Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

DFHack can raise the cap on animals. How many ducks can we handle?

50 (Normal)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 2 (18.2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 5 (45.5%)
- 0 (0%)
Unlimited Duckage
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 26, 2019, 07:50:41 pm

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!  (Read 40803 times)

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2019, 08:12:42 pm »

Love what you're doing with the place! Is there any soil/grass in the area with the ponds? I was envisioning a lavish garden just full of ducks.

Did you just happen to find Scrooge in there or is he assigned? If he just kinda holed up in there on his own, we should let just a couple more ducks roam around just to see where they end up.

I wish we could assign ducks to nobility, then Scrooge could be a record keeper.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2019, 10:45:41 pm »

Diary of Salmeuk, Overseer - 1/13, Year 10

Three errant marksdwarves migrated today. The one called Eral brought her two children, a pair of brothers.

The elves arrived with their gaudy wooden trinkets and strange caged animals. Out of curiousity, I started talking with their caravan leader, a female elf named (how appropriate) "Elana Carryberries," about how they are able to domesticate and raise such rare beasts. At first the discussion was guarded, I imagine they don't like sharing their secrets, but after I mentioned that we were raising hordes of ducks she brightened up. It was no longer an awkward conversation between elf and dwarf, but instead between two fellow animal caretakers.

She talked about how every elf knows a special herb that grows in a single, sun-shadowed mountain valley to the north.

This herb, when ground to dust and mixed into a paste with the wine made from sun berries, encourages certain, um, reproductive habits in whatever beast might eat it. I asked what might happen if a person was to eat it. She looked at me slyly and said, "That's not for a dwarf to know."

Now, for last few months our caretakers have been complaining about the apparent unwillingness of our ducks to lay fertile eggs. We've tried every trick in the book to get them horny.

More food - ducks got fat and lazy.
More space - ducks ignored each other to explore.
More golden statues (depicting erotic duck escapades) - this has always worked in the past, but apparently the ducks don't give a damn about smut and would rather just eat worms all day.
We even tried sex educkation, where I stood in front of a classroom full of ducks and showed the "ins-and-outs" of the whole babymaking thing. Didn't work, though I can now claim experience in the biological mechanism of duck love. Maybe I'll write a book about it.

After hearing about this animal aphrodisiac I knew we had to get it. I told Elana Carryberries that I would trade anything in the fortress if I could get my hands on this herb.

"Why would I give such a thing to dwarf? That kind of magic is beyond your folk. Besides, the amount we carry is destined for the forest retreat Twilightmurder, who are attempting to grow their herd of giant leopards. Their climate isn't the best for that sort of thing, seeing as they live in the forests of the northern tundra and rarely see the light . ."

I drowned out her talking. There was only one place that shipment was going, and that was straight into the stomachs of our ducks.  And to do that, we needed to 'relieve' the elves of their cargo. One way or another. . .

------------------

When we suddenly withdrew our trader from negotiations, the elves didn't notice or seem to think much of it.

When we started constructing new "doorframes" near the exit of the trade depot, the elves applauded our hard work ethic.

When those doorframes suddenly became walls, the elves felt only the slightest tinge of nervousness. An eerie silence fell over the elves, and as their donkeys brayed nervously they talked amongst themselves.

"Should we go?"

"Do you think it's a trap?"

"No, they are obviously still trading since they left all their stuff here."

"But where ARE they? They were here a second ago, and now they're gone."

"Hey, I think this is a trap. We should go."

"What are they going to do? Drown us? You read the reports, this fortress lacks surface water. Remember, dwarves are not magical. There's no way they could bring water up to surface in this region, it's too far. Their idea of a pump is a dude spinning a giant corkscrew."

"They wouldn't kill us because it would mean war. Plus, you've met their broker, he's such a nice guy!"

"I don't really like the guy. He talks about ducks too much, and you saw how he dressed all shabby."

"Man they ALL talk about ducks too much! Something is wrong with this place. We should go."

With a *kerchunk* and a deep GRGRGRGRGRGRgrgrgrgrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeEEEEEEKKKK the granite gate snapped shut, trapping the elves in a black room with no escape in sight. Their fate is best left unrecorded.

Last Known Image of Elven Caravan #1272
---------

I am amazed at how fast the powdered herb worked. I had ordered it mixed in with the usual duck feed. At noon, per the schedule, we fed the ducks and they happily ate up the gruel, magic powder and all. We left them to their business, and lo and behold, today I enter the temple to find this:

A miraculous omen for the new year!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2019, 12:37:46 am »

Fantastic! You, umm, might want to check out the topic of the artwork lining the yellow brick merchant road. It's suddenly... topical.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2019, 05:27:31 am »

Finally ! Achievement get ! Duck babies ! ;D
And I really love how you made the pond area. Very refreshing. Is it 2 layers ? One for water, one for dirt ?

"sex educkation"
-> Ah ah !  That was a nice one :)

@PsychoAngel :
IIRC, there is a pasture for Scrooge only in the coin room.
I'm gonna research if DFhack has a way to "nobilify" pets.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:29:13 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2019, 08:17:33 pm »

Diary of Salmeuk, Overseer - 10/28, Year 10

An uneventful year has passed. . .

Around the third month, our ducklings hatched.

