Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

DFHack can raise the cap on animals. How many ducks can we handle?

50 (Normal)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 2 (18.2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 5 (45.5%)
- 0 (0%)
Unlimited Duckage
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 26, 2019, 07:50:41 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!  (Read 40716 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 01:15:02 am »

Been a little busy. I have notes ready for another post tomorrow afternoon.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 11:01:01 am »

I drew a duck on a post-it.

Hopefully I'll get a bit better before my turn.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 08:43:53 pm »

Overseer’s Log
5th Malachite, 6

Those war ducks just can't seem to resist starting fights with the underground beasts. Both of the ones that have been trained as of now are basically cripples now. I'm pretty sure that the only way these guys are going to be effective is if we get a ton of them and swarm our enemies.

2nd Galena, 6
Another group of migrants has just arrived, though much small in numbers than the last one:
  • 1 gem setter
  • 1 diagnoser
  • 1 bone doctor
  • 1 woodcrafter
  • 1 metalcrafter
  • 2 potash makers

One of the potash makers brought a pet duck. I'm glad to see that word has gotten out that our fortress is the place to be if you're a duck lover.

14th Galena, 6
We've made a enough mugs to solve our shortage, so I've told them to start making crafts out of the draltha bones that are lying around right now. The last we need is an overflowing refuse stockpile.

24th Galena, 6
Another incident occurred in the caverns today, and I'm beginning to lose patience with this whole affair. We're putting traps near the entrance as soon as possible. If creatures can be stopped from wandering into our fortress, that should cut back on injuries.

11th Limestone, 6
We have enemies near our gates. A miner sent into the caverns to dig out tin ore spotted a tribe of primitives, armed with weapons and feasting on the bones of a creature they had killed.

He said they only had wooden weapons and shields, with neither armor nor clothes to hide their nakedness. I don't imagine they'd put up too strong of a resistance to Dwarven weaponry. That said, he said that they had some sort of blowgun, and I don't want to imagine what would happen if they were to get a lucky shot with it.

14th Limestone, 6
The caravan and liaison have arrived. We have plenty of gold statues and draltha bone crafts to trade, and fortunately the wagons that dwarf traders use can actually carry off our heavy statues, unlike the mere pack animals of the elves.

24th Limestone, 6
Our cage traps have caught their first intruder: a giant cave spider. I'm glad I decided to set these traps up when I did; that spider could have done some damage if it had made it inside.

26th Limestone, 6
Another gem setter has suddenly started acting strange, and claimed a workshop and a single rough amethyst before beginning work. I wonder if this is some sort of occupational disease related to gem setting. The similarities between the two cases are uncanny.

27th Limestone, 6
Trading concluded today. Our broker bought out all of their food and metal, as well as much-needed coke and ore. Cloth was way too expensive, apparently, and as such none was purchased. That doesn't matter too much though, as we've been weaving our own silk anyway. Right before concluding, our fortress presented an offering to be delivered to the king: a freshly-trained war duck in a golden cage. I hope His Majesty is pleased by our innovation.

4th Sandstone, 6
The second gem setter's artifact is finished.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2019, 12:40:15 am »

Sorry that it's been slow from me; it has been a busy couple of weeks. I'll have the save and last update will be up tomorrow evening at the latest.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2019, 09:17:35 pm »

Here's the save. Post coming soon.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14406

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2019, 12:51:20 am »

Alright. Will pick it up in the coming days. Probably won't yet have time this weekend.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2019, 03:27:25 pm »

Even I haven't been on in a few days, and I'm supposed to be keepin track. Don't worry, though, I've caught up.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 07:45:24 am »

((A quick get-to-know session. I don't even unpause the game. Numbers are for me to edit in screenshots once I get Imgur to work.))

Granite 1
They call me Dôbar “Icy Tea” Vabôblikot, and I’m the militia commander of Wavebirds. In truth, I’m the only damn dwarven soldier in this defenseless trainwreck of a fort. I’m not even a particularly good one; I used to be a ratcatcher. A trapper, not a warrior. Apparently that qualified me, however, as one day they came and gave me a spear. Today, equally mysteriously, they came to give me the overseer’s sash.

There are a number of war drakes, our feathered friends trained to be deadly combatants, but they alone won’t suffice. Our defenses currently consist of an easily-breakable drawbridge leading to a wider corridor and the central staircase to any location in the fort, if this unfortified hole can even be called such. After breaking the drawbridge, it only takes nineteen steps for an invader to reach the first civilian bedroom. Worse, the invader would be only twelve steps from the ducks! It’s true, I counted them! Some defenses clearly need to be built, and more soldiers recruited. For now, I ordered the construction of strong walls to block access to the vulnerable entryway, and of a long, winding entryway that can later be trapped and ending in the barracks to ensure swift response. This will slow down dwavres who work outdoors, of course, but security is more important than a few fruit. We have duck eggs to eat, don’t we? I adjusted the grazer pasture accordingly, so our non-duck animals will be safe as well. I left a few sun-slits in the design, so there should still grow enough grass for them to eat.

