Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 50962 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Doomhollow: The Doom Saga - Book 3
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2019, 03:15:45 pm »

Moonstone 17
A bard applied for residence, and I granted it.

Moonstone 23
I've noticed a lot more visitors lately. A whole troupe applied for residence, which I denied, since they were all elves.

Moonstone 26
A ranger has withdrawn from society. He is gathering wood and other items. Speaking of which, we're running a bit low, so I ordered a bunch of trees cut.

Opal 7
Lorbam Towndents has created a beautiful bracelet!

She has gained the title of Wood Legend, befitting her skill.

Opal 23
I've drafted a lot of the useless dwarves to smooth the fort. If we're going to be flooded with visitors, we're going to make the place look presentable! I also started the production of granite blocks near the beginning of my overseership, and they will be used to construct a small guard tower over the fort.

Obsidian 4
I've been speaking with the scholars a bit. They asked my about the possibility of building a medical school here. Their leader, Asob Oarblock, is not only the best doctor on the continent, but a legendary weaponsmith as well! I would love to keep her here, but I don't think I convinced her. My term is nearing an end anyway.

Granite 1
I'm done I hate you all have fun.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14408

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2019, 04:39:41 pm »

Journal of Ryukan

Well, we survived another year here, I guess that's a good thing. Poor Flame, the stress of the job really got to him. Tho thanks to him, the Glass Industry is now fully in swing and pumping out our glorious glass goblets. Flame didn't speak much at all this year, just kept to himself. I repect that in a way, silently doing your job. But man, this is getting dull. I'd almost wish for a siege or something (Please note Journal, that I would, in fact, NOT enjoy a siege, we have no military. I can be an idiot at times...).

On another note, Flame has handed the Rutile Hat off to Imic. I don't know why, but I find something really fishy about that character Imic, almost as if I've met him before or something....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 04:41:22 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2019, 05:23:59 pm »

Actually my dwarf is Reg, an elderly female smith. I didn't rename her, but I gave her a nickname of her own name to identify her.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2019, 04:50:57 am »

I've got the save. Write-up coming soon.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 08:05:19 am »

Imic has messaged me and said he can't finish his turn, Travis Bickle, you're up m8

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2019, 01:49:48 am »

Imic has messaged me and said he can't finish his turn, Travis Bickle, you're up m8
Cool. I'll get on that.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2019, 11:12:33 am »

Journal of Dark One

How the time passes... The reign of Reg 'the Flame' is over, and it seems that the overseers so far were rather competent. Gods gave us very talented folk, and some of them received inhuman skills during their moods! I overheard that our miners found caverns and riches aplenty, but Imic - one of them, died in a freak accident involving a falling boulder. What's more, the one who took his name to honour him was meant to be our next overseer, but ultimately stepped back. I'm not surprised. He's an odd fellow, brooding over books and avoiding others. He must've felt that he might be not fit to be an overseer, both Ryu and Flame are rather outgoing.

There is something that troubles me at night though. The bracelet that some ranger had made during a mood holds something strange within it, and ever since I've heard about adamantine in the caverns, I feel that there is some ominous presence waiting below. Furthermore, that Imic II looks like he's up to something...

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2019, 07:23:01 pm »

Fortress Report
Overseer: "Doc" (a pseudonym)
To: Whomsoever it may concern
Date: 1 Granite, 502

Introduction
I am presently unaware of whom exactly is funding this entire operation, and as such I am unable to formally address the reader. However, I felt it would be proper to write reports on the happenings of the fortress as long as I am overseer of its affairs.

I was just selected to be the overseer of Doomhollow, a small fortress located far to the north of the rest of Dwarven civilization. Doomhollow is controlled by a group calling itself The Sands of Doom. I arrived at this fortress on the 8 Slate, 501, partway into the second year of its existence after my husband and I joined with a migrant group. Despite being a recent arrival, I was selected to lead this fortress for the year of 502. I was actually the second choice of the previous overseer, but the initial selectee declined, preferring to spend his time in study.

Fortress Inhabitants
The dwarves residing in this fortress strike me as a rather secretive, suspicious, and superstitious group. Most prefer to keep to themselves and do not share much of their personal lives or intentions with others, and when they do speak with other individuals, it is often in hushed whispers, behind closed doors using cryptic phrases. Even in the months preceding my selection as overseer I occasionally found myself within earshot of dwarves speaking softly about who was going to wear the "rutile hat" (see footnote 1). When they noticed that I was listening in, they quickly switched to talking about the weather (see footnote 2). Despite the general secrecy of the citizens, however, I have managed to single out a handful of dwarves notable enough to be mentioned in this report. These will be listed in the following paragraphs.

