the save ! Looking forward to reading it
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:00:06 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2019, 11:07:49 pm »

So I made this happen. . .

And then this happened. . .

With the power of gm-editor I can force fertilization. This was done on a test file, however, since I wasn't sure if this kind of editing would be approved of.

Should I begin
of new ducks?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2019, 04:24:20 am »

Do it. This is what this fort is for.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2019, 10:01:54 pm »

Oh, man, Sal's here. Hopefully we can pull more people in here by our powers combined.

We must name a Psycho II. I'm thinkin' he should be a War Waddler.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2019, 01:05:25 am »

Diary of 'Salmeuk' Wingpaints, Chief Medical Dwarf - 9/10, Year 9

Much has happened these past few days, and I must write it all down, lest I forget the order of these things that have occurred.

Vutheni Overeagles the Cave of Echoes, the fire-breathing sauropod, invaded our third cavern layer yesterday. Luckily our masons had the stairs all bricked up and the beast was safely quarantined. So, it was quite the surprise when our chief mechanic and overseer Ezum Sharavuz suddenly abdicated. He didn't say why, though his parting words as he left to his quarters stuck in my mind: "I've had enough of these beasts! It's your problem now."

That night I had strange dreams. I entered the tavern, full of dancing dwarfs, and I sat to watch them. Their movements entranced me, and a prophetic hallucination appeared amongst their spinning bodies. It showed the fortress, the ducks, and our smiths crafting adamantine trinkets. Our miners dug in the warm stone of the deep, and one pierced a vein of teal. From this gash in the earth came flying demons, throwing fire and acidic miasmas. Those demons slaughtered our citizens, tortured our ducks, and collapsed the fortress upon our melting bodies. I awoke crying in horror and covered in sweat! I immediately ran to the temple to pray to Tobul.

As I sat in the stone temple, empty in the early morning, I recalled my dream and asked for guidance. Nothing happened, as nothing should happen - Tobul does not reply. I have said this before and will say it again - merely posing the prayer is the true method of retrieving the answer. As I had prayed, so I would recieve.

I decided to do everything in my power to prevent this vision of catastrophe from ever becoming real. That very morning, once the rest had awoke, I announced my intention to take Ezum's role as overseer. They liked that idea, but there were a few others who also felt they should lead, and soon it became unclear who might take the role. This was no good - I NEEDED that position to make sure we would stay safe.

Then, I lied. I said that the bird brains had come together and performed a secret election to decide Ezum's replacement, and that they had designated me to deliver the results. In reality, the ducks had waddled about the library and pooped on my chair, like they always do. This 'hidden election' was actually a pretty good lie, since it seemed that most of our population believes these ducks to be much more than they really are, and it was almost immediate that I was officially elected and granted access to the manager's task list, the ledger, the census, and the mechanical notes.

That was a few hours ago, and I'm still in shock. I never wanted power, and yet here I am, controller of the destiny of these 90 dwarves and 78 ducks. I cannot believe it. I should take a nap or something, so I'll end it here. But, what am I to do with this power. . . ?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:22:06 am by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2019, 01:11:47 am »

Do it. This is what this fort is for.

voice of mr. meeseeks: "CAN DO!"

Oh, man, Sal's here. Hopefully we can pull more people in here by our powers combined.

We must name a Psycho II. I'm thinkin' he should be a War Waddler.

If you can believe it, I saw this thread all the way back in MAY and, while I really wanted to sign on, I had no time. I was SO so glad to see it pop back up after all this time. Destiny, I suppose.

THIS ANIMAL IS WAITING FOR CONFLICT

I renamed the duck that chased the bear, it seemed appropriate. . do you want a different title?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:15:07 am by Salmeuk »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2019, 02:00:24 pm »

That night I had strange dreams. I entered the tavern, full of dancing dwarfs, and I sat to watch them. Their movements entranced me, and a prophetic hallucination appeared amongst their spinning bodies. It showed the fortress, the ducks, and our smiths crafting adamantine trinkets. Our miners dug in the warm stone of the deep, and one pierced a vein of teal. From this gash in the earth came flying demons, throwing fire and acidic miasmas. Those demons slaughtered our citizens, tortured our ducks, and collapsed the fortress upon our melting bodies. I awoke crying in horror and covered in sweat! I immediately ran to the temple to pray to Tobul.
Hahaha, that's a beautiful way to work in the thread adventures.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2019, 12:59:02 am »

Diary of Salmeuk, Overseer - 9/13, Year 9

A few days have passed.

My first order of business was to check in with all the previous leaders. Not only did I want to glean useful information, but I also felt it prudent to build social connections with powerful people.