Speaking of the civilian bedrooms, the terribly wide fort entryway is contrasted by a terribly cramped corridor to the bedrooms; dwarves have to crawl under each others’ legs if they meet in the middle. I will need to build better bedrooms deeper, as these ones aren’t even dug into stone. I sent in orders to the miners to dig new bedrooms into stone, and conveniently near the dining room.

I asked the bookkeeper for a report of our current weapon and armour supply. Turns out, I’m holding it. This copper spear and shoddy bronze mail do not impress me. I’ve ordered the forging of ten sets of spear, shield, mail and helmet out of steel while I look for recruits. The bookkeeper reports that we do not have any steel. He thinks he saw a single bar of pig iron somewhere, so evidently we have the facilities to produce steel, we’re just not using them.

Now this is odd. There is some iron ore in the stockpiles, but the miners haven’t found any sedimentary of igneous extrusive layers. There is cassiterite and tetrahedrite, however, so bronze will have to suffice for our gear.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:26 am »

I'm terribly sorry, but it looks like I won't be able to finish my turn due to Imgur acting up and having to travel away from my primary computer for a while. I might sign up again once the situation improves, but for now it's better to pass the turn to the next player. Again, sorry.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2019, 04:27:56 pm »

I've PMd Imic that he's up

Edit: imic has replied that he is not able to take a turn at this time. So it seems I'm next
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:13:34 am by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2019, 01:30:41 pm »

Pregame notes: Dorfed Dôbar Vabôklikot as 'Icy Tea' as indicated by IcyTea31s pregame story. Also did what I could to do the same thing as mentioned in the same story - which I think should be considered canon.

Story time!

One day I was standing in a hallway, war drake standing next to me - as is common in our glorious fort of ducks. The chief medical dwarf comes up to me and says: "You're the overseer now."

"Quack quack."

"What happened to Icy Tea?", I ask. "Didn't she just become overseer?"

"Yeah, but after some basic orders to reinforce our safety, she quit. Or something", replies the CMD. "I don't know the details."

"Oh, alright. I better get started on this overseeing business", I say.

"?" The CMD looks baffled. "Oh, you thought I was talking to you?"

"Waitwait. wait. Now hold on just a minute. You can't make a duck overseer!", I exclaim.

"QUACK!", the Duckverseer quacks. "QUACK! Quack quack!". I struggle to maintain control of the drake.

"?" The CMD looks confused, again. "Why not? Ducks are the entire purpose of this fort."

"?" I must look as confused as the CMD. "Yeah, but.. y'know. They're not very intelligent."

"QUACK!"

"You mean you don't understand the ducks?" The CMD asks.

"No."

"Okay. So the duckverseer is saying you should be thrown in jail for your treason against ducks - trying to deny a duck the right to become overseer."

I look at the duckverseer. The duckverseer looks at me.

"Quack. Quack quack quack. Quack."

"Now he's saying that because of the lack of jails, you'll be indentured to serve as his secretary instead. I guess I should teach you how to understand him."

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Ledpaddled

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2019, 01:54:26 pm »

Overseer's journal of "Icy Tea", last entry

They told me I could spend time with ducks here. Seems all I do is interview potential recruits. Nobody knows how to hold a spear. Bah, forget it. The war drakes make better soldiers than we do. If only they could lead themselves so I wouldn't have to spend all my time overseeing the fort and play with the ducks. Maybe they could. Definitely worth an experiment...

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2019, 02:59:04 pm »

Journal of Ezum 'Duck Secretary'

Just my luck. At the start of the day I was broker with a side job of engraving. Next thing I know I'm being named overseer - or atleast I thought so. Turns out it was the duck I was pasturing that was being named overseer. And I ended up with a "promotion" to duck secretary. Writing for a duck. How absurd.

I mean I like the ducks and all. But this seems a little over the top. Maybe more then a little. I wonder if any of the other dwarves think so too? I guess I can rule out Icy Tea, since she supposedly was the one to name the duck overseer.

I hope I get to keep my broker job - I really like trading.
Ledpaddled

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2019, 04:28:11 pm »

Queue me up please.
This fortress lacks duckage absurdities, and I have promissing ideas
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2019, 10:44:23 pm »

Queue me up please.
This fortress lacks duckage absurdities, and I have promissing ideas
You got it, my man.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13