Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

DFHack can raise the cap on animals. How many ducks can we handle?

50 (Normal)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 2 (18.2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 5 (45.5%)
- 0 (0%)
Unlimited Duckage
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 26, 2019, 07:50:41 pm

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!  (Read 40171 times)

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity - Overseers Wanted! Quack!
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2019, 12:35:05 am »

If we don't have one, we should also make a lavish statue garden full of lush grass, fine stone statues, and of course, ducks and their ponds. The statues would invariably have to be of ducks as well.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2019, 10:34:15 pm »

Year 9, 01-01: :(

A day that will be mourned forever in Wavebirds. Day 1 of Year 9 was the day Duckylord, Paddling Patriarch, left us. He was found peacefully at rest, having quacked his last.

Also lost to us were the brave War Drakes Zulban Nekolrith and Udib Aristudib.

A tomb beneath PsychoAngel's was dug, and the ducks laid to rest in golden sarcophagi.

Behind Duckylord's tomb is a statue memorializing his feathery greatness and his ascent to exalted status in the realm beyond life.

Zulban Nekolrith and Udib Aristudib lie in state behind Duckylord, each with his own memorial to great and certainly not exaggerated deeds in life.

But the dwarves know in their hearts that Duckylord is still with them in spirit. He is forever flapping above us as a new patron saint of Duckness, and all ducks will be raised to join him when their time comes.

In the mournful statue garden of Duckylord's tomb is also found statues of duckly ascension to the afterlife.

Year 9, 01-24:

Ingish Kubukid has created Ashmontomus, a raw adamantine throne!

Think the throne should go in Duckylord's tomb?

(Edit: ooh, you can assign locations to Statue Gardens. Duckylord's tomb/garden is now officially part of The Bejeweled Abbey, fort temple.)

(Edit 2: Whoa, it's a recursive artifact! It's an adamantine throne with a picture of itself (in adamantine) on it.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:32:40 am by gchristopher »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2019, 12:34:43 am »

Here is a draft lua script for dfhack to properly ensure that all Citizens love ducks. It should add a correctly constructed animal preference to all dwarves that do not already have one for ducks.

It's been mildly tested. Any thoughts/suggestions/objections before doing brainwashing?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2019, 09:43:19 am »

Considering the theme of the fort, I wouldn’t consider it to be brainwashing since the whole reason people come to the fort is for the ducks. ‘Tis how it’s meant to be.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2019, 12:05:20 am »

Done! They all love ducks now, in addition to whatever they loved before. (Except for the three original duck lovers who are unchanged.)

Year 9, 02-28:

QUAaaaaaAAAAaaaAAACK

OMG OMG OMG.

What do we do? We don't have any FB traps ready yet. (Close to having one, though. Build faster!!) Do we all run out and worship it? What if it gets hurt by that stupid giant goat thing?

QUAAAAAAaaAAAAACK

What are the dwarves to do on the arrival of this terrifying, majestic, creature? Do we just open the drawbridge and let it in? Do we dare refuse it?

(Note: This is actually, genuinely random, no dfhackery involved. I do not remotely have a plan for this contingency.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:06:30 am by gchristopher »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duck Fortress: Seaside Absurdity
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2019, 02:02:17 am »

Year 9, 02-29:

QUAaaaaaAAAAaaaAAACK

It quacks. Oh, but it quaaaacks.

It quacks our doom, and we rejoice and despair. It calls to us, and we hasten to open the gates, to open our hearts, to rush out to it, to dance around it. Oh, it quacks.

Pull the lever! Dwarves rush downwards, wide-eyed, ecstatic, heedless.

It is the Quacken. It is Duckthulu. It is the Quackening.

Let it end this way, beautiful and perfect and in sublime ducky majesty.

But then,

Quack!

That quack, so sharp, so precise, so commanding.

It's the Duckverseer!

Quack! Quackquack! Quack! Quackquackquack! Quack!

The Duckverseer rushes to the fore, shouldering dwarves out of the way, quacking commands!

- That last fortification, finish it NOW! NOW!
- The amethyst floodgate, Thimasis, Hushdtrots, created by Cerol Akrulnakuth, original duck lover, the first artifact of Wavebirds, bring it!
- Shorast Lisidmafol, Miner, cut one of the three remaining walls at the end of the tunnel.
- Levers, the other levers, the ones near the unfinished silk farm, pull them, PULL THEM!