SO MANY DUCKS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This new generation deserved a better home, so over the next few months we dug out a grand basin. Within that basin, we constructed a gigantic golden platform in the shape of a duck:

This platform was covered in polished jewels, then the surrounding cavity filled with riverwater:

This took a while:

As the water settled, we ushered the ducklings onto their new island. Here they are, frolicking amongst the glowing gemstones:

--------

I have grown tired of managing this fortress, so I have decided to leave my position as overseer and take up the title of 'Gem Wizard.' I will live at the top of a granite tower, and spend my time writing and contemplating the beauty of the jewel.

Here is where our z-screen stands today:

A nice little detail - Our militia commander named a battleax that 'Imic' made.

The traders as they descend into The Temple of the Duck:

This is a view of our main staircase, from top to bottom:

----

Save file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14628

Everything relevant should be labeled in-game, but PM me if you have questions. .

I don't think it would be a bad time for one of the old overseers to revisit this place. Also, I don't think goblins exist in this world? An issue with the newest versions of DF is not enough bad stuff happens. At least the FPS isn't too bad now that I've cleaned up the place a bit.

I thought about doing something dramatic, but that gigantic duck pond took all my time. Gold bars take FOREVER to haul, and I think I used a couple hundred to build that island.

So, my apologies for the lack of drama - I think I set the stage for whoever wants to pick this up :]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2019, 07:07:06 am »

Thanks again for the updates Salmeuk :)

The duck island looks so great !

I like the little bridge. It could be cool to draw the bridge in order to protect the ducks if something nasty attacks.
But then, the invaders could just swim or shoot the poor birds.
So, we need to find a way to create walls, surrounding the golden island, on demand. Maybe we can use obsidian or cave-ins.
Imagine that, nasties are attacking. The dwarves are almost dead. The ducks are threatened. Our last pull of a lever seals them safe on Gold island for eternity.
Complicated ? Yes. Very much.
Useful ? Absolutely not.
But the coolness level though !

I don't really have time nor motivation to take up the save. Someone else maybe will ?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2019, 09:41:29 pm »

Jeweled island of duck bedazzling is fantastic!

I just had a turn, so I shouldn't go again, especially since my goal was similar, to build up resources and leave the next person with more freedom for things ... like The Isle of GemDucks.

+1 to an obsidianizery wall-dropper to forever safely entomb the ducks. The dwarf bedrooms are right above that area, so that'd be some extra bonus chaos to that plan.

Thanks Salmeuk!

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2020, 04:11:10 am »

IonMatrix gestures! The thread shudders and starts moving waddling!

This was such a good idea. :'( So I necroed this and decided to take a turn.

So, should I use the new version or stick with 44.12? I think it is compatible, but well, who knows?
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2020, 11:30:44 pm »

Alright, I booted up the save in 44.12, since no one answered. I might make a post after familiarizing myself with the fortress. (That's going to be at least tomorrow)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2020, 12:34:16 pm »

Yes ! Another ducks joins the pack !
Any version will do, as long as it has birds in it.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2020, 08:20:08 pm »

Alright, so I got the general idea of the fortress, but where are all the FUCKING LEVERS? Can someone post a picture or something and tell me what they do?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2020, 08:40:07 pm »

Excellent! More duck adventures! I can't even remember what levers I built. Ooh, there was a giant demon duck trapped in a silk farm, I remember that had a bunch of levers. Downloading the current save to see if I can figure any of it out, too.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2020, 09:11:55 pm »

Oh hey! An actual defensive perimeter happened! Wild. There are two bridges leading in, and gui/mechanisms showed me that they're connected to levers on Z93, on the west side of the fortress. The outer defensive bridge is connected to the cinnabar switch. The inner one (by the newly secure trading depot) is connected to the switch labeled "Duck Temple Gate".

Other levers look to still be mostly close to whatever they control. A large number of them seem related to waterworks, cistern filling, waterfall-falling, and fortress flooding. That looks Fun!

Huh, the quantum stockpiles appear to have been abandoned and the stockpiles have grown cancerously. There's some forbidden duck corpses around. Also ominous. Probably should give them a burial or ceremonial stew-making funeral or something?

Looks like the waterfall cistern is running low, and people have been mining in the water supply tunnel? That'll be fun when the refill lever on Z91 needs to be pulled.

Other than that, the levers seem to mostly be close to whatever they toggle. The magma cart spiral and water cistern stuff looks intact, and the levers are pictured here!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2020, 09:52:15 pm »

A new believer appears, to lead the worshipers of the duck to new heights. May your feet get wet, and your bill grow long!

NICE we have a player again! I put so much care into that duck temple, and yet no one died in it, and no battles spilled through the doors and onto the courseway surrounding the pond, and no ducks miraculously survived a fight with a goblin while barely managing to trigger the lever to raise the drawbridge.

IIRC I attempted to construct a central lever room, only to realize there were maybe two? levers worth repositioning. None are disastrous that I can remember.

RE: quantum stockpiles missing. . might have been me. I like to visually manage stockpiles, however inefficient it becomes.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2020, 01:22:56 am »

NICE we have a player again! I put so much care into that duck temple, and yet no one died in it, and no battles spilled through the doors and onto the courseway surrounding the pond, and no ducks miraculously survived a fight with a goblin while barely managing to trigger the lever to raise the drawbridge.

A SOLID GOLD DUCK-SHAPED GEM ISLAND. sooo great. Definitely needs some blood to christen it, though.

Also, with Duck Fortress idle, I just miiiight have been looking at ways to sneak war ducks into pretty much any other community fort that is foolish enough to give me a turn...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13