Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

DFHack can raise the cap on animals. How many ducks can we handle?

50 (Normal)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 2 (18.2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 5 (45.5%)
- 0 (0%)
Unlimited Duckage
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 26, 2019, 07:50:41 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!  (Read 40798 times)

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 01:53:25 am »

I also recently learned that there's a cap on domestic pet populations. DFHack can also help us with that, but how high should I set the number? I know my compy can take some pretty good stress, but I don't wanna overdo it for you guys' sakes.

Suppose I'll make a new poll considering the success the first one had.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2019, 02:36:22 am »

Ee should probably drop the pop cap a bit to make room for framerate and room for ducks. How many do we have now?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 07:23:28 am »

Ee should probably drop the pop cap a bit to make room for framerate and room for ducks.

Decreasing the dwarf pop is a good idea to make room for ducks. 100 dwarves would suffice, I should think? Someone with more lag experience probably want to comment on that number though.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 11:31:03 am »

I find that a functional fortress can be set up with around 70 Dwarves, provided they can multitask.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 02:13:07 pm »

I may not be able to finish today. Got people coming over soonish and I’ve got a lot to do before they get here.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 03:18:29 pm »

Please don't vote for unlimited ducks. Even a couple hundred will strain FPS very much; get to a thousand and you've got one frame per minute unless you stole your processor from CERN.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2019, 11:37:49 am »

Alright, I think I should be good to get Winter done pretty soon here. On the subject of pet caps, I think I'll raise it to 150 for the time being. I will not be able to experience the crowdedness of the ducks since any eggs laid this season won't hatch until Spring, but I think 150 should be prudent enough for the time being. Especially since people seem to want to have 200+.

Expect the first turn's final update in about an hour, give or take, on a separate post.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2019, 01:10:17 pm »

Journal of Expedition Leader PsychoAngel

It is the first of Moonstone, and winter is upon us. There is still much to do, and I may not be able to accomplish everything I wish to before the next overseer takes over.

I noticed some of the ducks are getting rather thin, So I suppose we will have to move them to multiple pastures. I also designate excavation a new pasture near the food stockpile to be used for egg-collection. The surface pasture will be used as a hatchery.

That might do it. Next, I order larger rooms to be dug out below the nobility halls. I know not if we will need this much space, and I hope that we will not.

After that, we must create a temple. All who come here must know the majesty of our feathered friends.
Much marble has already been excavated, but more is required for our grand temple.

Work is slow, and I have my own duties to fulfill. I may need to entrust the temple's completion to the next overseer. As I prepare to step down, I decide that I will take up the profession of animal training. We do not currently have any trainers, and since I'm the only fighter here, I ought to be the one to teach these animals how to fight.

The whole of Obsidian passes without incident. Spring has arrived, and it is time for me to step down.

So here's the plan for the temple: I had several gold statues of ducks made, which I intend to be placed around the staircase and in the corners. After the floors are done, I want the walls to be replaced with marble as well. I need DuckyLord to be pastured in there with four females whose gold nest boxes are to be centered along the walls.  It's a bit difficult to have a multi-layered construction on the central staircase, so I decided to keep it simple. That's my current plan anyway, but it's up to you to decide if that's what you want.
I also didn't really get to training any ducks yet, and the ui won't let me designate specific training. So please fix that if I didn't do something right.

Here is the save, with the lightly modded raw included.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I actually forgot to raise the pet cap during Winter. Oops. The DFHack command for it is petcapRemover cap number
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:54:47 am by PsychoAngel »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 10:38:56 pm »

Alright, so if Travis Bickle doesn't show up after tomorrow evening, I think we'll put him at the bottom of the list and move to IcyTea instead.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 12:23:18 am »

Alright, so if Travis Bickle doesn't show up after tomorrow evening, I think we'll put him at the bottom of the list and move to IcyTea instead.
Don't worry, I'm still around. I'll try to have something out tomorrow, but most of my posts will probably be over the weekend.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 12:29:26 am »