The dwarves rush to obey, Shorast cuts open the last wall of the unfinished tunnel, opening to the caverns, then retreats just as the artifact floodgate is placed.

Year 9, 03-03:

Oxox Uspsastremzu Kagussat comes charging down the tunnel!

QUAAAACK! QUAAAAAAAACK! QUAAAAA (slobber) AAAAACK.

Quack. Quaaaaaaaack.
Steaaady. Steaaaady.

The duckstrosity charges down the tunnel and begins to batter the floodgate Thibamesis.

QUACK!

A lever is pulled, stone gears grind and great slabs of stone slide and shift.

It is trapped, but still its unearthly quaaaaaaaacks resonate through the halls.

Quack! Quackquack. Quack.

More levers are pulled, a bridge lowers and a caged spider is released, where it promptly begins spewing webs in pure terror at the duckbomination held at bay by only a single fortification.

QUAAACK

QUAAAAAACK!

QUAMRRPPMMPPHHHH

MRMMPH MRRRMMMMPPHH mrmph.

Year 9, 03-04:

Oxox Uspsastremzu Kagussat grumphs furiously, but is thoroughly muffled by a steady stream of panic-induced giant cave spider silk.

Quack. Quackquack. Quack.
These dwarves are mine. Go get your own, duckzilla.

Quack, quack indeed.

(Editor's note: The silk farm had been in progress for a while, but seriously, I can't believe this worked. No save/reload, this was terrifying.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 04:10:35 pm by gchristopher »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:56 am »

Quack ??

A giant duckzilla ?!! Sooo soo cool !
Now. We must move it in the center of our nest and start a cult for the giant duck-thlu !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2019, 03:09:44 pm »

I am so glad we got a duck FB. Would've been hilarious if it shot webs. "Our dwarves are clothed in divine silk!"

Regardless, there must now be an annual festival in reverence to its arrival. The 28th of Slate is now the Day of the Duck.

Also, are there any edits I need to make to the OP? I feel like I probably missed something by now.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:11:38 pm by PsychoAngel »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2019, 08:10:23 pm »

We must move it in the center of our nest and start a cult for the giant duck-thlu !
Sounds good! I might leave that to the next duckverseer, though. It's not caged, so there's some adventures in store for that goal.

Regardless, there must now be an annual festival in reverence to its arrival. The 28th of Slate is now the Day of the Duck.
Yes!

Also, are there any edits I need to make to the OP? I feel like I probably missed something by now.
Other than needing more dorfings, duckings, and overseers, I don't think so!

Year 9, 03-17:

With the giant duck contained, the dwarves are back to industriously working to better the lives of their ducks.

Next was turning the center fortress stairwell into a birdbath!

The waterfall was for the ducks, but the dwarves seem to like it too.

The power pumps weren't built quite right, so that section needs some fixing.

Year 9, 04-09:

After an interminable period of messing with axles and gears for millstones to make paper, (and Chief Mechanic Ezum Sharavuz trying not to disturb the duckverseer perched on her head), a the ducks have added a Library to their roost for the purpose of advancing the knowledge of all duck-kind.

Three of the best and brightest ducks have moved to the library in search of enlightenment. These wise "Bird Brains" will need some small assistance from the resident dwarves, to record their deep thoughts.

It came time to pick who to be scholarly duck-underlings? In the time-honored tradition of academia, the dwarves were chosen from the most knowledgeable, and the most moody and depressed.

Chief Medical Dwarf Morul Feshlogem and experienced Diagnoser Stodir Orrenshem will assist the ducks in their scholarly endeavors.

Perrpetual complainers 'Imic' Akrulduthnur, 'Sprig' Logemozsit, and Shorast Lisidmafol will join them, as well. Maybe some time working closely with ducks will cheer them up?

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2019, 11:29:54 pm »

I really like the Bird Brains. This fort never ceases to put a smile on my face.

Do we have dedicated Emotional Support Ducks yet?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2019, 06:22:43 pm »

I think I trained too many War Ducks, and petcapRemover is unfortunately not getting us more fertilized eggs. We might have to turn to trading or some other method to get Emotional Support Ducks and finally build the Asylum for Wayward Dwarves. There are four grumpy dwarves, and Sprig is the only remaining Unhappy one. Maybe we should try assigning him to be a performer somewhere the ducks can watch?

