Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2D? Chess  (Read 5044 times)

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2D? Chess
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 12:50:54 pm »

It should be noted here that both Black and Blue hold the ability to "snipe" their Queens to either side of our King.
This is true. You wonder what reckless player (or chess intellectual!?) would make such a move, and get their queen captured so quickly? It kind of scares you.

Okay, question... what pieces does our Queen threaten right now? I need to know more about the way she interacts with the strange shape of the board.

FIGURE 1.
Your queen. Queens and bishops are unable to travel through the diagonals z3-d7, or i3-e7 to another player's board.
Doing all of this wondering puts you to sleep for a moment. You have a nightmare about one of your nebulous opponents.

FIGURE 2.
Colours so incoherent, and somebody else dominating the board! It's sickening.

Hm... Let me see. Looks like we'd swoosh past Red Bishop... wow.

We only threaten three pawns and a knight. Queens are dangerous indeed, but not now. Now, we

BACK IT UP!

Q/Wg4
Q/Wg4
+1

4a. Q/Wg4.
BACK IT UP BACK IT UP BACK IT UP
You get the hell out of blue hell.

4b. BxWf1.
4c. P/Rd4.
4d. B/Yg5.
4e. P/Bd4.
You watch in horror as Black curves round the landscape to capture, to consume your bishop. The other players continuing to open feels insignificant.

1 blue disadvantage. 3 white disadvantage.
"Permission to fight has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory." -- The Quran, Sahih International 22:39.

“And when that day comes, I know you will move to the sound of the guns and do your duty, and you will fight, and you will win.” -- Mike Pence, to West Point graduates.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 12:56:30 pm »

P/Wd3

This simultaneously blocks the Black bishop from retreating, gives our Queen side bishop access to move and supports our lone pawn.

That blue bishop can't actually threaten any of our pieces beyond the pawn, which will be protected by the Queen side knight's bishop's pawn.

Edit: Refers to the correct supporting pawn now.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:05:08 pm by Kashyyk »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 01:03:17 pm »

P/Wd3

This simultaneously blocks the Black bishop from retreating, gives our King side bishop access to move and supports our lone pawn.

That blue bishop can't actually threaten any of our pieces beyond the pawn, which will be protected by the King side knight's pawn.

Clever. +1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 01:32:39 pm »

P/Wd3

This simultaneously blocks the Black bishop from retreating, gives our Queen side bishop access to move and supports our lone pawn.

That blue bishop can't actually threaten any of our pieces beyond the pawn, which will be protected by the Queen side knight's bishop's pawn.

Edit: Refers to the correct supporting pawn now.

P/Wd3

This simultaneously blocks the Black bishop from retreating, gives our King side bishop access to move and supports our lone pawn.

That blue bishop can't actually threaten any of our pieces beyond the pawn, which will be protected by the King side knight's pawn.

Clever. +1
That's a stellar move! You're about to do it:

FIGURE 3.
when the police roll up to the door, and tell you that's illegal. They laugh in your face. "Check yourself before you check yourself." So cruel.
"Permission to fight has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory." -- The Quran, Sahih International 22:39.

“And when that day comes, I know you will move to the sound of the guns and do your duty, and you will fight, and you will win.” -- Mike Pence, to West Point graduates.

TrickleJest

• Bay Watcher
  • I write things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 01:54:19 pm »

King captures? If I understand this right.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:56:03 pm by TrickleJest »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 02:23:37 pm »

It's illegal to make a move that would immediately result in failure? Jeez, what kind of tyrannical hell game is this? I propose that we go play connect 4 instead.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 02:24:32 pm »

Yeah, we could just do a King capture. We lose out on castling though. Better than Blavk getting away with it Scot free though

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 12:02:54 pm »

King captures? If I understand this right.

5a. KxWf1
You crush the bishop.

It's illegal to make a move that would immediately result in failure? Jeez, what kind of tyrannical hell game is this? I propose that we go play connect 4 instead.
There are no Connect 4D tournaments, sadly.

Yeah, we could just do a King capture. We lose out on castling though. Better than Blavk getting away with it Scot free though
Of course! You can't allow such a slight to blight you without reproach.

5b. Q/Ng4.
5c. N/Rf3.
5d. P/Yg3.
5e. P/Be3.
Opening, opening, yellow skips a bishop for bishop trade, blue closes it off. Black's queen is out in the open.
What next?

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 06:23:54 am »

You're feeling hopeless... maybe you should give up on becoming an excellent 4D chess player? Your aspirations will be spoiled eventually, won't they?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 12:29:04 pm »

NWc3
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

anaphaxeton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 12:25:36 pm »

NWc3
You get tired of chess for a bit. So, you do some work, some exercise. You flitter from cafe to cafe, having conversations. But a Nordic man and an Armenian accost you. "Stop running from chess," they say in unison. You ignore them initially, but really, you want to win at chess. Chess, everywhere and in all dimensions.

6a. N/Wc3

So, you come back.

6b. N/Nd5
6c. Q/Rd3
6d. PxYf4
6e. B/Bd3
You'll always come back.

(also the commie reds play suboptimally but nobody's counting)

Pages: 1 [2]