That's fine by me, since I won't be able to play until Wednesday.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 01:28:25 pm »

Don't worry, I'm still around. I'll try to have something out tomorrow, but most of my posts will probably be over the weekend.
Alrighty, I was getting a little worried with the lack of communication.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2019, 09:43:52 pm »

Overseer’s Log
1st Granite, 6

I would like to preface this log by saying that I’m not your average duck lover. Some people migrate to far off lands and strike the earth in search of gold or adventure, but as for myself, I came here because I love ducks. A little over a year ago I was still living in the Mountainhome, busy making my living making wooden furniture when one day a soldier named PsychoAngel approached me with an offer. He said he was putting together a team of duck lovers to found a fortress dedicated to raising ducks. I was sold before he had even finished his proposal.

Right now we’ve been here for almost a whole year. I’ve been working as the manager of the fortress, approving production orders when I’m not fulfilling my duties as a carpenter. I was just sitting here in my office not even five minutes ago now when PsychoAngel strolled in and shoved this book into my hands, saying that I was the overseer now. PsychoAngel had acted as our guard during the journey here and had continued that duty during his overseership, but now it seems like he has aspirations of raising a real militia, and apparently the duties of being overseer are too much to juggle alongside training a small army. He also mentioned something about needing extra free time to take up animal training, and said that he had some sort of special project he was planning. When I asked him what it was, he didn’t say anything, but just grinned deviously.

All right, I guess I’m overseer now, but I have other work to do for a while. Before he left I asked PsychoAngel for the stockpile records from the past year to look over. His response was to just raise his eyebrow at the question and leave the office shaking his head and chuckling to himself. He never actually ordered anyone to take up bookkeeping duties while he was overseer! I guess militia-dwarves don't care about how much the rest of us have so long as they have a weapon in their palm. Well, I have an office and I don't trust anyone else to do this, so I'm the bookkeeper now.

Once I'm done with this (i.e. at least a month from now) I want to pick up my axe once again and cut down most of the trees on the surface. All of the roots in the walls of the uppermost level of the fortress look unsightly.

5th Granite, 6
PsychoAngel's little "project" is ready, and it's more than I could have ever expected. He burst into my office carrying one of the ducks in his hands. It was probably the meanest looking duck I've ever seen, probably meaner than most dogs I've seen. It would try to pry itself from it's carrier's hands to get to me and quacked aggressively at me. Occasionally it would let out a sound resembling some sort of snarl—I didn't know ducks could even snarl!

So the commander of our future militia has taught ducks the art of war. I don't know how they might fare against creatures bigger and meaner than them, but this first encounter with one of them has convinced me that one of them could probably tear me apart if nothing else.

12th Granite, 6
I had to take a break from counting today to get some good rest and good booze. I've been so absorbed in taking stock of what we have that I've hardly noticed how much of a mess our fortress is with vermin remains on the floor everywhere. I'm not going to wait around until these little pieces of trash start stinking up the fort and make us all go crazy. I told the miners to dig out a space to dump the trash.

13th Granite, 6
I heard the sound of commotion coming from up above and rushed to the surface to see what was going on. Dwarves were all pointing to a couple of figures at the edge of our lands, inching closer and closer to the fortress. When they were close enough to see clearly, I could see that they were in fact two elves carrying goods to trade. I ran back to my office to check the records I have taken so far to see if we have anything non-wooden to trade with. I noticed that we have a few golden statues which I'm sure the elves would be happy to take. No real loss on our part, as the statue was pretty average quality anyway. I'll have more made, and these first few can be considered practice for our metalcrafter. Plus, the statues serve to signal to the elves how much we love ducks here!