After their brush with Duckthulu, the Duckverseer plans to spend Summer and Fall building up basic resources to be better prepared for future surprises.

Meanwhile, down in the second cavern, chaos reigns.

Year 9, 05-15:

The Forgotten Beast Thol Mokrek has come! It is a giant lizard, beware its deadly dust!

Thol Mokrek charges into battle with Romi Ayanurete, our resident giant flying goat. After a lengthy battle, Romi kicks Thol in the head bending the neck and causing it to break off and fly away!

Quack?

Yes, his neck came off.

Quack?

No, his head is still attached. It's just his neck there on the ground. His head is still on the body. What?

After this epic feat of ninjitsu, kicking an enemy the head so hard their NECK flies off, Romi Ayanurete is badly wounded and suffering from deadly dust poisoning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quack. Quackquaaaack.

Agreed, that is really gross. Romi is staggering in a cloud of its own miasma from its swollen, rotten flesh.

Moving on:

Year 9, 05-23:

Wow, being an academic is rapidly driving Shorast Lisidmafol insane. He absolutely hates discussing diseases and tumbler locks. He went back to being a miner and seems to be much happier now.

Year 9, 06-03:

Under the tutelage of the Bird Brains, Morul Feshlogem has written Wavebird's first scroll of knowledge!

It's... a story about how he became a scholar. It doesn't mention ducks at all!?! So far this foray into academics has been a failure. (What was more disturbing was how the other dwarves enjoyed reading this, our only book.)

Year 9, 06-06:

Iteb Sigunsavot, Farmer, is taken by a fey mood and claims a mechanics shop!

Year 9, 06-13:

Iteb has crafted an extremely expensive "mechanisms"!

Year 9, 06-16:

Tekkud Lelgasiteb has given birth to a boy! That brings our population up to 93. (Probably don't want any more migrants!)

Year 9, 07-16:

Traders arrive, and we buy 1.3 million worth of goods, including every scrap of metal and oodles of leather! Maybe the ducks will have new ideas if they're no longer so short on steel!

As you might have observed, Summer was more quiet, trying to tidy up messes so the ducks can have a clean slate for their next big project!

Maybe next, they can-

Year 9, 09-17:

Is that...? Yes, that is definitely a fire-breathing dinosaur.

Hoo boy.

Sooooo, hate to duck out suddenly, but this is the PERFECT time for a new overseer to take over, I think.

Quack! Quackquack! Quack! Quack!

The Duckverseer's got this! What could go wrong?

Oh and, because you were definitely wondering:
Year 8, 12-03: ...
Close by, a frightened pangolin curls up into a ball, terrified by the fierce quacks.
That pangolin is still in a terrified ball outside the front gate. Ducks are scary.

(Handoff post and save file will be next!)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:13:01 pm by gchristopher »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2019, 07:46:53 pm »

This turn ran slightly over 1 year (since Spriggans donated a few extra months), and I did not build the Asylum for Wayward Dwarves, nor did I build a roller coaster, nor did I build a mandatory swimming pool full of 5/7 water for dwarves to splash around with their beloved ducks, nor did I build any defenses, or work on the militia, or make a duck launcher/flight trainer, or pour magma anywhere, or send out a party of War Ducks to raid the goblins, or do ANYTHING with all these lovely adamantine bars that have built up.

So many adventures our duck-loving dwarves could be having, and there's still a few months left in year 9! Overseers are welcome!

The save is Year 9: 09-19, also leaving a little extra time for the next overseer if they'd like. Summer and Fall were mostly about cleaning up messes and leaving plenty of resources for the next overseer (as previous overseers did). There's also one or two ducky surprise details to discover that aren't in the posts. (Again following the excellent example of prior overseers.)

This fort has some pretty severe water/magma flooding risks and limited defenses, so it's probably worth mentioning a few important levers.

Z Level 94: Surface Defense Levers
Three levers here, added by a prior overseer, claim to control the front gate bridge, militia sally bridge, and trade depot bridge on Z98.

Z Levels 33, 53, 88: Cavern Bridge Levers
These levers control each control a nearby bridge in a lazy and half-baked defense of the cavern entrances.

