Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2D? Chess  (Read 5045 times)

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2D? Chess
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:05:59 am »

What notation could describe it?

You hear a lot about intellectual heavyweights playing labyrinthine games of 4D chess. You are not so good, so you think you'll try your hand at 2D chess, and work your way up.
You think so, anyway. Maybe you should make a move.
"Permission to fight has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory." -- The Quran, Sahih International 22:39.

“And when that day comes, I know you will move to the sound of the guns and do your duty, and you will fight, and you will win.” -- Mike Pence, to West Point graduates.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: 2D? Chess
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 10:49:00 am »

PTW. Also, this is a hyperbolic board, I think.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 03:26:12 pm »

PTW. Also, this is a hyperbolic board, I think.
You think that this is a "square" board drawn on Gabriel's Horn, a sort of anti-sphere. You aren't sure. You don't have any reference for anything.
"Permission to fight has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory." -- The Quran, Sahih International 22:39.

“And when that day comes, I know you will move to the sound of the guns and do your duty, and you will fight, and you will win.” -- Mike Pence, to West Point graduates.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 03:29:29 pm »

...Huh. I've no idea how the notation for this would even work, so...

Move the King's Pawn two squares forward.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 04:35:17 pm »

...Huh. I've no idea how the notation for this would even work, so...

Move the King's Pawn two squares forward.

1a.
You move the pawn in front of the King two squares forward, and ponder notation. You're going to need to become an intellectual who can play chess online without GLORIOUS NOTATION or an intellectual who can make any sort of notation for any sort of situation if you're going to play 4D chess!

1b - e.
Black and Red move in concord with you, both making the equivalent of an e4 opener. Blue and Yellow move their kingside knight.

What next?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 04:49:28 pm »

Adding the colour as a reference, we should be able to build notation from this. Thus our last move would be 'White e4'. Of course, that means the same square could potentially have four different names, but it's a start.

Anyway, I suggest we move the Queen to 'White g4'.

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 05:17:50 pm »

Adding the colour as a reference, we should be able to build notation from this. Thus our last move would be 'White e4'. Of course, that means the same square could potentially have four different names, but it's a start.

Anyway, I suggest we move the Queen to 'White g4'.

2a. Q/Wg4
You find a nice notation: just treat the whole thing like a series of seven rank chessboards, with two extra rows. You'll call the leftmost one z, and the rightmost one i. Maybe, just maybe, you could do better. Maybe you can't.
You move your queen to White's g4.

2b. P/Nd3.
2c. B/Rb5.
2d. N/Yf3.
2e. P/Bb4
Black advances a pawn. Red moves a bishop to what feels like the centre of the world. Yellow moves out a knight, threatening Red -- but that Blue, that Blue threatens you! You and your queen.
Who are these people you're playing against, anyway? And what next?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:21:15 pm »

QxWh5
Alternative notation: QxBb4

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 08:02:55 am »

QxWh5
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:29 am »

QxWh5

3a. QxWh5.
You capture the damned pawn.

3b. N/Nc3.
3c. B/Ra6
3d. P/Ye4
3e. P/Bc3
Black opens without opposition. Red has fun with their bishop. Yellow seems like they want to castle. Blue threatens your queen, again.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 01:25:43 pm »

It should be noted here that both Black and Blue hold the ability to "snipe" their Queens to either side of our King.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 02:03:09 pm »

Okay, question... what pieces does our Queen threaten right now? I need to know more about the way she interacts with the strange shape of the board.

klonk
Sigtext

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 08:56:28 pm »

Hm... Let me see. Looks like we'd swoosh past Red Bishop... wow.

We only threaten three pawns and a knight. Queens are dangerous indeed, but not now. Now, we

BACK IT UP!

Q/Wg4
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 08:29:50 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 09:18:39 am »

PTW. Might participate later.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: [1] 2