Ryuken: Effectively the founder of the fortress, the first overseer, and the expedition leader from the founding of Doomhollow until the election of a formal mayor. Most of the fortress is apparently her design, as is the bustling glass industry; we have well over 1,000 green glass goblets. A cursory analysis of this character is that she is very suspicious of her fellow dwarves—perhaps even more so than most of citizens. She is always checking over her shoulder as if she expects a crossbow bolt to be aimed at the back of her head. Presently engaged in masonry now that she has retired from a leadership role.

Reg: An elderly and skilled metalcrafter. She was the second overseer of the fortress and by immediate predecessor in the job. Appears to have spent most of her year engaged in exploratory mining, adding little to the main level of the fortress. Thanks to her efforts, however, we have several magma-powered forges deep below our fortress, as well as knowledge of the location of precious raw adamantine.

Imic II: Not his real name; pseudonym is an homage to a dwarf killed in an unfortunate accident. Originally selected to be the third overseer of the fortress, but declined. Spends most of his time reading, speaking barely a word to anyone.

Dark One: I am going to presume this is not his real name, but I cannot make thorough comments on the cruelty of his parents. A very skilled woodworker, but definitely one of those dwarves who prefers to speak cryptically and quietly. Occasionally gazes nervously to the north.

I have much less to say about the following dwarves, yet they are still notable enough figures in the fortress that I feel they are worthy of mention.

Erin Quill: She is the manager, bookkeeper, and broker.

Scourge: He is a legendary miner.

Psycho: Claims to have been a beekeeper by trade before, but he now works as a funace operator due to the lack of a beekeeping industry in Doomhollow.

Moony: She is a stone crafter.

State of the Fortress
I shall preface this section of my report by saying that I have no experience overseeing a fortress.

The design of the fortress is likely the product of a thoughtless and diseased mind. Most of the fortress is located on one of two levels: the entrance level and the main level located six levels below. The main entrance consists of several workshops and stockpiles next to the farms, which supply us with our main source of food. These are both located right next to the main drawbridge and the road leading down into the fortress proper. Any invaders that got past the drawbridges would easily prevent us from accessing these stockpiles and farms, probably killing several citizens in the process. My predecessors apparently tried to combat this by having the military (i.e. two dwarves) train in a guard tower connected right above this section of the fortress. The stairway connecting to the guard tower also happens to be placed in the middle of the road, preventing any wagons from getting to the trade depot. As for the guard tower itself, it doesn't have a roof, and actually renders the drawbridge irrelevant to anything that can fly.

The main section of the fortress is no better. The depot section can be sealed off with two drawbridges with the pull of a lever. However, sealing that section off also seals off our access to the mines, caverns, graves, and forges. The rest of the fortress is cramped, seeming like it was designed for a small expedition instead of a fortress with over 70 citizens. I can definitely attest to the inadequacy of the small "hospital" that we fortunately have not had to use much as of yet. My first objective as overseer shall be to greatly expand the fortress and make it more secure from any invaders.

Below are some drawings to illustrate my comments on the state of the fortress. Fig. 1 depicts the entrance level of the fortress. Figs. 2 and 3 depict the main level of the fortress.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Footnotes:
1. Apparently a provincial phrase for the leadership of the fortress. Probably figurative, as if there is any literal rutile hat no-one has bothered to give it to me yet.
2. If the reader is wondering how the weather is at Doomhollow, it is shit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:20:03 pm by Travis Bickle »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2019, 08:08:19 pm »

Journal of Ryukan

This Travis fellow is certainly something. The way he observes everything in a matter of fact way. Dont think I didnt hear my good name be besmirched. "Brainless Moron" indeed. I'll be writing Tombcrest about this, maybe get him "volunteered" to the Coal Mines of Crackmouth, heheheh

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:35:42 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2019, 08:13:36 pm »

I had much the same reaction when I loaded up the fortress. I added like two rooms, the forges, and a few workshops. The terrible layout can be put entirely on Ryukan. :P

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2019, 08:16:46 pm »

I had much the same reaction when I loaded up the fortress. I added like two rooms, the forges, and a few workshops. The terrible layout can be put entirely on Ryukan. :P

I will not stand this insult to my obviously genius Fortress design! Why would an enemy bother attacking the Fortress proper when they already have the farms and the mines! It's a fool proof plan I tell ya  ;D

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2019, 05:24:50 am »

Wow, this fortress has had a suprisingly few hiccups(aside from the unfortunate loss of Imic I) so far by DF standards, lets see how long it'll last :P

Could i be dorfed as 'Striker' as that metalsmith that came in during Flame's turn? Unless something has already happened to him, in which case, any unnamed dorf with anything to do with hammers will do.

Some guy dorf:''Tell me about yourself.'
'Striker':''I hit things. With a hammer.''
Some dorf:''Thats it?"
'Striker':''Yup.''