Flying Magma and Flooding Every Z-Level
The fortress had a river feeding a well on Z98. That was one way to flood the entire fort if handled badly (or a future swimming building destroyer visits), but I think forts need LOTS of ways to flood/burn or .... um .... floodburn.

Let's look at an innocent-looking side-tunnel on Z88:

A shunt was added to the tunnel feeding the well, that flooded a stairway running all the way down to the magma sea. The gray lever controls a bridge on Z98 that was opens/closes that shunt, which supplies a few new additions like the waterfall cistern.

If obsidianizing the magma sea is your jam, enjoy!

If flooding ... everything below Z88 is your jam, definitely unforbid and open that door to the right.

Magma! The yellow lever is basically the off switch for the magma cart spiral. The actual magma machinery is water powered, and lives on Z-8 to Z-11. This lever will open a door on Z94 and after hurling their magma into the cistern, carts will pile up on the track to the left instead of falling down to be refilled. Letting dwarves in there while they're piling up is an OSHA violation. Letting ducks in is a crime. Carts can be put back into the magma cart spiral by assigning them to the "Loading Spot" stop on the "Magma Cart Spiral" hauling route. If you don't forbid the cart immediately after it is launched into the cart spiral and the dwarves chase after it, the results are Hilarious.

There's probably also the usual risk of flying magma going awry and flowing everywhere, but surprisingly I never saw that happen. That was weird.

More water:

The lever that pulls water from the main column to the waterfall cistern and upper fortress water reactors is on Z91:

This lever exists because I had to drain and re-fill that stupid cistern three times to fix mistakes. Now it's there for you to make your own mistakes. Enjoy.

Your Own Personal Pet Duckthulu!

The silk farm and improvised trap is on Z85.

I still can't believe that worked. You're not supposed to be finishing your trap as the forgotten beast is charging in.

Anyway, there's four levers.
  • The cobaltite blue lever opens/closes a hatch that drops the red minecart into a repeater loop. This flaps the bridge to allow silk to accumulate on a "Manual Web Drop" bridge just below it, so you can control when it finally falls to the collection area 1 z level down
  • The quartzite white lever controls bridges north and south of duckzilla, which is how it was trapped, and can be released. Fun!
  • The microcline light blue lever raises/lowers a bridge that opens line of sight between the spider and duckstrosity. Toggle it at the wrong time and the bridge will probably disintegrate.
  • The cinnabar red lever opens the red door, allowing the spider to be recaptured.

Where our ducks got crazy lucky (after some really obnoxious fortification carving) is getting the cage trap north of death duck. It's webbed now! There's at least some chance that lowering the bridges would let it be captured! Try it for yourself!

Automate All The Things

When I started the turn, my only idea, other than trying to be Ducktastic, was to move all the Things from the dirt layers down into the mostly already dug out stone layer workshop spaces. That'd leave all that nice dirt growing area for gardens or death-mazes or whatever. I broke down and set up some basic quantum stockpiles, too.

Now, someone who's really mastered workshop profile orders and conditions should be able to set up orders so all materials are processed, reserves are kept of each material type, and there's never any job cancellation spam.

You get my attempt, instead.

I think this will keep most of the fortress basics flowing, (except that I suspended thread processing because too much was building up) but it's still pretty heavy on cancellation spam.

Save File!

Here's the save game on dfdd!

Thanks PsychoAngel and all the other duckverseers! Let's hope the ducks go on to have more adventures!

Quack!

Saint DuckyLord says: "
Don't forget that the 28th of Slate (2nd Month) is now the Day of the Duck, in honor of Oxox Uspsastremzu Kagussat, 'Sword Smokerouts the Crazy Sabres' arriving in Wavebirds.

Jeez, that's a goofy name. Somebody rename that thing to Duckthulu or something."

Quack*
( *amen )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:08:13 pm by gchristopher »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2019, 08:08:31 pm »

I'm still lurkin'!

That, sir, was an immensely entertaining turn. Thank you. :))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2019, 03:50:17 am »

Very duck-worthy turn indeed !
Many thanks !
Looking forward for the next overseer.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

foxstew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2019, 10:29:39 am »

I'll play!
This is the only long-running game on the forums, so I'll give it a shot!
I just hope I don't break everything but I will make sure the ducks stay safe, even if their caretakers don't.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13