15th Granite, 6
Trading with the elves concluded pretty quickly. Apparently just one of our statues was enough to buy anything they had that was worth buying, and the statues are too heavy for their animals to carry more than just one anyway. We now have some more food, a few extra buckets, a handful of splints and crutches for emergencies, and a bunch of exotic Elven instruments to amuse the fortress. I went up to the surface to talk to the elves briefly. They said they'd stick around for a little while longer to enjoy the scenery and in case we decided we wanted to trade more (with lighter goods). I told them by the time I come back to the surface they'll probably be gone; I'm going down below for at least the rest of the month to finish off the stockpile records.

12th Slate, 6
Apparently the elves left today, but I didn't see it happen. As it turns out, my prediction was right, for I had just finished my task as bookkeeper as they left our fortress. We now know exactly how much of everything we have, and now I can get back to work chopping down all of those trees. Maybe it was for the best that I didn't finish until the elves were gone.

A short update for the day. Fixing the graphics was a real pain.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2019, 11:02:19 am »

Guess I shoulda converted the tileset before upload, sorry.
I'm also very glad you decided to check the statue's image.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2019, 12:08:55 am »

Overseer’s Log
21st Slate, 6

A group of migrants arrived today and requested to settle in the fortress. Given that there's a lot to do and not enough hands to do it all, I was more than happy to welcome them, though given some of their professions I'll need to have some of them take up new trades in order to be of use to me.

I've compiled a list of the migrants, not including their pets and livestock:
  • 1 fisherdwarf
  • 1 gem setter
  • 1 animal trainer
  • 1 trapper
  • 1 mason
  • 1 stoneworker
  • 1 carpenter
  • 2 woodcutters
  • 1 diagnoser
  • 1 suturer
  • 1 trader
  • 1 milker
  • 1 cheese maker
  • 1 presser
  • 2 blacksmiths
  • 1 metalcrafter
  • 1 weaver
  • 1 papermaker
  • 2 children

4th Felsite, 6
The gem setter who migrated not even two weeks ago has started acting strange, rushing to the jeweler's shop and scrambling all over looking for gems.

9th Felsite, 6
Momuz emerged from the workshop today, looking as if he had woken up from some long sleep or trance. After he collected himself he dragged out a floodgate he apparently carved out of a large chunk of amethyst. It's not the most impressive thing I've ever seen, but it seems like he's gotten a lot of experience out of this.

27th Felsite, 6
Over the past few weeks I've had the miners dig exploratory tunnels in different parts of the cavern. Today, a miner reported a tunnel leading into the depths below.

I can only presume that this leads into more caverns. I haven't had the miners explore it yet; the beasts that roam down there are probably a lot worse than what's in the uppermost levels.

1st Hematite, 6
The miner who had just a few days ago discovered the downward passage ran into a giant cave toad while while in the middle of digging. He was able to make it out, but not without a few injuries and screams load enough that I could hear him from up here in my office.

PschoAngel heard the screams as well as I did and burst into my office demanding permission to "mobilize the army" (i.e. go down there with a spear and a couple of his war ducks). I was happy to comply, wanting to see how the war ducks fared in battle. I also didn't want to wait around and let the situation with the toad get any worse. Nothing came of letting him go down there though, as by the time he was down there the toad was already gone.

6th Hematite, 6
I ran into PsychoAngel today during work. He told me that Imic had spent the day crying on him over the lack of goblets and mugs in the fortress. This is an easy problem to fix, which is why I'm ashamed it didn't get solved sooner. We have plenty of stone and a few of the migrants aren't doing anything anyway, so I ordered them to get working on mugs until further notice.

4th Malachite, 6
Bad news. Our expedition leader and "militia" commander PsychoAngel visited my office again today looking upset. Apparently he had been upset over the incident with the giant cave toad and was itching for a fight and a chance to test out his war ducks.

I told him he was free to kill one of the dralthas that had been wandering down in the caverns for a while, and he was out the door and heading towards the stairway before I even finished my statement. He made short work of the creature, but one of his war ducks was not so lucky.

I hope the little guy recovers. PsychoAngel insists that the "paddling patriarch" is still in fighting shape, but I think it'd be better suited on a leash as a guard animal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13