I won't be taking a turn however, I am way too bad at fort mode for that.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2019, 10:55:16 am »

I won't be taking a turn however, I am way too bad at fort mode for that.

That means you're perfectly qualified, I'll sign you right up!  ;D

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2019, 09:18:36 pm »

OOC: Sorry for the lack of posting; work is taking its toll on my free time. I'm going to be posting in monthly updates, which should help to keep them short and easy to manage. This should also allow anyone who wants to RP to react to what's going on in the fortress better.

Excellent Write-up style so far, I like it
I'm glad you like the style. Given that my dwarf is a doctor, I was going for the sort of report I would expect a doctor to make as if she was diagnosing the fortress. I should point out, though, that my dwarf is a female named Doc, not a male named Travis.  :)

Fortress Report
Date: 1 Slate, 502

Introduction
With one month of my overseership finished I feel that it is once again necessary to put into writing exactly how the fortress is progressing. Given that I am still unaware as to whom these reports will eventually be given it is likely that several of these reports will go written and unread before finally being delivered to the reader. This will, however, let the eventual recipient see the gradual evolution of the fortress under my leadership.

Industry in Doomhollow
One of the first actions I took as overseer was to cancel a large order to smooth out the present living space. The labor of our stoneworkers is too valuable to be wasted on such a task at this time, especially considering my long-term plan to have another level dug out below, which will render many of these rooms that were being smoothed out obsolete. On a related note, I declared a moratorium on our glass industry, much to the chagrin of Ryuken (see footnote 1). My reasoning was that we already had more than enough glass goblets and that our glassworkers would be more beneficial to our fortress as metalworkers and furnace operators. As of this writing, we are sitting on a large supply of iron, steel, and other valuable metals which should be put to better use than dust collection in the stockpiles. Given that the fortress is hardly secure as it is, the first thing this metal will be put toward is armor and weaponry for our fledgling militia. Fig. 1 is the first list of orders I gave to the manager, Erin Quill, during my tenure. Note that the statues are statues of our gods to be used in future temples that I am planning.

Fig. 1

Although I sense that some of the dwarves are unhappy with the changes I have made, I am confident in their capabilities to fulfill my orders. The mayor, at least, seems to be on my side, as she issued a mandate for the production of greaves shortly after I gave my order to the manager, perhaps as a way to motivate our metalworkers. On the topic of our metalworkers, Striker, a blacksmith who arrived last year, seems enthusiastic to get to work in the forges. Her love for swinging the hammer is something I can describe only as baffling. Given that I will eventually need to have a justice system established in this fortress, I asked her if she would be willing to serve as the hammerer and occasionally strike flesh with the hammer instead of metal. I barely finished asking my question before she happily agreed and went back to work in the forges. I hope that we will not have to make much use of her hammer for anything other than metalworking, though. Although I understand the need to enact punishment on criminals, as a doctor it is my role to heal flesh, not damage it. I am happy that I will not have to be the one to swing the hammer.

The Militia
The militia—if it can even be called that (see footnote 2)—had only two members before I became overseer. As of now, two new members have been enlisted. Both of them were formerly involved in the fishing industry, an industry that has no real presence in this fortress. Despite their lack of experience, I am hoping that they both take to their new roles well. Once the steel armor gets finished, at least, they should be well-protected against most attacks and relatively safe.

Fortress Developments
The greatest change to the fortress during my first month of leadership was to the layout of the fortress itself. I could not think of a way to effectively re-route the wagon access to the depot around the guard tower stairs, so my solution was to dig a new entrance to the fortress entirely. Once the drawbridge is built at the new entrance and linked up to a lever, we can connect this pathway to the main entry ramp and seal off the original entrance. After that, we can connect the entrance level of the fortress to the main fortress with a new staircase. Fig. 2 depicts the plans for this new entrance.

Fig. 2

Down below in the fortress proper, I have had the first drawbridge taken out and the entry point blocked off with a wall. This should make it harder for our enemies to gain access to the residential sections of the fortress. The pathway to the downward stairway and the tombs has similarly been sealed off and a new path to them from the stockpiles has been dug. Now, if we need to seal ourselves off in the event of a siege, we will not lose access to our mines, forges, and tombs whilst at the same time giving our enemies free access to them. Several security problems still need to be addressed, but I am happy that at least this one has been taken care of.

As I mentioned before, I am planning on having another floor dug out in the fortress below the present main floor. My plan is for this new floor to be less cramped and have more workshop and stockpile space than we have at the present. Currently, the only sections that have been designated are a long hallway connected to the main stairway and a large dining room, capable of seating many dwarves comfortably. This dining room will also be where the levers shall be moved, so as to have them within easy reach of the dwarves. Fig. 3 depicts the plans for the hallway. Fig. 4 depicts the plans for the dining room.