First, I talked to Imic, who I knew quite well as we had spent long hours discussing medical procedure and technique.

I ran in to Icy Tea and his horde of maddened warducks. Apparently he was never actually an overseer? Still, a sight to behold.

I met Sprig at the surface keep, near the pastured sheep. He tried to lecture me about lying, and I feel like he might know the truth about the 'hidden election'. . .

I found applet the duckverseer roosting near a golden duck statue. He recognized me with a hearty "Quack!" and puffed out his chest feathers. He looked every part a mortal incarnation of some ancient duck deity.

I saw Travis Bickle across the dining hall and we shared a meal. He wasn't doing very well, apparently, and he spent most of the meal complaining about his miserable life. At the end, though, he perked up and said he really enjoyed being the manager of the fortress, and that it might be one of the few things holding him together.

And to think I had been planning on firing him. . .

------------------------

I was ready to make some changes. I drew up a list of 21 dwarves. Farmers, masons, carpenters, and glassmakers, these dwarves would make up the backbone of Ukarlanlar, "Wavebirds" military. Three squads of equal size were created, Wing Squad Alpha, Wing Squad Beta, and the Pond Guard. Our fighting dwarves were now titled "Wing Rangers," and were each given a quickly-casted steel battle axe. Their equipment is lackluster, but with training and experience they will become fearsome warriors. The Pond Guards train and patrol amongst the ducks.

The new military commander was named. The dwarf who single-handedly killed a rampaging Minotaur. I felt this was appropriate.

Yet, this military draft was not without it's consquences. Certain industries suffered, and a number of existing production lines were ceased. I moved some dwarves away from their craftwork and into the forges. We need the weapons and armor.

I also ordered the jeweler to begin work. I truly appreciate the time it takes to gain skill in the art of gemcutting, and Eshtan Fightfence seemed like the right kind of dwarf to perform the work. I told him he would no longer be bothered with menial chores like hauling and cleaning, and instead he could focus on his craft. Sure enough, a day later, he appeared at my door with a gigantic citrine!

The honeyed yellow jewel gleamed in the torchlight and I felt a wonderous, comforting warmth in my heart at the sight of it's brilliance. I commended Eshtan and ordered our cooks to cook up a great feast!

After the feast, a few dwarfs felt the need to sing and put on a performance of The Cerulean Incenses. I was entranced by their droning rhythms.

While touring the lower tunnels, I encountered what was perhaps the longest, silliest tunnel I have ever encountered in my 64 years. Props to whatever dwarf dug this thing.

-----------------------------------

My newest idea,  is to reformulate our entrance. I propose to move it north about 4 squares, and the new ramp would lead directly into the eastern wall of our most beautiful duck temple.

By doing this, we can centralize our defenses and also clean up the mess that is the current trade depot:

To re-dig the entrance is always dangerous, so care will be taken to maintain our defenses. I also have plans to centralize our levers, as the current hodgepodge of control mechanisms has us CONSTANTLY running up and down staircases to find the right switch. I'm not the most athletic dwarf

so we should probably fix this before my heart fails me and I die a sad, lonely death before someone important gets hurt.

---
OOC:

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2019, 01:18:38 pm »

how are these images? Are they too big, too small?

I'm going to slaughter all the sheep and the pigs. . I don't think our FPS can afford too many more ducks and we need to consider the long game. Maybe even expel a few dwarfs if needed.
Looking great so far! I think I probably left the magma elevator running. That and the central waterfall might also cost some FPS. Oh, you do have 3-4 dorfs with stress propensity, and saving them was an effort. I think Imic peaked near 30K stress? Also Tobul E and Kogan U.

Woohoo! Happy to see the duck army. I wasn't able to come up with names for all of them, but "Quackatoa" was definitely my favorite.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2019, 04:46:47 am »

Diary of Salmeuk, Overseer - 10/24, Year 9

A few weeks have passed.

Most of this time has been spent organizing. However, I have seen a few interesting things and want to record them, so that I might read them in my old age and remember this time of my life.

We have a duck living in our treasury, and they are named "Scrooge McDuck."

Can you imagine fullfilling your life goal at the age of 3? Can you imagine having a life goal at that age?

I have, in an overwhelmingly creative style, drafted an image of the purest subject for our craftsdwarves to replicate en mass.

Training is going well. I gave them all cloaks and shields as I'm relying on the 'lightweight but deadly' armament strategy.

We had a fat bee-owl invaded the second layer, and it's been kicking ass ever since. I get why the last overseer left.

-------------

There are some big changes coming to the duck ponds. Big changes.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13