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

Trading
In the middle of the month a caravan of elves arrived to trade with us. Fortunately, elves do not bring wagons, so the fact that we have not finished the new entrance did not deter them. Erin Quill conducted the brief trading with these visitors. A few goblets and cut gems were enough to buy a few spare sets of clothes, some of their exotic foods, and a set of extra barrels for storage. I also instructed Erin to purchase several splints and crutches from the elves, as I find such simple yet life-saving tools are often absent when you need them the most.

New Faces
In addition to the elves, several other interesting individuals showed up in just one month. Many of them were scholars, travelling such a far distance just to study in a cramped library. Amongst them were a mathematician, two scholars, an astronomer, a geographer, and a sage. One of the scholars happened to be a two-humped camel man, whose interesting appearance didn't seem to deter the loud discussions about right triangles which could be heard happening in the library. Other visitors included a couple of bards and an engineer. Another new face that made me much happier was a baby dwarf boy born to one of our clerks. I hope that he will be able to grow up safely within the walls of Doomhollow.

Footnotes
1. Ryuken seems to have a particular dislike for me. It seems as if she overheard some of my comments about her mental state as I looked over the layout of the fortress. This should serve as a reminder that dwarves speak in hushed voices in this fortress for a reason, that reason being that there is often someone listening.
2. I am not confident that our original "militia" could have held off even the smallest of sieges.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:59:52 pm by Travis Bickle »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2019, 06:59:33 pm »

Fortress Report
Date: 1 Felsite, 502

Introduction
My second month was as busy as my first. The completion of several projects, however, gives me great satisfaction.

Fortress Plans and Remodeling
The dining room is fully dug out as of this writing and a considerable portion of it has already been smoothed out. As of now, there is only one chair and one table set up. Given how long such a small space was allowed to suffice as a dining room, it should not surprise me that my predecessors neglected to have more tables and chairs built. This is only a minor setback, however, as I have ordered several to be made out of our plentiful supply of rock. Fig. 1 depicts the dining room in approximately the state it is in as of this writing.

Fig. 1

With the dining room completed, I have sketched up plans to have four small temples for prayer and worship dug out near the southern entrance of the dining hall. With the four statues I ordered last month finished, these spaces should be ready for use as soon as the miners have carved them out and the engravers smoothed the surfaces. Fig. 2 is a drawing of my plans for the placement of the temples in relation to the dining room.

Fig. 2

I am put most at ease by the fact that the new re-routed entrance to the fortress is finished and the new drawbridge is connected to a lever in the new dining room. The old ramps leading from the farms have been removed and the channels covered up; dwarves can now access this original entrance area by way of a small staircase leading down into the main fortress. Now any invaders will have to make it past two drawbridges—in addition to any further resistance we can muster against them—before they even come close to the farms or the main stairway. Fig. 3 depicts the entrance level of the fortress and the new path into the fortress. Fig. 4 shows how this new path connects to the original path into the fortress. Fig. 5 shows how the depot area looks as of this writing.

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

Fig. 5

With this finished almost all of my most pressing security concerns have been dealt with. All that remains is to construct a roof covering the top of the guard tower in case of any flying intruders. Still, even with external threats accounted for, I don't know whether or not I'll feel truly safe in this fortress. The way some of the dwarves here act is making me more and more uneasy. Knowing that at least Ryuken may in fact have it out for me, I'm spending as much of my time as possible in the company of the few dwarves I trust. One of these, the mayor, again made a gesture of support for my policies by banning the export of maces. Whilst I'm happy she shares my determination to ensure our military is well-armed, I didn't have the heart to tell her that we haven't even been making any to export.

Migration Wave
As far away from civilization as this fortress is, dwarves continue to travel considerable distances to come here. A large wave of migrants arrived this month, bringing little more than the clothes on their backs, the occasional hunting crossbow, and their livestock. I've compiled a list of these dwarves and their professions below:
  • 2 rangers
  • 1 animal caretaker
  • 1 brewer
  • 4 farmers
  • 1 beekeeper
  • 1 dyer
  • 1 potash maker
  • 1 fish dissector
  • 4 fishery workers
  • 1 mason
  • 1 peddler
  • 2 legendary stone crafters
  • 1 wood crafter
  • 1 jeweler
  • 1 peasant
  • 1 child
Several of these migrants have been reassigned to roles better suited for the development of the fortress. Four of them have been enlisted as soldiers, thus doubling the ranks of our militia. Several others have been ordered to work in the forges. Also, I have put in an order for more copper picks to be made. The amount of digging that still needs to be done will need more hands, and anyone not doing anything useful for the fortress will be made to swing a pick.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24